ADVERTISEMENT

Hispanics and Blacks protest to get into Univ of Cal Berkerly

"Of the more than 27,000 undergraduate students at UC Berkeley, 39 percent are Asians, 26 percent Caucasian, Latinos represent 14 percent and African Americans represent 3 percent. "Their hopes are pretty much diminished based on when they look around. We've counted seven people of color in the last hour," teacher Andrew D. said"

I don't understand...

I also suppose that Asians aren't "people of color"...

What happened to the days when we talked thing out or went to the polls to initiate change. I don't want to be mean spirited but this country is becoming a real mess in a big real hurry. I remember my history professor in college say like Rome the U.S. will emplode from internal decay.

Last edited:
California voted to remove affirmative action from their universities during the 90s due to so many qualified Asians being screwed over for decades like they do everywhere else in the country. When they removed it and based admissions purely on qualifications, Asians went from 20% to as high as 60% in some of the system while blacks dropped from 15% to 5%. All it shows is when you make the rules fair, the cream rises to the top. Work ethic and parenting make a huge difference.

"This country is eroding..the good thing is most of us will be dead when it totally implodes in about 50 years."

I don't see it taking this long. Unfortunately, this country's a mess

Reactions: LC-88
At Berkeley, Asians are not considered a minority. Even when I started Berkeley in 1968, Asians were not treated differently from white people. I have to say there is something wrong with the figures: Berkeley does not have 27,000 undergraduates, but more like 20,000: maybe grad students are being included. I was a little surprised that the campus has 14% Hispanics. But it should be kept in mind that to be Hispanic all one needs is to have a Spanish surname, and that's true of people in a wide range of social brackets.

Dissension about the number of blacks at Berkeley has been going on forever. I don't mind the university taking a chance on someone who, like many blacks, has overcome obstacles in his or her background, but I also think that preferential admissions go against what this country is about. I am considered far to the right on my faculty for holding this belief.

Last edited:
You got it. Special interest groups have abused the meaning of the constitution to achieve what they want. The Islamists are not far behind.

that's coming to because god forbid we offend them...twitter will freak over that and heads will have to roll..unfortunatey our own

A kid has to work twice as hard to get out of the hood than a private school kid. Being born on third base doesn't mean you worked hard.
So what.

Who cares if the delta is greater. What matters is if the final value is greater. What matters is where you finish, not where you start. What you're advocating is to reward people that have the longest road to climb to reach par over those whom have already exceeded par. That's the dumbest argument ever... :flush:

The thing is though: does a public university have an overriding need to pick THE best students who apply above everything or is it not ok to accept qualified applicants who ARE good enough and bring other things to the table?

A public university (especially a flagship) has an obligation to give it's students the best quality of education possible. To do this, they need to accept the best possible regardless of race, economic background or social connections.

Reactions: broey
The thing is though: does a public university have an overriding need to pick THE best students who apply above everything or is it not ok to accept qualified applicants who ARE good enough and bring other things to the table?

What does someone bring to the table who isn't as smart or accomplished, to a university, taking race out of it?

What does someone bring to the table who isn't as smart or accomplished, to a university, taking race out of it?

A heavy weight that drags everyone around them down. Academia should be merit based. Anything else is just ludicrous and goes against everything that academics represents. In this day and age where diplomas are like toilet paper, the worth of academics has plummeted. The farce of letting in unqualified students to satisfy some political quota just drops it down further.

A kid has to work twice as hard to get out of the hood than a private school kid. Being born on third base doesn't mean you worked hard.

you are kidding me with this argument. There are also so many whites who are poor and grow up with a crap environment....are we helping them..well no because they are white not black

the notion that all whites are born on third base is comical. I am not crying and lobbying the government because my parents didn't own a McMansion. That's life. People are born into all difference economical circumstances. Its called hard work, working your way up. Most people have to do it. Most of us aren't born into a privileged rich household

"Of the more than 27,000 undergraduate students at UC Berkeley, 39 percent are Asians, 26 percent Caucasian, Latinos represent 14 percent and African Americans represent 3 percent. "Their hopes are pretty much diminished based on when they look around. We've counted seven people of color in the last hour," teacher Andrew D. said"

I don't understand...

I also suppose that Asians aren't "people of color"...

Are they interested in realigning the population of the athletic teams to more closely match the demographics of the community or are they staying performance based?

So what.

Who cares if the delta is greater. What matters is if the final value is greater. What matters is where you finish, not where you start. What you're advocating is to reward people that have the longest road to climb to reach par over those whom have already exceeded par. That's the dumbest argument ever... :flush:
I agree with you except my final value is post college not pre-college. I guess you don't understand second derivative. Someone who starts at .60 and gets to par should be rewarded over someone that starts at par and gets to 1.02.

you are kidding me with this argument. There are also so many whites who are poor and grow up with a crap environment....are we helping them..well no because they are white not black

the notion that all whites are born on third base is comical. I am not crying and lobbying the government because my parents didn't own a McMansion. That's life. People are born into all difference economical circumstances. Its called hard work, working your way up. Most people have to do it. Most of us aren't born into a privileged rich household

And most of us we're taught by our families to work hard and delay gratification to achieve success.

We should be dealing with people based on the content of their character and their abilities and achievements not their skin color.

Reactions: csphi

It depends on what intrinsically useful things these other things are that they are bringing to the table.

well now they want to give illegal immigrants drivers licenses in NJ..I wonder if they will give these out for free...I bet you they do

While I recognize the truth in that, I'm not sure how that's relevant here. Unless you mean to say that you think admissions should be based on where a person is coming from, and not on their race? Not everyone living in a "hood" is of a single race.

Also, let's say an elite college makes a certain number of slots available to race X based on percentage of population (or whatever). How likely do you think it is that those slots will be filled by people of race X from a "hood" versus people of race X from suburbia? I guess what I'm saying is that, if the problem is escaping from the hood, then that problem should be addressed more directly (in the hood) and non-racially (because, again, not everyone in a hood is of a single race).

I don't have the answers, but I don't think artificially lowering the bar for entry to elite schools or excluding those people who have worked hard and most deserve to be admitted is the correct solution. I think, probably, that finding ways to raise the qualifications of underrepresented groups so that they can better compete is more likely to be a solution where everybody wins.

Otherwise, our nation's most important national security interest, education, becomes a race to mediocrity. This would not be a good thing.

I do, however, think that our country would be well-served to ensure that any student that maintains a certain level of grades in HS can get a college education. Not necessarily at an elite school, and not at the cost of some other deserving student not being able to attend college. I just think it's in our national interest to find a way to have as well-educated a populace as possible. In fact I think it's a national security issue at least as important as defense funding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT