ADVERTISEMENT

Gleeson almost missed son’s birth for RU

Shiano, like every HC that is failing, needs an OC to use as a scape goat to deflect heat away from himself. I don't blame Schiano for going that route and I am sure Gleeson realizes it is part of the business.

Reactions: SHUSource
Yup. Several years ago, 2 days after cancer surgery on my abdomen, a client said I "had to" make a key meeting for a negotiation with a competitor. Felt every bump in the road for the 40 mile drive. Could barely sit upright. Meeting was a non-event and lasted 10 minutes. A year later, client pulled the work from us for no particular reason other than they did not like our multiple QB substitutions in one series.

In the end, it was a huge positive. After that, I never put work ahead of my life and well-being. Happier for it. Doing better health-wise, personally, professionally. Wish I had that perspective before the event, but sometimes getting kicked to the curb is a good thing. I have no regrets or bad feelings toward the former client. They did me a huge favor and did what I did not have the common sense to do myself and cut them loose when they started to become overbearing and not worth the money.
Never put work before family and a client that expects that is not a client you want or need

So we gave the OC a big raise because he wasn’t in charge of the O? He was the 1st 7 figure assistant at RU.
It was all about making a big show of everything. Gleeson, hiring Fran away from Temple, etc. It all looked pretty impressive for a minute until you remember who was still in charge.

Last edited:
The point is to link a story that some may find interesting. It was interesting enough at the time.
I nearly missed the birth of my daughter traveling for work to close a deal

It’s part of the job. If the deal didn’t go through, I likely would be looking alternative employment

I’m appreciative of SG contributions here, but it was time to move on

The Nebraska game was an embarrassment, and he’s walking away with nice chunk of change

It was all about making a big show of everything. Gleeson, hiring Fran away from Temple, etc. It all looked pretty impressive for a minute until you remember who was still in charge.
Fans were calling for him to be coach in waiting after year 1. It’s call accountability. He showed immediate results and got rewarded. He has regressed and is fired. That’s life.

And Flood coached us in the Russell Athletic Bowl while his mother passed away. He was fired too.

You can be loyal, and perform poorly, and eventually get fired for poor performance. In the end, was it worth it?

Imagine thinking Gleeson was the problem there.

And it’s the voices like yours that probably led GS to do this now. If he waited until the end of an unsuccessful season then it looks like he’s just making his OC the scapegoat.

The message here is loud and clear. The Temple game was called his way. He probably took heat for it (media blasted him) so he backed off and gave Gleeson an opportunity to call it his way. He didn’t like what he saw at Iowa or OSU but Nebraska was the last straw - circumstances just worked out such that there’s almost no doubt “his way” would’ve gotten a W on Friday. I think he really tried to be more hands off this time, but this loss was just too much. He needed Rutgers nation to know loud and clear that he was not behind those decisions.

Only some fans think GS is calling the O. It’s more probable that GS is calling the D but the haters don’t want to give him credit.

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Well
If the man in charge makes a OC change that is a good one, and allows that man to do his job uninhibited, it is a plus for the man in charge also
I don't know what you expect him to do otherwise
He has the other facets of the team pretty much in order

I say multiple times per college football season how in my next life that I want to suck at my job and get paid millions of dollars to no longer do my job because I sucked at it.

My wife just asked me yesterday “I don’t understand. Didn’t the Jets fire Todd Bowles? How is he now the head coach in Tampa?”

It sure is a tough business. I think on D Schiano can “get away” with a young coordinator who may not have experience at this level….because he does.

For O, I think for $1m / yr we can get someone with an incredible pedigree.
Let’s see what nunzio first. I was impressed with nunzio when he was interim HC. Let’s reassess after the season.

i never like to see these people get fired so publically but it comes with the job.

Gleeson can sit home and collect the rest of this and next year's contract. That' a huge chunk of change so I wouldn't be planning any benefits for him.

I'm no expert, just a dopey fan but if this change doesn't work any better then I'll start questioning the decisions being made at the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT