ADVERTISEMENT

Have seen Pike over multiple seasons- a one year player or back up portals dont change the reality

Everything has changed at the programs around us elevating to another level.
Meh.

UConn was already elite 15 months ago and their national championship team was already on the court.

There aren’t any other elite programs around us, and it wouldn’t matter that much if there were. There’s a whole country of basketball players out there.

Nothing except our understanding of the situation.
Which situation?

To be clear, my argument isn’t that we ARE the best program on the east coast.

My argument is that it was clearly a positive overreaction then and there is a lot of negative overreaction now and really not much has changed in the intervening 15 months. One bad year is basically meaningless in the long run.

Which situation?

To be clear, my argument isn’t that we ARE the best program on the east coast.

My argument is that it was clearly a positive overreaction then and there is a lot of negative overreaction now and really not much has changed in the intervening 15 months. One bad year is basically meaningless in the long run.
The situation where the world changed due to NIL and portal and our school was late to adapt but we didn’t know it at the time. Definitely a step back. I'm pretty confident that Pike has learned something and he’s a great coach and our NIL situation is improving. So I generally agree with you that the doom is silly. Give Rutgers fans a taste of success and they go crazy and if we aren’t UConn then burn it all. So schizophrenic.

The Hurley comparisons make me want to scream. UConn has recruited nothing but 4 star players, and grabbed portal players like Spencer, using resources that were not available to Pike. The players there were demonstrably better than what Pike could get. But someone everyone concludes that Pike needs to teach fundamentals better and have a new offensive philosophy.

I'd rather have Cam Spencer back.
Talent level is obvious but clearly missing the point. Hurley changed his entire offensive philosophy. Agreed talent runs it more effectively but he still overhauled his whole program. Pike has yet to change and when things get tough he reverts back to his defensive first mind. He has to evolve or he won’t be coaching much longer..
He has the talent incoming no excuses, evolve or we will find someone who has figured it out.

Hurley has adapted, but he also has a lot more NIL money to work with than Pike does.
Not disagreeing but when do we stop crying about Nil when we just bought the number 2 recruiting class in the country? You act like we’re are Rider or Wagner.

Reactions: RUsojo
Not disagreeing but when do we stop crying about Nil when we just bought the number 2 recruiting class in the country? You act like we’re are Rider or Wagner.
Without NIL, this program has very little hope to hold onto today.

Reactions: RUDivision
Completely agree ! MY point only 1 other school spent more then us on this years incoming class. Hard to complain about NIL this year
Is this true? My understanding was that these players are getting NIL from third parties that isn’t really dependent on them going to Rutgers.

Is this true? My understanding was that these players are getting NIL from third parties that isn’t really dependent on them going to Rutgers.
It’s not true what he said. It’s true that of NIL did not exist, and these guys had not been able to get money from third parties that RU couldn’t give, that they’d have gotten that money from Duke Kentucky or Kansas.

Reactions: fluoxetine
It’s not true what he said. It’s true that of NIL did not exist, and these guys had not been able to get money from third parties that RU couldn’t give, that they’d have gotten that money from Duke Kentucky or Kansas.
What’s not true!

What’s not true!
Rutgers is not providing more NIL than every program in the country sans the #1 recruiting class team in Duke.

Our recruiting class is getting big NIL money but not all from Rutgers. An important distinction given how our roster building is likely to go this offseason outside those two guys.

Reactions: fluoxetine
We didn’t buy anything. It wasn’t booster money. It was Adidas and Fanatics investing in high profile likely NBA players with great exposure in the NY media market. RU is WAY behind in booster NIL and that’s what pays for transfers. Those are the facts.

Rutgers is not providing more NIL than every program in the country sans the #1 recruiting class team in Duke.

Our recruiting class is getting big NIL money but not all from Rutgers. An important distinction given how our roster building is likely to go this offseason outside those two guys.
You realize the NIL works the same and rules are the same for every school. Rutgers secured those funds for this years class just like and university could. I know the number offered to Dylan and the match we were able to secure. Facts are we stepped into the big leagues and secured those dollars. If those players choose to play somewhere else they WILL NOT receive those dollars.

They can go look for those payments elsewhere.

Once again Rurgers got these guys paid just like any other school can.

We didn’t buy anything. It wasn’t booster money. It was Adidas and Fanatics investing in high profile likely NBA players with great exposure in the NY media market. RU is WAY behind in booster NIL and that’s what pays for transfers. Those are the facts.
Once again excuses! Duke, UNC, insert team here does this and its blue blood and booster money. Rutgers does it and its excuses and reasons why we can’t compete. Stop! We play the same game as everyone else. It just proves we have the resources to secure top talent.

Talent level is obvious but clearly missing the point. Hurley changed his entire offensive philosophy. Agreed talent runs it more effectively but he still overhauled his whole program. Pike has yet to change and when things get tough he reverts back to his defensive first mind. He has to evolve or he won’t be coaching much longer..
He has the talent incoming no excuses, evolve or we will find someone who has figured it out.
UConn is the best team in the world. So if Pike doesn’t achieve that he’s all wrong as a coach? I’m sorry but that’s stupidity.

And your comparison is pure conjecture. The only good shooter pike ever had was Harper, and his shooting percentage wasn’t even great. You have no idea what Pike would do with talented players. We will hopefully find out soon. You’re just in a negative fantasy land spiral. We had one bad year. Get a grip.

UConn is the best team in the world. So if Pike doesn’t achieve that he’s all wrong as a coach? I’m sorry but that’s stupidity.

And your comparison is pure conjecture. The only good shooter pike ever had was Harper, and his shooting percentage wasn’t even great. You have no idea what Pike would do with talented players. We will hopefully find out soon. You’re just in a negative fantasy land spiral. We had one bad year. Get a grip.
Relax! I was simply pointing out one coached who evolved and has found tremendous success. The other has yet to do so and needs too. No excuses next year

Relax! I was simply pointing out one coached who evolved and has found tremendous success. The other has yet to do so and needs too. No excuses next year
No excuses, other than NIL and prestige of the program?

If Pike has, let’s say, 2/3 of the NIL of the average Big Ten teams, and 1/2 of the elite teams, what would be your bar for him?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
No excuses, other than NIL and prestige of the program?

If Pike has, let’s say, 2/3 of the NIL of the average Big Ten teams, and 1/2 of the elite teams, what would be your bar for him?
Once again ! 2/3 of the average big ten team? Why are Dylan and Ace not playing for one of them next year? Somehow NIL appears and we act like it’s not there. Stop w the excuses? What are the excuses if he doesn’t win next year? We didn’t get Copper?

Once again ! 2/3 of the average big ten team? Why are Dylan and Ace not playing for one of them next year? Somehow NIL appears and we act like it’s not there. Stop w the excuses? What are the excuses if he doesn’t win next year? We didn’t get Copper?
I don’t know what you are saying.

That’s a college basketball problem not a Pike problem. Soon we will be the NBA, just a bunch of kids who shoot and no one plays defense or tries to get offensive rebounds until the playoffs. Horrible product
Basketball nerds think its a horrible product, the masses will love it though.

Plus big time sports betting potential when you have an offense only league.

Also, college basketball used to be NBA minded back in the day. Look at game scores in the 70s and 80s.

On top of their history (UConn), must help that football isn’t really pulling NIL dollars there.
I was thinking the same thing. Rutgers also seems more invested in the non revenue sports, which is typical for a member of a major conference (which UConn isn't). This definitely siphons off $ from basketball, whether it's NIL for those sports or just the cost of facilities and quality coaches to compete on a national level. Wonder how much of Hurley's success is do to deeper pockets at primarily a one sport school?

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Uconn would give up its "first born "to be in the Acc, Big Ten ,etc. Maybe even their Ncaa championship to get to a real league. They are orphans who needed a home. Great basketball team but in the long run as a school wanting major status afforded by a major conference they are currently screwed.
They are like Notre Dame in football who survives as a independent and would be the first choice bye the B1G Ten for additional expansion.

I was thinking the same thing. Rutgers also seems more invested in the non revenue sports, which is typical for a member of a major conference (which UConn isn't). This definitely siphons off $ from basketball, whether it's NIL for those sports or just the cost of facilities and quality coaches to compete on a national level. Wonder how much of Hurley's success is do to deeper pockets at primarily a one sport school?

I’m sure it helps - but let’s not take anything from Hurley, the man is an excellent coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT