ADVERTISEMENT

Gleeson

Need an OL , need more speed at WR and RB. Without that, it doesn’t matter. You can have Sid Gilman and Bill Walsh designing the offense and calling plays , it won’t matter. The penalties are happening on the OL because they are overmatched. The NW DL dominated the game.

At some point the talent argument is an excuse. We scored plenty last year, what happened?
I don’t think the 2020 season provided useable or reliable data for so man programs. Yes, the playoff wound up with a predictable collection of teams and I think that made many people forget how screwed up the season actually was. I always thought as data, it was useless to predict anyone’s progress this year.

At some point the talent argument is an excuse. We scored plenty last year, what happened?
I wouldn’t put too much on last year. An unusual year, people did not take RU seriously and now the blueprint of the offense is on tape. People adjust. Did you watch the game today? RU could not run the ball at all, the QB had to move a lot to throw. That should tell you all you need to know.

I don’t think the 2020 season provided useable or reliable data for so man programs. Yes, the playoff wound up with a predictable collection of teams and I think that made many people forget how screwed up the season actually was. I always thought as data, it was useless to predict anyone’s progress this year.
I watched Rutgers having fun last year throwing deep passes and running trick plays. It was enjoyable to watch even in a loss. This year we do none of that and the game is unwatchable.

Will people at some point realize that it's the players/talent and not the coaching? For sure Schiano is the right guy to flip the script and pull in better players, but urban Meyer wouldn't do better with these kids. It's just a fact. Noodle arm qbs and lines that cant effectively block are an issue we can't overcome

People talk like only Alabama and Ohio State can have a functional offense because, ya know talent. You see "untalented" teams score points every week. How do you explain Cincinnati or BYU? Not exactly 5 star factories.
Talent matters but so does coaching.

Serious question for anyone who has followed him - has he always been on the sideline or did he work in the booth?

Nothing frustrates me more than an offensive coordinator who forces his team to burn time outs because he can't get the f---ing play in on time. That series in the third quarter where we burned a time out, while coming out of of a time out, because the clock had run down and we had players still running on to the field with two seconds left on the play clock ... and then just after on 4th and 3 when we were going for it, we had a delay of game penalty, followed by a missed field goal, was inexcusable.

Any football coach (pop warner, high school, college or pro) who thinks it is absolutely necessary for him to wait until the last second before every snap because he needs the time to analyze the defensive set and get the extra-super-special best play called is too stupid to be a play caller (pop warner, high school, college or pro), imho. Every good play caller I've ever met knew what he was calling three plays ahead of time because he was setting up the defense with his previous calls.

Last edited:
Never seen so many horizontal plays. I guess if you can't hold a pass protection block and your QB is very average you don't have a lot of options with regard to throwing it down field. That performance today was very concerning across the board. Looked a lot like game day Greg 1.0.

Reactions: dasonata259
Never seen so many horizontal plays. I guess if you can't hold a pass protection block and your QB is very average you don't have a lot of options with regard to throwing it down field. That performance today was very concerning across the board. Looked a lot like game day Greg 1.0.
If all you're going to run is horizontal plays, at least put in a QB who can get it out there quickly. Our WRs are practically fair catching those sideline throws.

Nothing frustrates me more than an offensive coordinator who forces his team to burn time outs because he can't get the f---ing play in on time. That series in the third quarter where we burned a time out, while coming out of of a time out, because the clock had run down and we had players still running on to the field with two seconds left on the play clock ... and then just after on 4th and 3 when we were going for it, we had a delay of game penalty, followed by a missed field goal, was inexcusable.

Any football coach (pop warner, high school, college or pro) who thinks it is absolutely necessary for him to wait until the last second before every snap because he needs the time to analyze the defensive set and get the extra-super-special best play called is too stupid to be a play caller (pop warner, high school, college or pro), imho. Every good play caller I've ever met knew what he was calling three plays ahead of time because he was setting up the defensive with his previous calls.
Shades of the Jerry Kill era. Nothing like having your end of the play clock super special best play blown up by unblocked defenders screaming into the backfield.

Guy is a stud, needs talent to make the offense work
His resume includes one year at OK State and the rest is at Princeton, FDU, and Rutgers. If he was a stud, someone else would have poached him by now. He flat out sucks at calling plays. There’s enough skill talent for the offense not to be a total embarrassment. If Vedral is the reason for the Uber conservative playcalling, then make a switch and get someone in there with a higher ceiling

You think it was Gleeson’s decision to run out almost 2 minutes clock at the end of the half even when we got into NW territory ?

obvious that Wimsatt made a big mistake coming here.

SC…it’s not Gleeson’s decision to make. I doubt Schiano even lets coaches pick their own clothes to wear during games.

Will people at some point realize that it's the players/talent and not the coaching? For sure Schiano is the right guy to flip the script and pull in better players, but urban Meyer wouldn't do better with these kids. It's just a fact. Noodle arm qbs and lines that cant effectively block are an issue we can't overcome
Why did the same talent perform better last year?

Reactions: wheezer
We heard this excuse for Schiano the last time, too. How many 5 star players do you need to score against Northwestern?

I think GS and the current staff only proved then they run a decent, organized operation in the middle of a pandemic.

Defenses have all figured out what Gleeson is going to do and he has no idea how to adjust. Today was some of the worst play calling I've ever seen. No idea how to slow down their pass rush, No throws to Haskins in the middle of the field, No langan at all??.

How about a quick slant? Or a screen that isn't thrown backwards to the far hash by a qb with no arm. He does nothing to compensate for our weaknesses. Just runs the same stuff. Its Merringer all over again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT