ADVERTISEMENT

Greg deserves props

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
I’ve certainly been critical of him when I feel he deserves it, but I have to give him immense credit for this season & the way he’s been able to build the program back up

The team looked prepared today
His game plan was solid
He opened up the O a little more

Looking forward to next year & beyond watching this team grow and the program ascend

It’s been an amazing job. His critics have very short memories of how dreadful this program was without him.
100%. This program was in its depths facing a brutal conference schedule year after year. This was a really difficult job and he is one of a few people (not counting current coaches of elite programs) who could do this.

Yes, definitely, the day after winning a bowl game and securing his first winning record in a 4 year rebuilding process this is the time to give him due credit and praise his accomplishments. Let's hope that he can build on this success going forward and equally that our fans will hold him accountable if he does not.

Reactions: Ridge 22
I am a major critic of GS. His philosophy and game management reeks ‘defensive minded coach’ and this conservative mindset is a significant hindrance to receiver recruiting and winning. We have a player in the most important position who takes snaps but is not a QB. Like this past year, I don’t think GS is interested in a competition and a legit QB for 2024 or 2025.

The 3rd string Miami QB didn’t take a single snap all year yet the talent differential couldn’t have been more stark. Same with the Iowa and Wisconsin backups. It’s inexcusable to have such an untalented QB be a starter. There’s a lot not to like about GS. Many here consider this a dream season for us in the Big10 and along with that have a love affair with GS.

Now to my point. Yes, he and the coaching staff do deserve a lot of credit for navigating the ship to a 7-6 and a bowl win against a high-profile opponent. Details: depleted bowl opponent, 2 Big10 opponents in turmoil, etc don’t matter. All wins count. Excuses don’t. Props from the Shelby man. Schiano grade: B

Let’s see if he cares to upgrade at QB. It would be easy to do. All portal QBs are miles better than who we have, but I won’t hold my breath. Small chance the Minn QB is a silent verbal but I think he realizes GS isn’t looking for a QB competition and is more than satisfied with GW as RB2 in the backfield with JM.

Last edited:
Progress is being shown by the results on the field.
Filling all the key voids in the Transfer Portal ( QB, CB, and one OL and one DT) over the next 30 days will continue this success to 8 or more wins next season.

I am a major critic of GS. His philosophy and game management reeks ‘defensive minded coach’ and this conservative mindset is a significant hindrance to receiver recruiting and winning. We have a player in the most important position who takes snaps but is not a QB. Like this past year, I don’t think GS is interested in a competition and a legit QB for 2024 or 2025.

The 3rd string Miami QB didn’t take a single snap all year yet the talent differential couldn’t have been more stark. Same with the Iowa and Wisconsin backups. It’s inexcusable to have such an untalented QB be a starter. There’s a lot not to like about GS. Many here consider this a dream season for us in the Big10 and along with that have a love affair with GS.

Now to my point. Yes, he and the coaching staff do deserve a lot of credit for navigating the ship to a 7-6 and a bowl win against a high-profile opponent. Details: depleted bowl opponent, 2 Big10 opponents in turmoil, etc don’t matter. All wins count. Excuses don’t. Props from the Shelby man.

Let’s see if he cares to upgrade at QB. It would be easy to do. All portal QBs are miles better than who we have, but I won’t hold my breath. Small chance the Minn QB is a silent verbal but I think he realizes GS isn’t looking for a QB competition and is more than satisfied with GW as RB2 in the backfield with JM.
What Schiano has done so far is fact. The rest of what you posted about what you think his intentions are is just something you pulled out of your ass.

Nothing about Schiano’s first tenure at Rutgers backs up your point, as the passing game became much more of a focal point for the offense after 2006.

His time in TB was a failure predominantly due to the fact that he was stuck with a QB who was subpar, which would further ingrain the position’s importance to him.

You talk about the portal QBs as if Schiano has the power to will one to come here and chooses not to. Do you for a moment consider that these QBs are not going to be the type to be patient and commit on a “vision” that the RU offense will develop, given that they are transferring because the vision they were sold at their original program didn’t turn out that way?

Krup … do you also believe no one else but GS would have taken this job ? Are you one of those ?

This is a Big10 school. Of course plenty of portal QBs would sign up for a real opportunity to compete for QB1. No hypnotism or Jedi mind tricks needed.

Hopefully I’m wrong about Schiano’s intentions and AM is a silent verbal. If we don’t get any portal QB, that proves Schiano doesn’t want a competition or a real QB.

I’ve certainly been critical of him when I feel he deserves it, but I have to give him immense credit for this season & the way he’s been able to build the program back up

The team looked prepared today
His game plan was solid
He opened up the O a little more

Looking forward to next year & beyond watching this team grow and the program ascend
The team that wanted it more won. 7-6 and ending with a bowl victory is a successful season. GS deserved the extension and salary bump.

Defense is solid. Running game is solid. We just desperately need to improve the passing game. Onwards!

Reactions: Kbee3
Krup … do you also believe no one else but GS would have taken this job ? Are you one of those ?

This is a Big10 school. Of course plenty of portal QBs would sign up for a real opportunity to compete for QB1. No hypnotism or Jedi mind tricks needed.

Hopefully I’m wrong about Schiano’s intentions and AM is a silent verbal. If we don’t get any portal QB, that proves Schiano doesn’t want a competition or a real QB.
You embarrass yourself and completely lose the argument by immediately accusing me of being a Schiano fanboy (which isn’t true).

If Schiano doesn’t get ANY portal QB it is failure on his part. However, you overstate the attractiveness of coming to RU because you ignore that any QB looking at our games would see a complete lack of weapons to throw to.

Reactions: socaldave

Now to my point. Yes, he and the coaching staff do deserve a lot of credit for navigating the ship to a 7-6 and a bowl win against a high-profile opponent. Details: depleted bowl opponent, 2 Big10 opponents in turmoil, etc don’t matter. All wins count. Excuses don’t. Props from the Shelby man. Schiano grade: B

I understand where you are coming from when you criticize Schiano. I want to pursue another QB thru the portal but we may not have the NIL money or the QB might want to be guaranteed a starting position. We are upgrading the WR position next season which might improve Winsatt ability and he will improve with another year. You mentioned he will go with Winsatt for two more years no matter the results. I think that in 2025, we will have AJ Surace as another possibility. Next year schedule is tough and we may only have 5 wins but 2025 will have more possibilities.

We might still get a portal QB and for free. They’re still some good QB out there with no teams. It’s musical chairs and someone might not have a chair.

I was a Schiano supporter the first time and still am a supporter but in 3-4 years, if we don’t continue to improve which means increasing our passing game then we might need to move on.

You embarrass yourself and completely lose the argument by immediately accusing me of being a Schiano fanboy (which isn’t true).

If Schiano doesn’t get ANY portal QB it is failure on his part. However, you overstate the attractiveness of coming to RU because you ignore that any QB looking at our games would see a complete lack of weapons to throw to.
Rice University has weapons ? There are two better QBs on every FBS and at least 1 better on every FCS roster. Our receivers aren’t elite but perfectly good for a competent QB. They looked fine on the two scripted passes on the first drive yesterday.

you’re contradicting yourself. You’re suggesting the only reason RU wouldn’t be an attractive spot for a portal QB is because Schiano can’t recruit WR talent. And why can’t he ?

I understand where you are coming from when you criticize Schiano. I want to pursue another QB thru the portal but we may not have the NIL money or the QB might want to be guaranteed a starting position. We are upgrading the WR position next season which might improve Winsatt ability and he will improve with another year. You mentioned he will go with Winsatt for two more years no matter the results. I think that in 2025, we will have AJ Surace as another possibility. Next year schedule is tough and we may only have 5 wins but 2025 will have more possibilities.

We might still get a portal QB and for free. They’re still some good QB out there with no teams. It’s musical chairs and someone might not have a chair.

I was a Schiano supporter the first time and still am a supporter but in 3-4 years, if we don’t continue to improve which means increasing our passing game then we might need to move on.
Good thoughts…but 1) any QB would be an upgrade and not all would merit significant NIL. 2) we obviously spread a lot of NIL money around, keeping JM and the D mostly intact. Doesn’t this show Schiano isn’t interested in a better QB ? QB is the most important position on the field, that’s obviously the single most important position to spend NIL on if the coach wanted to.

Rice University has weapons ? There are two better QBs on every FBS and at least 1 better on every FCS roster. Our receivers aren’t elite but perfectly good for a competent QB. They looked fine on the two scripted passes on the first drive yesterday.

you’re contradicting yourself. You’re suggesting the only reason RU wouldn’t be an attractive spot for a portal QB is because Schiano can’t recruit WR talent. And why can’t he ?
I can see that Rice had 5 guys with at least 25 receptions and 380 yards (including a TE). I don’t know how many of those return. Either way, using Rice only backs up point because Warner didn’t have to be convinced to buy into a promise they will throw more, they threw enough last year that the QB had over 2400 yds passing.

RU’s WR corp this year wasn’t “fine”. The players left to work with after injuries and NCAA bullshit were one of the weakest groups in the P5.

You seem to have little familiarity with the meaning of the word “contradiction”. I never defended Schiano’s bad job at recruiting WRs and TEs, but that has nothing to do with your idiotic take that he doesn’t want a good QB.

Absolutely deserves props.

D is excellent, running game is excellent, special teams excellent. Got to an won a bowl game.

Needs to get the passing game in order and that is the next step in the progression.

And an improvement there shouldn't be that difficult. So that is kind of a positive looking fwd.

I can see that Rice had 5 guys with at least 25 receptions and 380 yards (including a TE). I don’t know how many of those return. Either way, using Rice only backs up point because Warner didn’t have to be convinced to buy into a promise they will throw more, they threw enough last year that the QB had over 2400 yds passing.

RU’s WR corp this year wasn’t “fine”. The players left to work with after injuries and NCAA bullshit were one of the weakest groups in the P5.

You seem to have little familiarity with the meaning of the word “contradiction”. I never defended Schiano’s bad job at recruiting WRs and TEs, but that has nothing to do with your idiotic take that he doesn’t want a good QB.
Of course he wants a good QB. The problem is, and I’ve said often, he thinks GW is a good QB. GW fits Schiano’s philosophy. It’s why he took Simon out immediately after the TD drive when GW got hurt in the Wisconsin game

Wimsatt isnt college level QB, the worst passer of them all bar none.

Schiano doesn’t mind that since the only need for his system is handing off with 1 carry on every 10 snaps

We played the second toughest schedule in the country, and the combined record of three of the teams we lost to was 34-3. We beat a Miami team that is loaded with 4 and 5 star players, even their backup players. Schiano deserves major props for getting to the bowl game and winning it, as he has done at many bowl games in the past. Schiano talks a lot about having a strong, positive culture, and that isn't just talk - it's evident in the team and the players.I'm looking forward to next season and the team's continuous upward trajectory. Great job coach!

Scarlet Jerry

I am a major critic of GS. His philosophy and game management reeks ‘defensive minded coach’ and this conservative mindset is a significant hindrance to receiver recruiting and winning.
You say this, but we had a ton of NFL WRs his first go-round.

recruits today weren’t born in 2005. they care about what they see now, which is awful.

Last edited:
Greg deserves props

Completely agree. We really have something to build off of going into next season.

It’s been an amazing job. His critics have very short memories of how dreadful this program was without him.

I alluded to this in that troll thread started by someone who hasn't been around for the last 3 years:

Iowa 30-0
Michigan 52-0
Maryland 48-7
Indiana 35-0
Minnesota 42-7
Illinois 38-10
Ohio State 56-21
Michigan State 27-0

Ohio State 52-3
Kansas 55-14
Buffalo 42-13
Maryland 34-7
Michigan 42-7

Reactions: RU at the shore
Congrats to the OP for admitting you were wrong and a couple of others who are always negative after losses. At least you can be positive after wins. We all like winning and hate losing.

And then we have others who will never admit they are wrong and look like idiots all of the time and not just after losses.

Reactions: colbert17 and csphi
Absolutely deserves props.

D is excellent, running game is excellent, special teams excellent. Got to an won a bowl game.

Needs to get the passing game in order and that is the next step in the progression.

And an improvement there shouldn't be that difficult. So that is kind of a positive looking fwd.
Correct. First we fixed the D. Then we fixed the OL because you run the ball until you can’t in the BIG. That’s the status quo and we can now play with the big boys in the trenches for the most part. Next step in our development is to improve the passing game. We have some big bodies to throw to and I love Dremel in the slot. GW has made some great throws and he has missed on some too but many times he is throwing it away as instructed. That’s how we won 7 games against a great schedule.

At the beginning of the year the expectations were we'd win 3 or 4 games even by some of our mods. With the Miami win we wildly exceeded expectations. One step at a time. If we get better QB play we'll win 7-8 games next year.

Think no further than the Coach Ashole Era to where we are today. Thank you Coach Schiano!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT