ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano

Syracuse used to be a national brand and recruited as one even while starting their downside.
There was a time when , if you talked East Coast FB, Syracuse was mentioned in the same breath as Penn St.
Rutgers was an afterthought and mentioned two-three breaths later, followed by a cough.
Now Penn St has that distinction alone , but Rutgers has stopped being the afterthought it once was, even though the Flood/Ash made RU look like it was falling into Syracuse territory and a program you really couldn't expect much from

Syracuse fans have turned from at one considering beating top programs a common occurrence into needing to point out they did beat one (Clemson) to prove their relevance in the college football world
The funny thing is ,Rutgers fans ( during their darkest days) were the same and great preferences had RU fans tending to brag about them because that type of game was unexpected.
What a sad downfall from the once mighty Orange Peels that the wins once thought easily obtainable, now are looked at like a miracle when the Fruit beats a top program.

Enough of that and can't say Rutgers has proven invincible yet, but the fact is: the college football world expects more out of Rutgers now then it does the once mighty Syracuse program.
Rutgers fans can look to the future with a smile and the past with a frown.
Syracuse fans are doing the opposite, but show a silly smile when asked about their favorite Fruit.
rutgers was that bad that it made it look like SU was tops in the nation. We werent. SU has been really good or really bad. Never consistently good. SU was great in 87 and had perennial top 25 teams in the 90"s. Thats it. Rutgers was so bad that it made SU look better than what they were. They did that despite admins lack of investment in football.

Last edited:
So I struck a nerve, cool
No. I am very comfortable in all aspects. You on the other hand are a lowlife douche bag trolling a rivals fan board. You probably didn’t even graduate from the Syracuse community college. Money. Shithead.

No. I am very comfortable in all aspects. You on the other hand are a lowlife douche bag trolling a rivals fan board. You probably didn’t even graduate from the Syracuse community college. Money. Shithead.
Haha, Good stuff. You dont have to read my stuff. I have good dialogue with other posters. I tell the truth whether you like it or not. SU and Rutgers havent been good lately. We all hope for brighter futures.The good thing is that none of these players have any barring on our lives. My education is not going to make either team better.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
rutgers was that bad that it made it look like SU was tops in the nation. We werent. SU has been really good or really bad. Never consistently good. SU was great in 87 and had perennial top 25 teams in the 90"s. Thats it. Rutgers was so bad that it made SU look better than what they were. They did that despite admins lack of investment in football.
What the hey, checked what you said out and have to say you're right.
Syracuse wasn't the top program I thought it was thinking back to how it was
in the years I remembered the Orangemen as a top program when Ben Schwartzwalder was their HC
Rutgers was more of a D-1AA program at the time and Syracuse was considered a higher level program back then.
So it seems the few great years the Orange had during that time had me thinking they were better than they really were.
But at that time Rutgers wasn't that bad, they just played at what could be considered a lower level.
Later in in the early 80 until G-1 took over , Rutgers seasons, at times, could make bad teams look better.
Under Terry Shea, even terrible programs looked better than Rutgers

Rutgers was a pretty decent football program under John Batman and Frank Burns, some good years, two undefeated seasons and some average ones and losing seasons thrown in.
But all in all wasn't considered playing the level of competition Syracuse played and that's why RU didn't get the press Syracuse did.
Which probably is the reason I thought Syracuse was better than it was. Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little also had a hand in that

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT