ADVERTISEMENT

Don't screw up the RAC

Rhuarc

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Today was magic.. You could feel the energy in the air before the game started. Probably the loudest game in some time as not only was it a ranked opponent but the crowd had nothing but good things to cheer about. My ears are still ringing 2 hours later.

Just put a U shaped structure around the RAC, make it full of bathrooms, displays, kiosks, etc. Just don't touch one inch of what already exists. If you want to expand 118, great. But DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!

Last edited:
Crazy thing about today: not a lot of students. Thursday night is going to be SHEER INSANITY in there from about 6PM on as I'd bet the students are lined up several hundred deep an hour out. Today...was weird...there were like 50 there at 11AM, 109 was maybe 75%, 108 blah and 110 filled with former players, their families, CBA hoops and a few students. We haven't played great at home as of late, in conference, but thought it would be PACKED, early, after the 2 road wins.

Anyway...not worried about Thursday and, LOVE THE RAC!!!

Crazy thing about today: not a lot of students. Thursday night is going to be SHEER INSANITY in there from about 6PM on as I'd bet the students are lined up several hundred deep an hour out. Today...was weird...there were like 50 there at 11AM, 109 was maybe 75%, 108 blah and 110 filled with former players, their families, CBA hoops and a few students. We haven't played great at home as of late, in conference, but thought it would be PACKED, early, after the 2 road wins.

Anyway...not worried about Thursday and, LOVE THE RAC!!!
Yeah, I don't get the student section today. Kudos to those who did attend and made a difference.

This is a top 10 all time in person game for me. It was awesome right from the beginning. I've had a lot of drama going on at home lately and it's limited my attendance but I'm so glad i was able to go today.

Yeah, I don't get the student section today. Kudos to those who did attend and made a difference.

This is a top 10 all time in person game for me. It was awesome right from the beginning. I've had a lot of drama going on at home lately and it's limited my attendance but I'm so glad i was able to go today.
Sorry to hear that buddy but glad you made it today. Def top 20 all-time for me but I got back to opening day (as a kid)!

Today was a magic.. You could feel the energy in the air before the game started. Probably the loudest game in some time as not only was it a ranked opponent but the crowd had nothing but good things to cheer about. My ears are still ringing 2 hours later.

Just put a U shaped structure around the RAC, make it full of bathrooms, displays, kiosks, etc. Just don't touch one inch of what already exists. If you want to expand 118, great. But DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!
They better do something about the main concourse because right now its like bumper cars trying to get to rest rooms and concession stands.

today was cool because for once there was really hardly any anxiety inducing moments. usually even when we have a big lead the other team finds a way to whittle it to a couple possessions late. This was a pure wire to write blowout...doesn't happen a lot in conference play.

today was cool because for once there was really hardly any anxiety inducing moments. usually even when we have a big lead the other team finds a way to whittle it to a couple possessions late. This was a pure wire to write blowout...doesn't happen a lot in conference play.
Did they ever get it under 6 once we build the lead? Maybe 5 once? Was having too much fun, with a host of board "celebs," to remember. Just know that every time they started to crawl back - BOOM - 3 CITY!!!

Sorry to hear and for you could make it.

I got 100s today last minute and was awesome atmosphere today

Very appreciative of the Rutgers 1,200-1,500 students who attend - they're the next generation of fans. But let's be honest - there are 36,000+ undergrads in NB/Piscatawy and most don't give a flying F about college basketball.

Same could be said for most alumns - there have to be a hundred thousand or more within an hour of the RAC.

We went 30 years without sniffing the tourney. We watched The Big East take off and hung our hat with PSU and they abandoned us. We finally get into the BiG East and we get abandoned again.

Can’t rip fans all that much.
B1G now!
If you build it they will come!!

The fans who have been here, like the old #118, are as rabid as anyone. Had section ripped out from under their feet after 30 years and still rooting for RU.

Think today was just a noon hiccup for the students.
Thursday will be epic and all is forgiven.

We went 30 years without sniffing the tourney. We watched The Big East take off and hung our hat with PSU and they abandoned us. We finally get into the BiG East and we get abandoned again.

Can’t rip fans all that much.
B1G now!
If you build it they will come!!

The fans who have been here, like the old #118, are as rabid as anyone. Had section ripped out from under their feet after 30 years and still rooting for RU.

Think today was just a noon hiccup for the students.
Thursday will be epic and all is forgiven.
Not ripping anyone - students can do what they want. Just saying that as much as we on this board love the sport, the vast majority of people don't care at all.

Reactions: DoyleRU
Not ripping anyone - students can do what they want. Just saying that as much as we on this board love the sport, the vast majority of people don't care at all.
I think there is a latent caring just ready to break out. It will happen if not this year but surely next football and basketball seasons. They look epic.

Today was magic.. You could feel the energy in the air before the game started. Probably the loudest game in some time as not only was it a ranked opponent but the crowd had nothing but good things to cheer about. My ears are still ringing 2 hours later.

here here

add bathrooms but to me that is it...dont even add seats...i want it exactly the same

Reactions: RUBlackout
the student section was enormous in the 88-92 years when I was there...i just dont see the rabidness of the current crop. I think there is a group who are very very into it and they should be commended but i question as whole how much really care anymore

here here

add bathrooms but to me that is it...dont even add seats...i want it exactly the same
Make 118 like the Student Section and make Suites where the offices are. EZ PZ.

Helluva lot cheaper and make a nice concourse and some bathrooms.

Don’t need luxury boxes and messing with footprint. Fairly confident they could do this off season too. If not shame on RU.

Last edited:

Amen brother!

the student section was enormous in the 88-92 years when I was there...i just dont see the rabidness of the current crop. I think there is a group who are very very into it and they should be commended but i question as whole how much really care anymore

I’ve had that feeling all through the Pike resurgence. We don’t have a rabid student section. The ones that sit in the middle section are good but that’s about it. The regular fans are much better, which is why the whole lining courtside with students is a terrible idea.

I’ve had that feeling all through the Pike resurgence. We don’t have a rabid student section. The ones that sit in the middle section are good but that’s about it. The regular fans are much better, which is why the whole lining courtside with students is a terrible idea.
I am not a fan of spreading students around. Keep them where they are. It’s a great section… except for oddly today.

No, it’s not. Once they’re court side you’ll see

I do agree that it’s NOT what it can be and I’m truly wondering if The Riot Squad - GOD BLESS THEM DO NOT GET ME WRONG - maybe needs to be more interactive with the rest of the student section somehow? If they played “Tsunami” back in the late 80’s/earky 80’s, or even The Douby Years, 108-110 would’ve collapsed!!!

• Haha
I will die on this hill -- we don't need students courtside. What makes the RAC special is the 'regular' fans are really into it.

We don't need that gimmick like at other places... Mich St, Duke, et al.

I agree. The massive student section is kind of cool. Also there’s only about 150-300 students who are REALLY into it every game. If we had 1,000-1500 of those then you could make them super visible. But there really isn’t enough of them consistently there night in and night out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT