ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Goodale Announces Pollard as new Asst. coach

bluemountain1967

Sophomore
Feb 8, 2020
Said interviewed many top candidates and for whatever reason no one wanted to be at Rutgers. Said Pollard is loyal, has been here for 11 years, loves Rutgers, and is great with the fans. Said the club will bring in big guys to train with our guys. Didn’t say who will run the SKWC. Was very up-beat and positive. Alluded to the fact that Donny and he have been in coaching a long time. Appeared to be working hard to sell Pollard to the fans. Hope Pollard is not a negative to recruiting. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Said interviewed many top candidates and for whatever reason no one wanted to be at Rutgers. Said Pollard is loyal, has been here for 11 years, loves Rutgers, and is great with the fans. Said the club will bring in big guys to train with our guys. Didn’t say who will run the SKWC. Was very up-beat and positive. Alluded to the fact that Donny and he have been in coaching a long time. Appeared to be working hard to sell Pollard to the fans. Hope Pollard is not a negative to recruiting. Time will tell.
A negative to recruiting? Credentials and statistics always play a role. However when it comes to Joe Pollard‘s affect to recruitment, the fact of the matter Is that he is a vital aspect of character development off and on the mat. Rutgers wrestling made a fantastic move promoting him in every capacity. More times than not it is that you hire someone they come in and they are gone within two seasons. Rutgers wrestling has enough talent in the room to sustain themselves for the next eight years. The question lies…. what kind of people do we need to be their to make sure the teams focus is positive and in the right direction. Joe pollard is one of those poeple

Last edited:
Doesn't have to sell Pollard to the fans. Real fans already know the dedication and reputation Pollard has with the recruits.

Did people ever think that the quality of candidates that we went after were such that their current options were as good or better than our job? I am a Joe Pollard fan!
That’s a problem since our wrestling matches are some of the highest attended in the country, the team has had multiple AAs, national champs, etc. The pedigree and fan interest here is incredibly attractive. Our program dwarfs the Ivy League competition beating us on the trail in that department.

Like we got Donny, we need to figure out what is the roadblock to getting a similar figure for heavyweights. To be blunt, if it is money, and wrestling is a sport that can only be dominated by a generous booster being a patron of the program (see: Penn and Princeton which have seemed to have passed us by from behind) then it is time to ask some hard questions about whether the present status quo is acceptable to RU fans and whether our approach can even retain this level.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pollard certainly isn’t the sexy hire, but he’s a good one. Not sure if that helps with Mullen or not though. With that said, we need to nail the SKWC athlete and training partner hires though.

Goodale said he was surprised when Ashnault told him in mid June that he wanted to wrestle full time. You would think that Goodale was close to Ashnault and would know what he was thinking. Also, most head coaches have a list of potential coaches to go after if an assistant coach leaves. Messner said in another thread that we pay our assistants better than most colleges and universities. So I doubt that money is the issue. Since Goodale said he was turned down by other candidates it is clear that Pollard was not one of our top choices. Does anyone know why other coaches turned us down.

Now let's get behind Pollard and hope he helps us get Mullen. Image that Nini is a lock for us as he is coached by Billy Ashnault and Nina's brother is on the team.

Goodale said he was surprised when Ashnault told him in mid June that he wanted to wrestle full time. You would think that Goodale was close to Ashnault and would know what he was thinking. Also, most head coaches have a list of potential coaches to go after if an assistant coach leaves. Messner said in another thread that we pay our assistants better than most colleges and universities. So I doubt that money is the issue. Since Goodale said he was turned down by other candidates it is clear that Pollard was not one of our top choices. Does anyone know why other coaches turned us down.

Now let's get behind Pollard and hope he helps us get Mullen. Image that Nini is a lock for us as he is coached by Billy Ashnault and Nina's brother is on the team.
Maybe it's the cost of living in NJ. The Governor wants to raise healthcare, auto insurance and taxes. Maybe some coaches used the interviewing process to leverage more money from their University/College.

Hiring Pollard should lock Nini and other recruits.

Did people ever think that the quality of candidates that we went after were such that their current options were as good or better than our job? I am a Joe Pollard fan!
Bill: You know well that it's silly to approach people unless you have something better to offer. In these cases, money may have been the only thing that Rutgers could offer. We all know it isn't the weather. How does a company attract executive talent? Don't they have to offer something that the candidate perceives to be an opportunity, whether financial or career building? The offer and the opportunity both need to be attractive. Why would you go after people that have better situations than what you have to offer?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
According to today's Flo rankings there are 4 uncommitted pound for pound kids that are from NJ and close by in NY. They are Mullen, Ryder, McGowan, and Knox. If Pollard can get 1 or 2 of these kids, he is a home run. Other ranked NJ kids by weight are # 11 Nini @ 120, # 15 Lopes @ 132, # 13 Vazques @ 138, # 18 Kunstek @ 152, # 9 Ognissani @ 160, # 11 Cerchio @ 170, # 17 Schoppe @ 182, and #6 Neves @ 220. Getting 2 top 10 and 1 other kid would be great. This will turn around the perception that some of us have of Pollard.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
According to today's Flo rankings there are 4 uncommitted pound for pound kids that are from NJ and close by in NY. They are Mullen, Ryder, McGowan, and Knox. If Pollard can get 1 or 2 of these kids, he is a home run. Other ranked NJ kids by weight are # 11 Nini @ 120, # 15 Lopes @ 132, # 13 Vazques @ 138, # 18 Kunstek @ 152, # 9 Ognissani @ 160, # 11 Cerchio @ 170, # 17 Schoppe @ 182, and #6 Neves @ 220. Getting 2 top 10 and 1 other kid would be great. This will turn around the perception that some of us have of Pollard.
I thought I was hearing only positive. What can Pollard tell or promise the kids that Goodale couldn't? Hasn't he been involved with the program? Is there a reason he couldn't have made these contributions before?

I'll ask again (3x): is Buxton still there? You wouldn't know from the SKWC site.

Buxton is still the SKWC coach. Pollard was not able to recruit, he could not go on any home visits since he was not an assistant coach. Of course him working with recruits at the SKWC, kids got to know him and how he coaches.

I had stopped after the menu - SKWC/Coaches/drop-down. Doesn't display his name and still has Leonardis. RA still shows Martin and doesn't show Seabass. You've got college kids there that can probably figure out how to update it, it ain't that hard. That and the team roster being inaccurate may be small issues, but it's all part of how the image is portrayed.

So I point out inaccuracies in the roster and SKWC drop-down menu and the best you guys can come up with is sarcasm. You're not just accepting mediocrity, you're celebrating it.

I expect that from SCNJ, but Messner, I thought you were s step above. Did you not see the menu drop-down omission? Is whoever updates these things that incompetent? Oh, wait, is it SCNJ?

So I point out inaccuracies in the roster and SKWC drop-down menu and the best you guys can come up with is sarcasm. You're not just accepting mediocrity, you're celebrating it.

I expect that from SCNJ, but Messner, I thought you were s step above. Did you not see the menu drop-down omission? Is whoever updates these things that incompetent? Oh, wait, is it SCNJ?
Honestly never looked at the drop down until you said something. Buxton is still with the team.

It seems that the people that know Pollard said he did a good job in his various duties at Rutgers. Not that it matters, as a fan I am ready to get behind him.

mikemessner can you explain how the SKWC is organized. Who is replacing Pollard as the Executive Director? When Pollard was announced as Executive Director, Tom Perrotti was listed as the co-president and quoted on the SKWC site welcoming him. Who is the other co-president? How does Coach Goodale's duties differ from the duties of the co-presidents of the SKWC?

Go Joe Pollard

Honestly never looked at the drop down until you said something. Buxton is still with the team.
As someone not as familiar with the site, I was following the drop-down and didn't see him listed. I didn't click on coaches and thought I needed to select one. These things are considered when developing websites. But what if I had asked if Martin was still with the program? https://scarletknightswrestlingclub.com/resident-athletes/ Would SCNJ have something clever to say?

You may think I'm just being critical, which is the simplest and easiest way to look at it. I mention these things because I want to see Rutgers wrestling improve and put forth a more professional image. Improvements come from knowing where they're needed. The resistance I get here suggests people are content with mediocrity and making excuses. Kids don't come and candidates don't want to come to coach. It can be glossed over or understood. It's easier to gloss over.

Any guess which match or tournament will be the annual WTF moment? Gawd, would I like to be wrong!

It seems that the people that know Pollard said he did a good job in his various duties at Rutgers. Not that it matters, as a fan I am ready to get behind him.

mikemessner can you explain how the SKWC is organized. Who is replacing Pollard as the Executive Director? When Pollard was announced as Executive Director, Tom Perrotti was listed as the co-president and quoted on the SKWC site welcoming him. Who is the other co-president? How does Coach Goodale's duties differ from the duties of the co-presidents of the SKWC?

Go Joe Pollard
Blue

I heard that Pollard would stay the Executive Director. Goodale is a coach on the SKWC staff. Buxton is the Head Coach.

Tom Perrotti or Bill can explain more about SKWC and who is the co-president.

As someone not as familiar with the site, I was following the drop-down and didn't see him listed. I didn't click on coaches and thought I needed to select one. These things are considered when developing websites. But what if I had asked if Martin was still with the program? https://scarletknightswrestlingclub.com/resident-athletes/ Would SCNJ have something clever to say?

You may think I'm just being critical, which is the simplest and easiest way to look at it. I mention these things because I want to see Rutgers wrestling improve and put forth a more professional image. Improvements come from knowing where they're needed. The resistance I get here suggests people are content with mediocrity and making excuses. Kids don't come and candidates don't want to come to coach. It can be glossed over or understood. It's easier to gloss over.

Any guess which match or tournament will be the annual WTF moment? Gawd, would I like to be wrong!
I see why you keep asking about Buxton and Myles. Buxton is the SKWC Head Coach and helps with Rutgers wrestling team practices. Myles is no longer with SKWC. Maybe Tom P or Bill G can explain more about the website.

I’ll take others more informed POV that Pollard is an excellent coach and has good reputation among people who know him. But let’s call it for what it is, it’s a step backwards from AA in some obvious respects and does little to increase our national or even regional profile. In the short term, at least.

Incidentally, every coach on the roster is NJ roots, for obvious reasons. . At the same time, in a time when facing significant competition for in state stars, we are doubling down on in state focus rather than seize the opportunity to increase our regional not local profile. One would have hoped the in state avenue was already covered by current staff, especially considering the guy we lost was the one who had the largest national profile outside of perhaps Donnie.

All that out of the way, I’m rooting for the guy. Go prove me wrong, it won’t be the first.

Last edited:

You say "Kids DON'T come" ??
Thats an Incorrect statement but Don't let The FACTS change your mind or agenda
  • PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers wrestling secured one of its top signing classes in program history, as the 2022 incoming group is ranked No. 8 in the country by MatScouts. Scholastic standouts PJ Casale, Brandan Chletsos, Joe Fongaro, Eric Freeman, Luke Gayer and Brian Soldano will all be available for the Scarlet Knights for the 2022 fall semester.

Last edited:
You say "Kids DON'T come" ??
Thats an Incorrect statement but Don't let The FACTS change your mind or agenda
  • PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers wrestling secured one of its top signing classes in program history, as the 2022 incoming group is ranked No. 8 in the country by MatScouts. Scholastic standouts PJ Casale, Brandan Chletsos, Joe Fongaro, Eric Freeman, Luke Gayer and Brian Soldano will all be available for the Scarlet Knights for the 2022 fall semester.
Well, you got me. Yes, you did, didn't you! Some kids do indeed come to Rutgers. Did you really think I meant none? Really? You're involved somehow with the program, aren't you? Makes sense; you just don't get it.

Soldano is a great get. Now make something of it.

Well, you got me. Yes, you did, didn't you! Some kids do indeed come to Rutgers. Did you really think I meant none? Really? You're involved somehow with the program, aren't you? Makes sense; you just don't get it.

Soldano is a great get. Now make something of it.
I Have Nothing to do with Program..Just a Fan...You obviously hate Program for some reason And that's your right.. We all live in USA...
There are Alabama Football posters that Bash their Program because they dont like Coaches...Your comments speak for your agenda...Pretty obvious...Clowns will be Clowns and will always retract their posts just like you did!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT