ADVERTISEMENT

Greg coached to keep the game close

read option

All Conference
Nov 12, 2013
I was a big critic of 1.0’s gameday coaching. I’ve been very pleased with 2.0’s gameday coaching until today. I know we left points on the field, but in the 2H we completely lost any sense of situational football. It was almost like Greg wanted to test us to win a close game. Call me crazy but no HC would make some of those decisions.

It almost seemed deliberate, didn't it? I only hope everyone learned from the poor decisions today. I will say, though. In the "same old Rutgers" days, we lose this one in a last second, heartbreaking way. We're better now, so we can absorb some of the silliness.

I was a big critic of 1.0’s gameday coaching. I’ve been very pleased with 2.0’s gameday coaching until today. I know we left points on the field, but in the 2H we completely lost any sense of situational football. It was almost like Greg wanted to test us to win a close game. Call me crazy but no HC would make some of those decisions.

We went on 4th and goal to try to push the game out of reach; it didn’t work.

We went for the long FG because we passed on the 3 pts before, and going up three possessions would have been nice.

Still didn’t work, but we got the ball back right away. So this on its own wasn’t a huge deal.

Then for some reason we came out chucking and went sack / sack / incomplete….that was when the wheels came off.

Yeah, I’m happy with the win but it didn’t need to be that close. When you have a FG , take it. Your defense is playing well, punt the ball with 1 plus yds. I didn’t get it, I thought they were arrogantly trying to win the game in the 3rd and early 4th quarters.

Yeah, I’m happy with the win but it didn’t need to be that close. When you have a FG , take it. Your defense is playing well, punt the ball with 1 plus yds. I didn’t get it, I thought they were arrogantly trying to win the game in the 3rd and early 4th quarters.
What’s so odd is Schiano is typically so conservative.

Funny, feel like Greg being conservative is what people complain about mostly. The aggressiveness didn’t work though.
Right , people always say that but it’s not accurate. I can’t tell you how many times he has been overly aggressive, especially defensively that has cost them or made things more interesting then they needed to be. Stop trying to “make a statement”.. just win the game.

Right , people always say that but it’s not accurate. I can’t tell you how many times he has been overly aggressive, especially defensively that has cost them or made things more interesting then they needed to be. Stop trying to “make a statement”.. just win the game.
Disagree, don’t think that’s accurate about him looking to make statements. He’s usually conservative managing the game and time clock.

Disagree, don’t think that’s accurate about him looking to make statements. He’s usually conservative managing the game and time clock.
He is the best HC for Rutgers and I’m happy where he has the program. But being a long time fan, I’ve seen decisions in games where we have the advantage, keep games closer than they need to be. Don’t try to win the game in the 3rd Q, By missing, he kept VT in the game along with several other decisions.

A FG at that point would have really helped.
my fit felt like 3 points was the way to go there.
Not firing the coach over this , but still Wtf.
Playing for close games is his mo. Maddening. Did Monangai or Brown have any carries outside the tackles ?

Shelby was impressed with AK for the most part.

Greg's model is 1990s-aughties Miami.
Have a running offense with occasional bomb and let the defense win the game with forced turnovers.

MInnesota has been criticized for the same offense Greg/Kirk/Fleck run.
It all sounds familiar

"The Gopher offense is predicated on taking very few risks, running the ball really well and then relying on your defense and special teams to do their jobs well. The problem here is that unless you have an incredibly talented team, you are putting tremendous pressure on those two units. This has been on full display in four of our last five Big Ten games (ignoring the Michigan game). And the net result is winning half of those while blowing leads in the other two. And effectively ending our chances at winning the Big Ten West when it was never more winable....

In all four games (Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State and Illinois), the offense did nothing to win any of those games, doing enough to not lose them. Which then means you are very reliant on the defense to win it for you. Minnesota failed to get a game-clinching first down in all of those games...

The problems are systemic. The play-calling has been suspect at times. The improvement of the team’s quarterback has been slow and frankly questionable. The lack of a mid-range passing attack is infuriating. And more than anything, it would be refreshing to have an offense that is capable of winning a game, not, not losing one..."

Very confusing thread.

Every play call can be second guessed. It comes down to making plays and the team did what they needed to do to win the game.

I thought both coordinators did a nice job and Va Tech can say the same thing. They turned the ball over more than we did. We made one more play at the end of the game.

Very confusing thread.

Every play call can be second guessed. It comes down to making plays and the team did what they needed to do to win the game.

I thought both coordinators did a nice job and Va Tech can say the same thing. They turned the ball over more than we did. We made one more play at the end of the game.
You kick a FG to go up 3 scores in the 3Q and keep momentum.

You don’t kick a 53-yd FG using a K who is less than 50/50 to make it.

When you need a drive, you don’t go pass, pass, pass - especially 5 and 7 step drops to let them tee off on your QB - when that is really not your offensive identity.

When it’s 4 & 1 in their territory and you’ve lost momentum, you don’t punt the ball back to them. You lean on your running game and get a yard. If you don’t get it, most everyone would understand why you went for it in that situation.

Those are four times just off the top of my head where the coaching was suspect. 3 of the 4 aren’t playcalls, they’re situational coaching decisions.

No matter what he does, he will be second guessed and critized. We won.
We left 15 points on the field (2 TDs plus 1 FG minus 2 for the safety). We could’ve kicked that FG on 4 & goal up at least 26-7 to make it 29-7 and the game is essentially over. Instead we keep it a two score game and they ramped up the urgency. We’re lucky we have some experienced playmakers on D who pulled that game out. Coaching staff almost ruined the game for us.

Reactions: RU MAN
You kick a FG to go up 3 scores in the 3Q and keep momentum.

You don’t kick a 53-yd FG using a K who is less than 50/50 to make it.

When you need a drive, you don’t go pass, pass, pass - especially 5 and 7 step drops to let them tee off on your QB - when that is really not your offensive identity.

When it’s 4 & 1 in their territory and you’ve lost momentum, you don’t punt the ball back to them. You lean on your running game and get a yard. If you don’t get it, most everyone would understand why you went for it in that situation.

Those are four times just off the top of my head where the coaching was suspect. 3 of the 4 aren’t playcalls, they’re situational coaching decisions.
How about the play call at the end. Magic.

Also big play by Beam to shut them off. They had the momentum and we made 2 huge plays to win the game.

We left 15 points on the field (2 TDs plus 1 FG minus 2 for the safety). We could’ve kicked that FG on 4 & goal up at least 26-7 to make it 29-7 and the game is essentially over. Instead we keep it a two score game and they ramped up the urgency. We’re lucky we have some experienced playmakers on D who pulled that game out. Coaching staff almost ruined the game for us.
In the past, we would have kicked the field goal and half the fans complained about being too conservative. The drive where we pass, pass, pass and we’re sacked all three times is trying to be aggressive when in the past we would run, run, run to be caution. The offensive line just failed the second half. Either the line was tired or they took it easy with the big lead. We were aggressive with the offense when in the past we would be conservative.

Last edited:
Greg has NEVER ever been a good game day coach. He is poor at best in this area. He excels at building a culture and teaching, but until he hands over game management to someone else RU will not take the next step.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigEastPhil
That TO in the 2nd half GS took, with VT's players running on/off the field during the snap count. Why? Couldn't RU have just run a play and VT take a 12 man penalty?

How about the play call at the end. Magic.

Also big play by Beam to shut them off. They had the momentum and we made 2 huge plays to win the game.
You’re choosing to ignore the point. 3 of the 4 examples I gave weren’t playcalling, they were situational coaching decisions. And what does Beam making a big play have to do with the coaching other than he bailed them out!

You’re choosing to ignore the point. 3 of the 4 examples I gave weren’t playcalling, they were situational coaching decisions. And what does Beam making a big play have to do with the coaching other than he bailed them out!
Corner blitz was the call.

I'm not ignoring your second guessing. I'm enjoying the win and pointing out our good calls. Every call can be second guessed.

Thought the coaching all around, including play calling, was C- at best. Lucky to escape with the W. Move on to the Huskies of Washington.

Greg has NEVER even been a good game coach. He is poor at best in this area. He excels at building a culture and teaching, but until he hands over game management to someone else RU will not take the next step.
He's already taken huge steps forward, I did not like some of the fg decisions today, but better talent is coming in, at least we have a decent quatreback now, once better athletes come in, which he is recruiting, it will show on gameday.It will take some time to recover from being the worst team in the FBS under Ash, then having the worst passer in the FBS, now we are beating Miami and Vtech.

Very confusing thread.

Ciarocca did a nice job in first half mixing up plays. In second half our OL was outplayed by VaTech and we could have used some quick screens or slants when Va Tech started loading 8 in the box. Instead we went to playa that developed slow when our running game stalled.

As for defense, our discipline broke down in the fourth and Harisymiak struggled with how to get them reset. That one was more in players but now there is a lot of film on what needs to be fixed fast.

Look - I didn’t like the play calling and made that clear in the game thread. However, when I look back on it now, I realize part of my disappointment with the 53 yard FG attempt was expectation that we could pin them deep in a game where we already had a safety. If Adam Korsak was still our punter there’s no question that would’ve been the play call. It’s no longer the default assumption that we can pin teams inside their own 5, unfortunately. That changes they way you think about whether to go for long FGs on 4th down.

About the long field goal attempt, my thought was that Schiano was showing Jai that he believes in him after scolding him a bit too hard after Jai missed the easy field goal. At that point the defense was playing good, Drones had injured his foot and I think that Schiano wasn't worried about VT catching up. Going for it on 4th I didn't have a problem with, most of the time we win those.

About the long field goal attempt, my thought was that Schiano was showing Jai that he believes in him after scolding him a bit too hard after Jai missed the easy field goal. At that point the defense was playing good, Drones had injured his foot and I think that Schiano wasn't worried about VT catching up. Going for it on 4th I didn't have a problem with, most of the time we win those.
Listen to the video. He said he’s made them and was hitting in warm ups. Coach came up to him and said as much. Schiano made the call based upon reasonable info.

Greg's model is 1990s-aughties Miami.
Have a running offense with occasional bomb and let the defense win the game with forced turnovers.

MInnesota has been criticized for the same offense Greg/Kirk/Fleck run.
It all sounds familiar

"The Gopher offense is predicated on taking very few risks, running the ball really well and then relying on your defense and special teams to do their jobs well. The problem here is that unless you have an incredibly talented team, you are putting tremendous pressure on those two units. This has been on full display in four of our last five Big Ten games (ignoring the Michigan game). And the net result is winning half of those while blowing leads in the other two. And effectively ending our chances at winning the Big Ten West when it was never more winable....

In all four games (Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State and Illinois), the offense did nothing to win any of those games, doing enough to not lose them. Which then means you are very reliant on the defense to win it for you. Minnesota failed to get a game-clinching first down in all of those games...

The problems are systemic. The play-calling has been suspect at times. The improvement of the team’s quarterback has been slow and frankly questionable. The lack of a mid-range passing attack is infuriating. And more than anything, it would be refreshing to have an offense that is capable of winning a game, not, not losing one..."

Well, didn’t the offense make the play that won the game ??

Reactions: Knight Shift
Listen to the video. He said he’s made them and was hitting in warm ups. Coach came up to him and said as much. Schiano made the call based upon reasonable info.
No doubt that FG was in Jai's range or he wouldn't have been sent out to try and get it. But it is a low probability kick.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
My thoughts were that something happened to RU’s defense in Q4. I can’t possibly say, but it seemed like a missed tackles and assignments (tired players, maybe some jitters on the road).

I was pleased with the offense. Maybe I’d opt to punt rather than try a 53 yard FG, but otherwise liked the play-calling. Credit AK for playing well on the road.

Thought the coaching all around, including play calling, was C- at best. Lucky to escape with the W. Move on to the Huskies of Washington.
Lane stadium is a very tough place to come away with a win. We made some really, really good play calls. Not every play call will work out but we made just enough good calls to win. B+ or A- but a handful of really, really good calls on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Very confusing thread.

And as Greg said, V Tech executed in similar plays Rutgers failed to execute. So who is right?

He went for it on 4th and Goal in Q1
Went for it on 4th and Goal in Q3
And opted to kick a long FG in the third quarter when they should have punted and pinned VT back

He went conversative for a bit in Q's 3 and 4, but overall went for the juggler when he had the chance
I've been critical of him in the past but he's showing the ability to adapt

And as Greg said, V Tech executed in similar plays Rutgers failed to execute. So who is right?
Not being a wiseass but I am missing your question.

For around 10 minutes in the 2nd half Va Texh dominated both of the LOS so fair to say they executed what we typically like to do. But we made the 2 big plays at the end when we could have folded. Not sure who that makes right or wrong but that's what happened.

Also, not to you but just a comment for all, when we blitz off the edge the D back is trained to get their hands up if the QB sees the blitz and try to hit the hot route. Loyal won the Temple game doing the exact same thing 2 years ago.

We didn't commit a lot of penalties and took care of the ball. Tech was good but less disciplined.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyRU and pmvon
Not being a wiseass but I am missing your question.

For around 10 minutes in the 2nd half Va Texh dominated both of the LOS so fair to say they executed what we typically like to do. But we made the 2 big plays at the end when we could have folded. Not sure who that makes right or wrong but that's what happened.

Also, not to you but just a comment for all, when we blitz off the edge the D back is trained to get their hands up if they see the blitz and try to hit the hot route. Loyal won the Temple game doing the exact same thing 2 years ago.
For some reason you tend to miss my points. I'm basically agreeing with you. I'm so tired of loud mouths fans who can't enjoy a hard fought but imperfect victory in a tough road environment.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT