ADVERTISEMENT

"He is the best player in our league," Illinois coach Brad Underwood told me. "Most dominant player in our league. No doubt about it."

Cliff is going to create a lot of open shots for others as teams collapse on him. Cam should be a major beneficiary.
Paul cliff and cam can be super dangerous in ball screen action. Once they have that chemistry down it’s going to be extremely hard to guard. Don’t see Paul making many bad reads off that. Even if he makes the wrong read he can’t really go wrong 😂😂

This is a little cryptic. What do you mean specifically? Surprising dimensions to his game that we haven’t seen before?

Not the same type of player but I interpreted it as he was saying that he could potentially put up Garza type numbers. BTW if Cam turns out to be anything close to our version of Wieskamp - look out…. Iowa didn’t have an all conference defensive player of the year type on those teams.

Not the same type of player but I interpreted it as he was saying that he could potentially put up Garza type numbers. BTW if Cam turns out to be anything close to our version of Wieskamp - look out…. Iowa didn’t have an all conference defensive player of the year type on those teams.
Wieskamp is on the Spurs, I don't think we need to put that kind of expectation on Spencer.

I'm not worried about foul trouble for Cliff. He had 70 fouls over 32 games last season while playing nearly 29 minutes per game. He only had 43 fouls in 20 conference games. I think he is enough of a star to not see that backslide much, too.

Wieskamp is on the Spurs, I don't think we need to put that kind of expectation on Spencer.

I'm not worried about foul trouble for Cliff. He had 70 fouls over 32 games last season while playing nearly 29 minutes per game. He only had 43 fouls in 20 conference games. I think he is enough of a star to not see that backslide much, too.

Wieskamp wasn’t as good his first few years. I think it’s possible Cam could be like the 2018-19 version of him.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

This.

I was worried, as probably some others were, that we'd be in trouble if Cliff became a foul magnet but surprisingly, he was not. Plus, let's face it, the refs seem to favor some of the B1G stars and Cliff IS a star, ergo he may get away with things others may not...we've all seen it before.

I am concerned about fouls, don’t see him being a dominant player consistently.
I see it in spurts, don’t think he has it in him to do it minute after minute game after game
Cliff has shown an amazing ability to stay out of foul trouble last year. Only a couple games all season was it an issue

Reactions: LOU-RU85
My biggest concern about Cliff is conditioning. He is going to be asked to do a lot and last year often times he didn’t have the same spring in his step in the 2nd half of games.

I hope so. Passing has definitely been an area of weakness for Cliff.
I don’t want to see passes from Cliff going to cutters in the lane or anything cross court. Don’t think he’s ready and would force. Post up, back to basket, pass out to natural line of vision—corner or wing.

I am concerned about fouls, don’t see him being a dominant player consistently.
I see it in spurts, don’t think he has it in him to do it minute after minute game after game
If he gets the star treatment like Garza he will be fine . But we are rutgers ….

Dean is In better condition and if Woolfork and/ or Chol come along , we will be in a better position to cover For Cliff if he picks up early fouls.

Lots of high expectations for Cliff this year….IMO maybe too much. It’s a long season, hopefully fanbase has some patience and perspective.

Also……remember we’ve heard Cliff will be getting the green light to develop his skills for next level , i.e. taking more shots from the outside. We’ll see how that goes. When I went to the first game he played in the Jersey Shore League this summer, lots of chucking from outside the paint.

Can never know until the games are played, but I really like distribution mix of this years roster - good combo of youth an experience.
I like that we have 3 true frosh coming in along with 3 returning starters. A portal kid with less question marks than the 2 we brought in last year. 5 returning subs from a tournament team (albeit we had a weak bench but if even a few of these guys make strides we’re well positioned).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT