ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers goals, his controversial Giants play (Q & A)

The point there is then she wouldn’t have been the woman of my dreams. She wouldn’t have checked the most important box.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
Actually this has absolutely nothing to do with God and religion. If my potential new boss was constantly professing that he is a diehard, nothing comes before Penn State fan, I think I would be uncomfortable if he found out that I can't stand PSU and live for the day when RU beats them like a drum and that the entire football program should have received the death penalty. I'd worry he'd look down his nose at me, be defensive and hold it against me. Might sway me to skip the offer the offer and "take my talents" elsewhere, as the kids like to say.

Why would a coach want to make the >30% of kids that don't believe feel like they are not welcome? I also think that you not understanding this also makes my point. as does your contention that you would drop the women of your dreams for not being on board with your viewpoint.

Anyway, we can disagree about this. Can't stand Urban, but in this regard, I think he takes the better approach. The coach's personal viewpoints should stay personal since he needs to seen as an equal leader of all the players.
You are going on the assumption that religion part of his recruiting pitch....which it is not

So basically you are just talking out of your a$$

And I am saying that I don't believe that faith is part of Schiano's "family pitch". I would be surprised if he mentions it at all, unless asked about it.

I agree with you. I'm not expressing myself clearly. I guess what I mean is that religion is part of his image that I feel helps him sell the "family" thing.

You are going on the assumption that religion part of his recruiting pitch....which it is not

So basically you are just talking out of your a$$

Whew, turn the other cheek (a$$cheek, apparently).

Just responding to the comments in this interview and the comments on the board.

Well, now I know who Jürgen Klopp is and what Gegenpressing is.

I agree with you. I'm not expressing myself clearly. I guess what I mean is that religion is part of his image that I feel helps him sell the "family" thing.
I don't agree that it helps him sell the "family thing".

For some, religion is a deeply personal thing, and public displays of religion are as distasteful as public displays of affection. I'm sure Schiano loves his wife dearly, but if he talked about his intimate moments with his wife, that wouldn't help him sell the "love" aspect of his recruiting pitch.

For others, they may have different religious beliefs, and they might be concerned that their different beliefs might make it harder for them to be accepted as part of the "family".

But Schiano's religious faith is part of who he is. And part of that faith is he publicly makes comments about his faith. So assuming he is not going to change that (and I certainly would not ask him to change his religious beliefs), it just means he has to work a little harder to assure recruits and players who have different beliefs that his beliefs are his, and the recruits and players are free to have their own set of religious beliefs (or none at all).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT