ADVERTISEMENT

Here are our peers in recruiting- Hard Data

If your goal is winning the B1G East I believe you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment. I am interested in a coach that can consistently win 6-9 games per year. Schiano didn't win one outright conference championship, yet he is a god to many on this board.

I would ageee with that. The hill is just way to high to climb. Winning our division will take continued building at every level. Frankly, I’m not sure the administration has the stomach for it. A solid program that goes to bowls is probably our Everest for the foreseeable future. Anything else is not realistic.

Basketball and Olympic sports is where we can compete at the highest levels.

Wouldn't it be likely that based on territory alone, Temple would offer many of our recruits?
How many who have Temple offers also have a P5 offer?

Try using some reading comprehension and reading the whole thread. I was in a hurry when I responded. Cali mentioned above a 4 year rebuild for the next coach and a total overhaul. I could have quoted his post too, but I did not. THAT is also what I was referring to in addition to the OP.

The OP was a stupid collection of a lot of information that has no meaning. The major takeaway is 46% of our current recruiting class do not have P5 offers. Yeah, that is not great, but peers in the B1G have done more with less--that is the point.

Our highest rated recruit falls into the category of no P5 offers. Some on this board are transfixed on star ratings. Instead of acknowledging that we have a highly rated recruit by the rating services, our resident curmudgeons will find a way to criticize and diminish the recruit. It's what our fans love to do.

I am not defending Ash or saying the recruiting class is great. It's not. But it is not a total disaster either. The right coach could work with the current roster and the 2019 class and get us to 5-7 or 6-6 in year 1.

Seems a detailed discussion is a little too nuanced for you. You prefer to hurl insults and call names. The mentality of some on this board sucks right now. I get people not being happy about Ash coming back. But there is nothing we can do about it. Crying and whining about everything wrong with the program isn't improving the situation either. Some of us prefer to see the brighter side, something some people here never seem to see.

I have tried to see the brighter side in basketball since 1992.
All I ask for is to be a part of selection Sunday.
27 years and counting and basketball is in better shape than football despite the fact we are still picked to finish last in the conference.
Optimistic Rutgers fan is an oxymoron.

This should be a must read for those that think keeping Ash was the right move.But hey, their the same who think his job security wasn't hurting recruiting.Same group that would drink the Kool Aid when Big Bob's job was in danger, when Pernitti's was, when Flood's was,when Julie's was and now Ash's,unreal.Of all mentioned, I loved Big Bob, but he did let the basketball program and the RAC wither and die on the vine.

Bob Mulcahy was hired to build a FB program at Rutgers. He accomplished that.

Without the stadium expansion and some level of FB success we would not be in the B1G today.

Joe Quinlan ran most of the other sports for RU during Bobs tenure as AD.

Sofa King what.

A closer look at Northwestern's classes reveals about 25% of their classes having no other P5 offers and about 50% with offers from NW and only Indiana and/or Illinois. Seems to have really hurt them.

Fitz' 2006 class sucked, ranked at #81. Yet in 2008, NW went 9-4/5-3.

Purdue's 2014-17 classes were ranked 71, 68, 73 and 68 before Brohm took over.
David Blough's only other offer was Memphis. Seems to have hurt them immensely.
DJ Knox was a 2 star recruit with no other offers, and he rushed for 868 yards this year.

Blackshear was a 2 star and lightly recruited.
Melton, Lewis, and Oden had long P5 offer lists--how did/are they working out?
Try harder, OP.

2nh6qx.jpg

Anyone have a list of the commit list changes for 2019, (since before early signing day) i think this offer list is even worse now with some of those who didnt make it yet like wise, ugwu

Some Ash apologists suggested in another thread that recruiting isn't as bad as people are saying..... so to see the truth, I went ahead and aggregated all of the offers of our current verbal commitments are for 2019 under Chris Ash.

Main findings:
46% of our current class doesn't have a single offer from another P5 School

Our main recruiting peers (who we are competing with for our recruits) are Temple, UMass, and Buffalo

How the f*ck can you keep Ash after a 1-11 season and this kind of recruiting????? Its mind-boggling

Raw data of our recruits offer lists below, draw your own conclusions

FREQUENCY SCHOOL
7 Temple
6 UMass
6 Buffalo
5 Kent State
5 Maryland
4 UConn
3 Boston College
3 Syracuse
3 Fordham
3 Old Dominion
2 Morgan State
2 Pittsburgh
2 West Virginia
2 Army
2 Duke
2 Rice
2 Georgia Tech
2 Virginia
2 Cincinnati
2 UCF
2 Wake Forest
1 Towson
1 Eastern Michigan
1 Ohio
1 Robert Morris
1 Western Michigan
1 Lafayette
1 Maine
1 New Hampshire
1 North Carolina
1 NC State
1 New Mexico
1 Akron
1 Ball State
1 Bowling Green
1 Eastern Kentucky
1 Miami-OH
1 Toledo
1 Youngstown State
1 Miami
1 Missouri
1 Bryant
1 Brown
1 Central Michigan
1 Georgetown
1 Pittsburgh
1 Rhode Island
1 Wisconsin
Not sure this has any real meaning for current class. Like with all data you need context else it’s just spin. That’s the problem in America today. 98% of folks can’t think context so essentially they are clueless. Anyhow not disputing the numbers, but it’s meaningless unless you see factors such whether we were first to offer, where other schools are on their offers and the commitability of those offers. For example, Penn St right now is focusing their offered on elite 4-5 star talent. We can’t because we won’t be taken seriously. We are building relationships with next tier. These will be kids Penn St will go after next if their elite targets don't pan out. Without the early relationships Rutgers doesn’t have a chance and this board turns to whining about “why didn’t we offer.”

IIRC, when Ash was hired, he said that Urban's philosophy was to only recruit players that he felt were projected to be NFL players (he might have said first round picks, not really sure). Must be a kick in the balls to be recruiting at this level.

Anyone have a list of the commit list changes for 2019, (since before early signing day) i think this offer list is even worse now with some of those who didn't make it yet like wise, ugwu
Your conclusion appears to be that our recruits stink, they don't get offers from P5 schools. So making a list of schools that offer these kids actually just adds a layer of complexity.

The stars ratings could show our recruits stink compared to BigTen schools.. the number of recruits with ZERO other P5 offers could show it.. the ratio of recruits with P5 offers to those we take with zero P5 offers could show it. But you should also add a control of showing that same data for a peer Big Ten school (aka not Ohio State, etc, though even they might announce a recruit without another P5 offer... ).

But listing every school that a non-P5 level recruit gets? That doesn't add value... it just abstracts things more.

Some Ash apologists suggested in another thread that recruiting isn't as bad as people are saying..... so to see the truth, I went ahead and aggregated all of the offers of our current verbal commitments are for 2019 under Chris Ash.

Main findings:
46% of our current class doesn't have a single offer from another P5 School

Our main recruiting peers (who we are competing with for our recruits) are Temple, UMass, and Buffalo

How the f*ck can you keep Ash after a 1-11 season and this kind of recruiting????? Its mind-boggling

Raw data of our recruits offer lists below, draw your own conclusions

FREQUENCY SCHOOL
7 Temple
6 UMass
6 Buffalo
5 Kent State
5 Maryland
4 UConn
3 Boston College
3 Syracuse
3 Fordham
3 Old Dominion
2 Morgan State
2 Pittsburgh
2 West Virginia
2 Army
2 Duke
2 Rice
2 Georgia Tech
2 Virginia
2 Cincinnati
2 UCF
2 Wake Forest
1 Towson
1 Eastern Michigan
1 Ohio
1 Robert Morris
1 Western Michigan
1 Lafayette
1 Maine
1 New Hampshire
1 North Carolina
1 NC State
1 New Mexico
1 Akron
1 Ball State
1 Bowling Green
1 Eastern Kentucky
1 Miami-OH
1 Toledo
1 Youngstown State
1 Miami
1 Missouri
1 Bryant
1 Brown
1 Central Michigan
1 Georgetown
1 Pittsburgh
1 Rhode Island
1 Wisconsin

We didnt offer anybody with an Ohio State or Michigan offer? Doesnt sound correct

We didnt offer anybody with an Ohio State or Michigan offer? Doesnt sound correct

The op was the listing of the other offers our commits had before early signing day. I was wondering what the updated list would be for the actual players who will be joining the team this season, sans the transfers

Reactions: MOBFreehold
No need to worry. @Knight Shift points out that the worst collection of talent in the P5 can be turned around relatively quickly with the right hire after Ash is canned. Top level guy, maybe an up and coming coaching genius. And Hobbs shouldn't have too much of a problem convincing this type of guy to grab this golden opportunity.

History suggests that this is a likely scenario at RU.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT