ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Dunleavy

Yeah Baby

Heisman Winner
Aug 14, 2001
We gave up 16 pts so I don't think we can really say two of our corners had rough outings. That's our style. We leave them on an island and they will get beat or take penalties at times.

Reactions: rutgersal
Are you really expecting him or others of his ilk to have one iota of football knowledge?

many in our fanbase expect perfection out of our corners, and they need to realize that's not how it works. our corners are going to get beat every once in while. it goes with the territory. That said, Damon Hayes had a number of terrific pass breakups.

Reactions: PaRU102
"Corners are only getting beat once in awhile"
You have no clue what team you are watching.

Hard to get a pick when you're not in the correct position. At some point you have to look for the ball and not one second before it gets there. Of course, putting pressure on the QB makes it easier.

Reactions: RUJMM78
We gave up 16 pts so I don't think we can really say two of our corners had rough outings. That's our style. We leave them on an island and they will get beat or take penalties at times.

While I typically can't stand Dumbleavy - damn I didn't think of that one before - our corners/dbs simply did NOT have a good game, at all, this past Saturday.

Would it kill them to turn around while the ball is in flight? I can't remember how many times I yelled "TURN AROUND" and then five seconds later here comes the flag. So much incidental contact occurs on long pass plays but if you don't turn around, you make the ref's job easy.

Would it kill them to turn around while the ball is in flight? I can't remember how many times I yelled "TURN AROUND" and then five seconds later here comes the flag. So much incidental contact occurs on long pass plays but if you don't turn around, you make the ref's job easy.

Hasn't this always been an issue for some time now?!? Seems like since Schiano.

Reactions: RUJMM78

Because you and many others in our fanbase misunderstand the technique being used, and its quite frankly annoying. Ash says the corners are playing fine. @RUskoolie described it best, to illustrate the point for others. Run 20 yards in a straight line. Now run 20 yards with your head turned. You should notice that you can't run as fast with your head turned. This is precisely why our corners dont turn their head prematurely, because they risk losing the Receiver. I asked a super bowl ring wearing former DB from Pitt about this. He said the corner needs to stay in phase with the receiver matching him stride for stride and can turn his head:

1) when the receiver turns his head
2) when his teammates yell "Ball, Ball!" He can then turn his head to locate the ball

Schiano didnt put a ton of dbs in the NFL by teaching them the wrong technique.

Because you and many others in our fanbase misunderstand the technique being used, and its quite frankly annoying. Ash says the corners are playing fine. @RUskoolie described it best, to illustrate the point for others. Run 20 yards in a straight line. Now run 20 yards with your head turned. You should notice that you can't run as fast with your head turned. This is precisely why our corners dont turn their head prematurely, because they risk losing the Receiver. I asked a super bowl ring wearing former DB from Pitt about this. He said the corner needs to stay in phase with the receiver matching him stride for stride and can turn his head:

1) when the receiver turns his head
2) when his teammates yell "Ball, Ball!" He can then turn his head to locate the ball

Schiano didnt put a ton of dbs in the NFL by teaching them the wrong technique.

To piggy back, if you are within an arms length of the DB you can turn your head. At that time you need to "lean and locate", which literally means, lean into the WR, possible knocking him slightly off his straight line route towards the boundary and locate the football.

If you are burnt you do not look back for the ball. You catch up to his hip and maybe if you catch up by the time the ball arrives, make a play up through the ball...or if you are too slow to arrive you make the tackle...or if you are too slow for that you run in shame after him for getting burnt to a crisp.

Class dismissed.

Hayes and Wharton got beat like a drum.

Reactions: RU_DIO
19-36, 1 TD pass. 260 yds. Hardly toasted.
Rivals article post game;

Hayes and Wharton?

It was a long day at cornerback for both Isaiah Wharton and Damon Hayes. Hayes stepped in a made a couple of plays after Wharton was beaten a couple of times in the first quarter. When Wharton came back in for Hayes in the second quarter, EMU quarterback Brogan Roback went right at him and completed a 10-yard pass, but it was called back because of a penalty. However, Hayes was flagged for a pass interference late in the second quarter on a downfield pass that set up an Eastern Michigan field goal. Wharton answered with a third-quarter interference penalty of his own, but it was declined in favor of the 26 yard catch Sergio Bailey caught on Wharton. Both players also had their share of struggles through the second half.

Rivals article post game;

Hayes and Wharton?

It was a long day at cornerback for both Isaiah Wharton and Damon Hayes. Hayes stepped in a made a couple of plays after Wharton was beaten a couple of times in the first quarter. When Wharton came back in for Hayes in the second quarter, EMU quarterback Brogan Roback went right at him and completed a 10-yard pass, but it was called back because of a penalty. However, Hayes was flagged for a pass interference late in the second quarter on a downfield pass that set up an Eastern Michigan field goal. Wharton answered with a third-quarter interference penalty of his own, but it was declined in favor of the 26 yard catch Sergio Bailey caught on Wharton. Both players also had their share of struggles through the second half.
I think both of those guys suffer a bit from playing opposite Austen, who QB's will throw away from. So Hayes and Wharton will see a ton of balls thrown their way. But 19-36 260 yds 1 td, is not a big time passing game. Decent #'s.

And Roback has talent, and had a lot of time.

If I had an issue with the defense in this game it was the lack of pass rush, not the coverage.

I hate to sound like a broken record but pass defense has always been a problem for us. I understand the strategy of not losing speed by not turning your head to the ball. But if the receiver slows and the defender is within arms distance (or thereabouts) I see no problem with turning to look for the ball. Too many times this has not happened and we get slammed with the flag or the receiver making the reception. There just seems to be a lack of awareness on the part our pass defense.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
DBs are instructed to locate ball upon reciever hand motion,and reciever attempting to catch ball at high point of throw. Here is Saints DB coach;

Despite remaining in lockstep with Bailey and being in position to make a play on the ball, Jean-Baptiste played Bailey’s hands as the pass arrived. It wasn’t what the coaching staff wanted to see.

“The common error that a lot of defensive backs make: They get to the top of the route and they want to stay in defensive mode,” McGriff said. “That defensive back that doesn’t turn and look for the ball and continues to play defensive back and never turns in to the receiver, it’s going to be hard for him to take the football away on a deep ball.”

Dunkeavy listened to me if you read my latest article. mad chuck I suggest you read it. You have proven to be clueless and need all the help you can get. A couple of others should read it as well. Cmon man.

I rewatched the EMU game. Here are the mistakes I got from our corners. Times and yardage might not be exact because I did this on the fly.

Hayes
1st QTR 3:01 - Beat on fade, receiver dropped the ball
2nd QTR 2:17 - P.I.
2nd QTR 1:05 - 5 yard crossing route
3rd QTR 4:49 - 25 yard completion. Gets lost in zone coverage
4th QTR 13:55 - 30 yard vertical
4th QTR 13:05 - P.I.

Wharton
1st QTR 11:03 - 30 yard vertical
2nd QTR 10:30 - 15 yard out, flag, called back
3rd QTR 7:53 - 20 yard comeback, P.I., declined
3rd QTR 3:00 - 20 yard back shoulder fade

Austin
3rd QTR 2:09 - 15 yard back shoulder fade
4th QTR 11:35 - 15 yard post

Dunkeavy listened to me if you read my latest article. mad chuck I suggest you read it. You have proven to be clueless and need all the help you can get. A couple of others should read it as well. Cmon man.

I'm clueless? Yeah, okay. I said that Bolin had a week arm and only threw 2100 yards 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions at Louisville. While the rest of you guys acted like he was Aaron Rodgers. I told you Anthony Cioffi wasn't going to make the Raiders. I said to temper the expectations on the grad transfers because most of them didn't dominate at their previous schools.. I said we weren't going to win 6 games. I said we Eastern Michigan and Purdue were NOT automatic wins but now I have no idea what I'm talking about? Keep drinking your Kool Aid and I'll live in reality. Roback would've threw for 300+ but the rest of the yards were pass interference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT