ADVERTISEMENT

Here is why Ash will never be a winning coach.

RU from Jersey

All Conference
Jan 16, 2002
When MSU mishandled the snap on the field goal attempt, right before the half, and RU picked it off and ran it back to the 35 with 21 seconds left RU then took a knee with I believe one time out left. That is a loser's mentality. What do you have to lose by going for it. Throw it down field and see if you can get lucky(with that 1 time out you can even throw it down the middle). Or even run a draw play to maybe catch MSU in a bad defense. You are 1-10 why not take that chance. Worst case MSU returns a turnover for a TD(highly unlikely) but you would still be in the game. Any coach, worth one's salt, would have taken a shot after that sudden change. So far Ash has done these types of things(not taking any chances) over and over again. In order to turn things around you need to take chances and I don't believe CA is capable of doing that as he plays everything close to the vest. RU is doomed for at least another year. Penny wise and pound foolish. Sad........

When MSU mishandled the snap on the field goal attempt, right before the half, and RU picked it off and ran it back to the 35 with 21 seconds left RU then took a knee with I believe one time out left. That is a loser's mentality. What do you have to lose by going for it. Throw it down field and see if you can get lucky(with that 1 time out you can even throw it down the middle). Or even run a draw play to maybe catch MSU in a bad defense. You are 1-10 why not take that chance. Worst case MSU returns a turnover for a TD(highly unlikely) but you would still be in the game. Any coach, worth one's salt, would have taken a shot after that sudden change. So far Ash has done these types of things(not taking any chances) over and over again. In order to turn things around you need to take chances and I don't believe CA is capable of doing that as he plays everything close to the vest. RU is doomed for at least another year. Penny wise and pound foolish. Sad........
Like we had a passing game? That’s smart coaching. Develop a QB next year and then we take a few shots there.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Yep, loser mentality that has persevered - remember punting within the opponents 40 yard line?

Reactions: RUskoolie
Next year at RU. Isn’t that what you want?
Yes, but who? Art struggled and Ash didn't help keep Art on track. Why would you keep sending him out there as Art's struggles became worse? Bench the QB for a series or two so he can regroup, but noooooo. Ash decided to let the young QB break down mentally so his physical gifts become bad habits as everything fails around him.

Reactions: redking
My beef was running that damn sweep on 3rd and 5 on the last series. He basically just gave up and said OK we'll punt from our own end zone with 5:00 left. That's the loser mentality. For god's sake throw a screen, a wheel route, a bubble screen but at least try. Hell let Gio drop back with a chance to scramble for it. This was the best running defense in the Big 10 and you call a sweep on third and 5. Whoever was responsible for that call threw in the towel and abandoned everything the team fought for today.

Yes, but who? Art struggled and Ash didn't help keep Art on track. Why would you keep sending him out there as Art's struggles became worse? Bench the QB for a series or two so he can regroup, but noooooo. Ash decided to let the young QB break down mentally so his physical gifts become bad habits as everything fails around him.
That’s a different topic. I said no way we try to score before the half because we had no passing game. We need to develop one for next season. Art has the arm to do it. Then you go for it there. Follow the thread.

My beef was running that damn sweep on 3rd and 5 on the last series. He basically just gave up and said OK we'll punt from our own end zone with 5:00 left. That's the loser mentality. For god's sake throw a screen, a wheel route, a bubble screen but at least try. This was the best running defense in the Big 10 and you call a sweep on third and 5. Whoever was responsible for that call threw in the towel and abandoned everything the team fought for today.

exactly my thoughts...you cannot hope to kick the ball and hope your defense holds them from within the 50...you have to play balls out and try to win the game and get out of that tough spot...disappointing he took the safe move which of course would lead to a td for MSU on a short field

There were only 15 seconds left and you're on the 35 yard line. You need 30 yards to get into FG range. You have a QB who can't pass, at least not up to generally accepted FBS standards.

I would have preferred running a draw to see if you could get close enough to throw a Hail Mary. But I really didn't have a problem with the kneeldown.

Reactions: rutger80
That’s a different topic. I said no way we try to score before the half because we had no passing game. We need to develop one for next season. Art has the arm to do it. Then you go for it there. Follow the thread.
Try telling the players let not score before halftime because we suck at passing and you'll lose team quicker than you can sneeze.

Just because Art has an arm doesn't mean he's the answer. The habits Art developed this year is a defense's dream.

Try telling the players let not score before halftime because we suck at passing and you'll lose team quicker than you can sneeze.

Just because Art has an arm doesn't mean he's the answer. The habits Art developed this year is a defense's dream.
It was the right decision in that spot. Schiano did it all of the time.

It was the right decision in that spot. Schiano did it all of the time.
Your argument makes sense if Rutgers was playing meaningful games, but they weren't at this stage of the season. Any coach who wants his team to keep fighting for him has to show faith in them. Consider the position Rutgers is in; you give yourself one shot before halftime to score. Rutgers is playing with house money and has nothing to lose. If the first play doesn't result in chunk yards, then you take it to the locker room and regroup.

Like we had a passing game? That’s smart coaching. Develop a QB next year and then we take a few shots there.

That might have been an Opp. for Artur to go vertical (60-70 yards). If we hit it BINGO. If we don't we've just changed field position and there's probably less that 20 seconds till half.

MO

That might have been an Opp. for Artur to go vertical (60-70 yards). If we hit it BINGO. If we don't we've just changed field position and there's probably less that 20 seconds till half.

MO
Can’t bring him in there IMO. Gio deserved to start and finish this game.

I disagree. Our offense has trouble scoring, let alone scoring in 20 seconds. Most likely MSU would get the ball back with the potential to put up another score.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
yeah sure..... we should have pulled out that magic 38-yard completed pass play we had been hiding all season just for that occasion......[roll]

lolz......... after the punt-screw-up I couldn't believe we were 7-7 at half (and getting ball back)........ nope, this wasn't one of the things that I will crap on ashes about........

Can’t bring him in there IMO. Gio deserved to start and finish this game.

I meant " bring him in for a few plays" ….situationally. Gio continues....but like Ohio State, they didn't use Haskins (a good choice for Heisman) when they were inside the 5 yard line of Michigan (1st / goal).

MO

Last edited:
So you’re talking about next year during a game this year? You need to try and win now.
Huh? This year is over so it’s okay to talk about next year. If we have an Offense next year, that is a spot we can take a couple of shots down the field. I can see the other side of the argument but I’m not as pissed at this as some of you because I watched our Offense struggle all season long. We dodged a bullet there and it was time to get on the locker room and regroup imo. We started getting sloppy and stupid near the end of the half. Actually near the end of both halves.

The bottom line for me is that in order to change the narrative at RU you have to take chances and think outside the box. To me Chris Ash has not shown either of these so we will see the same results next year.

Reactions: vkj91 and RUskoolie
Remember when we tried to go for it against OSU and Art got broken in 2? That was the right play at the right time.

He never takes chances in any situation. Punts whenever he can, runs the clock out whenever he can. Doesn't do trick plays on special teams, no suprise onside kicks, no attempts to block punts. He coaches like such a massive loser and his players follow his passive approach. This dolt probably gets dealt 9 in black jack and tells the dealer he'll stay.

Yep, loser mentality that has persevered - remember punting within the opponents 40 yard line?

Actually, that is not that uncommon for coaches to punt within the 40 yard line. What made Ash unique is that I think he once punted from the opponents 28 yard line!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT