ADVERTISEMENT

Holloway not going to Yale

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s good news. He has presided of a big move in the USNWR rankings upgrade for Rutgers, so that is a good metric for me to think he’s doing a good job.

A metric I'd like to see in addition to that is doing what Mitch Daniels did at Purdue, keeping that academic reputation and not raise tuition for 7 consecutive years.

A metric I'd like to see in addition to that is doing what Mitch Daniels did at Purdue, keeping that academic reputation and not raise tuition for 7 consecutive years.
Just out of curiosity (not busting balls), what was his formula for being able to achieve that?

Just out of curiosity (not busting balls), what was his formula for being able to achieve that?

"Daniels attributed Purdue’s ability to hold the line on tuition to a number of cost-cutting measures over the years, as well as a trustees’ decision to take on more students. Purdue’s enrollment was 41,573 during the fall 2017 semester – up 2,785 students from enrollment during fall 2013."

Enrollment is now (Fall 2023) at 52,211. Increasing enrollment at these levels is not doable at Rutgers.

Also, land, rents and cost of living around Purdue are dirt cheap. Wages for everyone at Purdue (probably except the President) are likely substantially lower than at Rutgers, in a State where the politicians fleece you at every turn. IIRC, having lived in Indiana for a bit and driving through there, no toll roads.

A 4 bedroom, 4 bath 3532 Square foot home in West Lafayette goes for $485,000. Property Taxes are $2,2293.

New construction 4/3 home 2929 square feet goes for $372,000

I didn’t look into it but he could increase OOS students to increase revenue. Reduce the free tuition to low income and reduce merit scholarships for academic but keeping the sticker price the same ( which most students don’t pay). In addition, start becoming more efficient by cutting cost. This will help the $150k-$400k parents who do pay full price.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I didn’t look into it but he could increase OOS students to increase revenue. Reduce the free tuition to low income and reduce merit scholarships for academic but keeping the sticker price the same ( which most students don’t pay). This will help the $150k-$400k parents who do pay full price.

No need to reduce aid to low income students or, for that matter, merit scholarship applicants. Purdue didn't do that.

As far as Purdue being in a low cost area. True. But the tuition that was not raised was the tuition in a low cost area. Rutgers could freeze current tuition, which is a starting point from a high cost area.

That’s good news. He has presided of a big move in the USNWR rankings upgrade for Rutgers, so that is a good metric for me to think he’s doing a good job.
Agree...great news, rankings doing well...and I'll add that I think he's a great president for Rutgers...he's a great spokesperson, knows the value the school has both from academics and athletics, as well as the effectiveness of the joined forces of both. He's very effective in communicating and addressing issues and media. I was impressed with how he addressed issues and media representation of historic racism, the current Gaza encampment, athletic costs, etc.

Agreed! Rutgers, under his leadership, has risen to academic ranks we haven’t seen possibly ever but at least since the mid 80s.

I would hate to lose the momentum we have going for us right now.

Daniels is a true leader. I guess Yale and other highly ranked colleges don't want Holloway, so we are probably stuck with his weaknesses.

No need to reduce aid to low income students or, for that matter, merit scholarship applicants. Purdue didn't do that.

As far as Purdue being in a low cost area. True. But the tuition that was not raised was the tuition in a low cost area. Rutgers could freeze current tuition, which is a starting point from a high cost area.

As you are no doubt aware the difference is the support the school gets from the state. Unlike NJ the main population centers in IN are not 2 hours away from a ton of private schools. You have ND, IU and PU as basically the only games in town aside from Chicago schools which are a schelp from Indianapolis.

Reactions: BossNJ
KING Holloway will just not stop BOSSIN

- RU ranked #40 nationally
- #1 public school in the Northeast
- #15 public nationally
- Both football and bball getting all the support they need
- New Bball facility
- Handled protests with aplomb and better than basically everyone

Watching him laugh off the rubes yesterday was just a masterclass!

We are lucky to have him!

2024 the national average of $11,560 for in state schools. Rutgers is over 16,000. So it is overpriced for a state school.
Not really. And Rutgers tuition is not $16,000.

Maybe the comparison should be in state at state flagship major research universities. For tuition only, here is a comparison. Newsflash, better schools in better locales cost more. Nobody gives a crap about East Pennsyltucky University as a basis of comparison if they want to go to a major university.

Rutgers: $13,674
Maryland: $19,778
UVA: $15,324
Penn State: $20,066
UConn (not really major research) $17,010

KING Holloway will just not stop BOSSIN

- RU ranked #40 nationally
- #1 public school in the Northeast
- #15 public nationally
- Both football and bball getting all the support they need
- New Bball facility
- Handled protests with aplomb and better than basically everyone

Watching him laugh off the rubes yesterday was just a masterclass!

We are lucky to have him!
Yeah, I think it would have been a loss if he left now. We are gaining solid momentum in many areas and then we would have to had to launch another lengthy search with a bunch of political interests involved. This is better for us.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Not really. And Rutgers tuition is not $16,000.

Maybe the comparison should be in state at state flagship major research universities. For tuition only, here is a comparison. Newsflash, better schools in better locales cost more. Nobody gives a crap about East Pennsyltucky University as a basis of comparison if they want to go to a major university.

Rutgers: $13,674
Maryland: $19,778
UVA: $15,324
Penn State: $20,066
UConn (not really major research) $17,010
You are right, according to Rutgers website it was 17,393 this year. So more than 16

You are right, according to Rutgers website it was 17,393 this year. So more than 16
Yup, right from RU-NB's website. Tuition and mandatory fees (i.e., more tuition) is over $17k for in-state students.

Still below all the four colleges in comparison, Univ of Virginia is higher.
I’m not saying it’s expensive. Someone stated it was relatively cheap. I was simply pointing out that compared to other state schools it is not.

I’m not saying it’s expensive. Someone stated it was relatively cheap. I was simply pointing out that compared to other state schools it is not.
Depends on your point of view, relatively cheap can mean not expensive. Also from the point of view of a NJ resident who has to pay either Rutgers price or Out of State price if they don’t have an athletic or merit scholarships. If you live in NJ, your income should be higher than the other states that have colleges with lower tuition especially when you are talking about $2-3k difference in tuition a year.

Many on this board talk about retirement in lower cost states like Florida but if they lived in those state starting in their 20’s, they might not be able to retire due to the lower income in those states. That’s why they wait till they accumulate assets base on their higher income from NJ.

Last edited:
Daniels is a true leader. I guess Yale and other highly ranked colleges don't want Holloway, so we are probably stuck with his weaknesses.
Is it because he is African American? Sorry it’s not 1900 anymore. People from all walks of life who have the credentials and work ethic are allowed to dream big. Holloway has done a fine job so far and will always back our sports programs.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Is it because he is African American? Sorry it’s not 1900 anymore. People from all walks of life who have the credentials and work ethic are allowed to dream big. Holloway has done a fine job so far and will always back our sports programs.
Playing the race card?

You’re pathetic

It’s Jack asses like you who actually hurt the cause of people who actually are discriminated against

Criticizing a minority does not equate to racism

Playing the race card?

You’re pathetic

It’s Jack asses like you who actually hurt the cause of people who actually are discriminated against

Criticizing a minority does not equate to racism
+1
Some people are just so angry and bitter. Sad to see. Thoughts and prayers to him.

Reactions: bac2therac
Agreed! Rutgers, under his leadership, has risen to academic ranks we haven’t seen possibly ever but at least since the mid 80s.

I would hate to lose the momentum we have going for us right now.
I am very happy about the rankings increase as well but the rankings improved due to a new diversity metric involved with rankings.

Hollowoke really did not change anything except give us bad press. The Hospital alliances were even done before he took over.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I think Holloway is doing a fine job, he may have been at the right place at the right time. The hospital alliance might have been agreed upon before his arrival and the ranking increase was due to the US News change In methodology (taking into account cost benefits more). I know many think he handled the pro Palestinian protest badly but I think he did a good job. Ratings will continue to improve with more selective students attending Rutgers. Rutgers will do well if he stays or if he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT