ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Rac ever lost power during a game?

rcube1994

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Power just went out at my house as I'm heading up to the rac. Made me wonder if it ever lost power during a game.

Guess they have backup power these days but not sure about back in the day.

Reactions: DirtyRU and Scangg
The electric feed is underground so that minimizes that possibility.

Sorry you have lost power I hope you get it back soon.

The RAC losing power was your statement........So that's what I really commented on.

Somebody else might remember this, but the RAC used to have a bagpipe band that would come in once a year and perform. A huge band. I'm pretty sure that somewhere around 1995-96, there was a short power outage (the lights in the stadium went out) during their performance.

Somebody else might remember this, but the RAC used to have a bagpipe band that would come in once a year and perform. A huge band. I'm pretty sure that somewhere around 1995-96, there was a short power outage (the lights in the stadium went out) during their performance.
I think it was the Black Watch from Scotland.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
I do remember it happened for a football game I want to say against Virginia Tech in maybe 2002 or 2003ish. I remember waiting under the stands, it might have been during a lightning storm or something

the only full disruption I can remember, and not a power failure, was the sit in, that halted and postponed the completion of a game versus number one ranked UMass in 1995

RU was winning at halftime and hopes for a major upset were valid, it seemed

I had brought my 13 year old daughter to this game, only one of a handful of times she saw a game, but she got an education on race and race relations that day

as a sidenote, they eventually finished the game and UMaSS won the game comfortably, a reversal from the first half
I believe the game was finished on a neutral court, Temple?
but not sure

• Sad
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
This happened 17 years ago this week, when Charlotte visited the RAC to complete a home-and-home. Rutgers won in Charlotte the year before.

"The game was delayed for eight minutes in the first half, when the power went out on the scoreboard and an embankment of lights opposite the players' bench with 5:40 remaining. Play resumed when the scoreboard went back on, and the lighting embankment came on after 16 minutes."

IIRC, Anthony Farmer was mid-jumper when this happened.

Not the RAC, and not a power issue, but does anyone remember the Carrier Dome's ceiling leaking water from so much accumulated snow on the roof while we were playing them? I remember they had to stop and delay the game. And I remember Sam Sanders sliding across the wet floor, and ESPN talking about it. This would've been mid to late 90s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT