ADVERTISEMENT

HUGE Win for RU (24-0, really)! Nice Article by Politi

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Yeah, I know it was NW, who are in disarray, but sometimes teams with an us-against-the-world mentality rally and play well and despite their 1-11 record last year, they have some talent, plus this is a team we might not have beaten, much less stomped on, like we did today. Was it perfect? No, but it was pretty damn good, with fantastic defense (that last score almost doesn't count as they likely don't get the ball back w/o the dumb fumble by Rochelle - they only had 156 total yards until that point, due to our dominant defense) and pretty good offense that would've been better with Brown and Young playing.

But probably the most important thing to me was that Gavin Wimsatt played very well, as he was 17-29 and didn't throw bad passes - in fact he probably threw 4-5 away, when there was nothing there, rather than forcing them, so his stats were more like 17-25 (68% vs the 59% of 17-29), and he threw several gorgeous passes, plus ran judiciously and effectively - and how about that awesome TD catch by Strong? Great start to the season. Oh and who didn't love the "We want Dylan" chants after RHJ was introduced?

Liked Politi's article (paywall), especially this part:

That early drive was the best start possible. Really, the entire game was the best start possible for Schiano, whose program needs to start showing results in his fourth season. Yes, Northwestern is headed straight to the Big Ten basement, and no one should book flights to Pasadena just yet. Still, Rutgers absolutely, positively had to win this game to have any hope of a better season in 2023, and it did so convincingly in front of a packed stadium and a national CBS audience. You couldn’t have scripted a better opener.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...n-gives-fans-hope-politis-5-observations.html

Surprised that Politi wrote “packed” stadium. If SHI holds 52K, there were about 40k on hand.

Reactions: FastMJ
Even 40K for Rutgers & Northwestern in that kind of heat on Labor Day weekend is pretty good.

We keep playing like that and it’ll be a legit packed stadium
Absolutely. This fanbase is just dying for the team to be at least relevant and respectable again and those are within reach, as this is an improved team.

One thing I'm dying to see and I think we will see in future games is Wimsatt doing the RPO and taking the ball around the ends when they crash down on stopping the RB. It was there often against NW and I wonder if we just decided not to show it, since we didn't need to. Wimsatt isn't overly "quick" or "shifty" like some other mobile QBs, but his top end speed is excellent and if he can break containment on the RPO, he can sprint for 20-30 yard chunks.

Reactions: NBHPRU
Yeah, I know it was NW, who are in disarray, but sometimes teams with an us-against-the-world mentality rally and play well and despite their 1-11 record last year, they have some talent, plus this is a team we might not have beaten, much less stomped on, like we did today. Was it perfect? No, but it was pretty damn good, with fantastic defense (that last score almost doesn't count as they likely don't get the ball back w/o the dumb fumble by Rochelle - they only had 156 total yards until that point, due to our dominant defense) and pretty good offense that would've been better with Brown and Young playing.

But probably the most important thing to me was that Gavin Wimsatt played very well, as he was 17-29 and didn't throw bad passes - in fact he probably threw 4-5 away, when there was nothing there, rather than forcing them, so his stats were more like 17-25 (68% vs the 59% of 17-29), and he threw several gorgeous passes, plus ran judiciously and effectively - and how about that awesome TD catch by Strong? Great start to the season. Oh and who didn't love the "We want Dylan" chants after RHJ was introduced?

Liked Politi's article (paywall), especially this part:

That early drive was the best start possible. Really, the entire game was the best start possible for Schiano, whose program needs to start showing results in his fourth season. Yes, Northwestern is headed straight to the Big Ten basement, and no one should book flights to Pasadena just yet. Still, Rutgers absolutely, positively had to win this game to have any hope of a better season in 2023, and it did so convincingly in front of a packed stadium and a national CBS audience. You couldn’t have scripted a better opener.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...n-gives-fans-hope-politis-5-observations.html
Nice recap. Kind of a boring game but a win is a win and team played pretty good. Gavin did have 2 that should have been picked off but the one was a penalty on NW anyway. All in all a solid game for him. Would still like to see more RPO. I was very happy to see the WR’s making plays.

Reactions: RU848789
Nice recap. Kind of a boring game but a win is a win and team played pretty good. Gavin did have 2 that should have been picked off but the one was a penalty on NW anyway. All in all a solid game for him. Would still like to see more RPO. I was very happy to see the WR’s making plays.

Boring in the best possible way.

Agreed. I've never quite understood the hate for him - I actually think he's an excellent sports journalist.
OGC.8a947067f010a150be6c91aebfca73b5

Reactions: RU848789
Wrong? I was there. How many would you say we’re in the stands? It wasn’t near full. The top halves of both upper decks were scarce to empty and the North end zone was 75% full at best.
On TV it looked relatively full but there were empty sections showing and by EOG the entire endzone seemed to have cleared out.

I grade this game a B.

Running game was inconsistent--great for 3-4 series, but some real clunkers. WR's struggled getting open. Strong's amazing TD catch was one for the ages, but about all I can say positive for that unit. Wimsatt was the difference.

R d-line controlled the LOS. NW had some guys open but their QB was terribly inconsistent.

Agreed. I've never quite understood the hate for him - I actually think he's an excellent sports journalist.
I don’t want an excellent sports journalist. I want a 100% pro-RU supportive presence. I want local media to quash any negative news about RU sports.

The last thing we need are local sports writers who fancy themselves investigative journalists. Fvck a bunch of investigative journalism.

Absolutely. This fanbase is just dying for the team to be at least relevant and respectable again and those are within reach, as this is an improved team.

One thing I'm dying to see and I think we will see in future games is Wimsatt doing the RPO and taking the ball around the ends when they crash down on stopping the RB. It was there often against NW and I wonder if we just decided not to show it, since we didn't need to. Wimsatt isn't overly "quick" or "shifty" like some other mobile QBs, but his top end speed is excellent and if he can break containment on the RPO, he can sprint for 20-30 yard chunks.

We were saying this ALL game. It was there for the taking! And LOTS of green if he made one defender miss. So worth trying.

I almost wonder if they didn’t want to show that often. That’s even weird I guess. But can’t figure why else he wouldn’t have kept and run outside

Reactions: Scarlet83
I don’t want an excellent sports journalist. I want a 100% pro-RU supportive presence. I want local media to quash any negative news about RU sports.

The last thing we need are local sports writers who fancy themselves investigative journalists. Fvck a bunch of investigative journalism.
Fair.👍

R.a241eee9c00b951a11fa44669b0ad386

• Haha
Reactions: LeapinLou
Got it. You want Al.

P.S. He says cools your jets for a couple of years.

You may need to change your allegiances and move. i suspect that they are various cities and regions where the sports reporting will be more to your liking. This is not one of them.

I for one am glad of that.

Reactions: RUDivision
Wrong? I was there. How many would you say we’re in the stands? It wasn’t near full. The top halves of both upper decks were scarce to empty and the North end zone was 75% full at best.
Was there today like the the last 50 years - at least 48k in the building. Did you even look at the people standing ten deep in the shade all around the stadium. Of course you didn't - It would not fit your negative view of the world.

Was happy
Qb play was better
Play calling was better
Blocking was better
Receivers were better
Rbs are still jacking it
Penalties...what penalties!
Defense, despite lopsided was soft up front
Overall very good day

Was there today like the the last 50 years - at least 48k in the building. Did you even look at the people standing ten deep in the shade all around the stadium. Of course you didn't - It would not fit your negative view of the world.
I was one of those people standing around the top of the lower level for a while - near section 108. You’re saying there were was 20% of the attendance doing that? Cmon man. There were 42k tops. Be realistic.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Sorry. No way there was 48k in the building. Was pretty calm at the east side concession lines and concourses. We stood up in the shade most of the 3rd and 4th and it was not packed. My guess is maybe 42K in the house. Most of the rows still had plenty of space. Tons of empty spaces in the upper decks.

A big part of the game nobody is talking about were the lack of penalties. No false starts. No offensive holding. Nothing to shoot promising drives in the foot. Nothing egregious on defense to bail out the other team.
How many Rutgers games have you seen in your life that were cleaner than this one?

...and how about the replay reviews? Did every one favor us? The strong TD and multiple targeting calls negated. When has that ever happened?
I don't know if it's his decision alone on the calls but I'm pretty sure the head guy yesterday used to work for a different conference before the B1G. Face looked very familiar.

Last edited:
You may need to change your allegiances and move. i suspect that they are various cities and regions where the sports reporting will be more to your liking. This is not one of them.

I for one am glad of that.
In these various cities and regions of which you speak, do you suppose the people who live there are good at recognizing satire-laced comedic semi-truths? And enjoy that sort of thing? 🙂

Maybe you can convince RutgersAl to take a sportswriting job with the Star Ledger? I don't know anyone else on this fan site who writes nothing but positives about Rutgers.

Maybe you can convince RutgersAl to take a sportswriting job with the Star Ledger? I don't know anyone else on this fan site who writes nothing but positives about Rutgers.
There’s a wee bit of difference between not persistently attacking RU athletics and making dozens of ludicrously over the top optimistic predictions of RUFB success every year, none of which ever turn out to be true.

I’m not asking NJ.COM to lie or make rosy predictions. I’m just asking them to stop getting all their story ideas from the Syracuse forum‘s “we obsessively hate RU” thread.

I never find 16 play drives by RU boring.

There’s a wee bit of difference between not persistently attacking RU athletics and making dozens of ludicrously over the top optimistic predictions of RUFB success every year, none of which ever turn out to be true.

I’m not asking NJ.COM to lie or make rosy predictions. I’m just asking them to stop getting all their story ideas from the Syracuse forum‘s “we obsessively hate RU” thread.
I do want more of a protective press like all the big-time college programs have. The Columbus-Dispatch isn't running headlines about tOSU sports expenses or athletes missing classes lol.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I do want more of a protective press like all the big-time college programs have. The Columbus-Dispatch isn't running headlines about tOSU sports expenses or athletes missing classes lol.
Well, to be fair, OSU's sports expenses are probably dwarfed by their sports income. But I get your point.

Every reporter writing an article has a choice in how to represent the facts of a story. I could live with NJ.COM if the articles were consistently somewhere on the spectrum between neutral and positive. And there *are* often articles that lie on that spectrum.

But, like clockwork, we get these periodic articles that are nothing more than all out hit-jobs on RU athletics. Often just regurgitated articles from prior years. If reporting on finances, at least highlight all the benefits the university enjoys from being a member of the Big Ten - something that wouldn't have happened without football.

The RU president gets it. Why can't NJ.COM?

The NJ.com sportswriters and sports columnists who cover Rutgers are I think very fair. It is the news staff, headline writers, and editorial staff who folks object to - and I agree with some justification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT