ADVERTISEMENT

Hopkins Game Thread

Hopkins is a master of sniffing life out of a game. This is trouble.

I’d come out and double and shut off. Make them make a play.

Reactions: Wagram97
Gotta face guard off ball. Make them Dodge or force the crease

Wow, a flag against Hopkins late in the 4th. How does that happen?

Need to shake up the line up. Plus too many bad angle shots. Most of our goals were created attacking the middle of the field. When we have long droughts it is because the offense switches to attacking from the alleys and getting the ball stuck in the sticks ( little ball movement)

This league is a buzzsaw. Gotta win our home games and at least one big game.
Just need to play better.
No excuses for how good the league is.
We don’t generate enough good scoring chances in the offensive zone. We laid an egg against OSU. Just flat out lost today.
Great teams win. Doesn’t matter how good the league is

Ross Scott going 1g - 0a in two games can’t happen. Teams have been doubling him and sliding early with no consequences. He has to find a way to beat the doubles and others need to get free and make them pay because the blueprint to beating us is now on tape.

Not nearly enough ball movement with a lot of guys waiting around for someone else to make a play. I get that we are a dodge to score offense but we can’t make it this easy for defenses to slide to the ball.

Here is the problem. You can't expect Scott and Knoblock to do it all. We miss Cameron, but in my mind there is more to it. The midfield offense has not jelled. David Sprock is busting his gut, but it is obvious that his injury has limited him. So who steps up. Nobody has. Kim may have had a hat trick, but other parts of his game were inconsistent. Kulas is a sniper, but somebody has to get the ball to him in space. That has not happened in the last two games. We had a total of 5 assists, and Sprock and Knoblock had three of them. I rest my case.

Offensive ball movement has not been good. Combine that with poor shot selection and accuracy, and suddenly this team has a different look. So, when things go sideways, the tendency is to press. And that gets you into more trouble.

I suspect the boo birds will come out now, but this is not a bad team, and neither are the coaches. We have hit a tough stretch.

Here is the problem. You can't expect Scott and Knoblock to do it all. We miss Cameron, but in my mind there is more to it. The midfield offense has not jelled. David Sprock is busting his gut, but it is obvious that his injury has limited him. So who steps up. Nobody has. Kim may have had a hat trick, but other parts of his game were inconsistent. Kulas is a sniper, but somebody has to get the ball to him in space. That has not happened in the last two games. We had a total of 5 assists, and Sprock and Knoblock had three of them. I rest my case.

Offensive ball movement has not been good. Combine that with poor shot selection and accuracy, and suddenly this team has a different look. So, when things go sideways, the tendency is to press. And that gets you into more trouble.

I suspect the boo birds will come out now, but this is not a bad team, and neither are the coaches. We have hit a tough stretch.
Agree with everything you say especially the pressing comment. Team has everything that they need to be successful. They need to create space ball movement and attack down hill. Trust their talent and play free.

This can go 2 ways from here. They can find someone to step up and go in a win streak or it can go “sideways” as they continue to press and force poor angle shots.

Yes to all of the above, but think that Cameron has been really underrated as a player. Maybe because he came in as the other guy to Bartolo (and even Jacoby). That meant thinking of him out as next man up but how would this offense have been in 2021 if Kirst had been out during conference play, or Bartolo last year. Fact is he is that much of a key player. It's no surprise that our losses this year have been the result of key players out (Rall and Dugenio with Army and now Cameron).

Will be at the Michigan game, hope the stadium is packed and then packed again for Maryland. It was great that Cameron had some playing time, hopefully that means he should be back by Friday. Then take it one game at a time - though a "rookie" with lacrosse, has seemed like it's not how you start but how you finish. And as long as no bad losses, you get some good wins towards the end and see what happens. Plus, it's great that now all teams make the conference tourney (what could have happened after that overtime win against #3 OSU in 2017 if we had the chance at a playoff game).

Reactions: Caliknight
Just need to play better.
No excuses for how good the league is.
We don’t generate enough good scoring chances in the offensive zone. We laid an egg against OSU. Just flat out lost today.
Great teams win. Doesn’t matter how good the league is
Maryland is a great team. They just lost to the lowest ranked team in the league. Admitting how tough it is isn’t an excuse. It’s an opportunity.

Yes to all of the above, but think that Cameron has been really underrated as a player. Maybe because he came in as the other guy to Bartolo (and even Jacoby). That meant thinking of him out as next man up but how would this offense have been in 2021 if Kirst had been out during conference play, or Bartolo last year. Fact is he is that much of a key player. It's no surprise that our losses this year have been the result of key players out (Rall and Dugenio with Army and now Cameron).

Will be at the Michigan game, hope the stadium is packed and then packed again for Maryland. It was great that Cameron had some playing time, hopefully that means he should be back by Friday. Then take it one game at a time - though a "rookie" with lacrosse, has seemed like it's not how you start but how you finish. And as long as no bad losses, you get some good wins towards the end and see what happens. Plus, it's great that now all teams make the conference tourney (what could have happened after that overtime win against #3 OSU in 2017 if we had the chance at a playoff game).
You play with the guys who suit up. Cameron is very missed. It will be great to have him back.

Used to watch almost every game, match, invitational, etc. I can. Hard to watch almost every team take a step back.

Indifference settling in and this week decided not to watch a single game the entire week. First time in a long time I’ve done that.

Michigan beat UMD. Maybe this is the year RU gets that 2nd win against UMD.

Wins against quality opponents.

Are you new to this?
Oh I know that. But we just lost, twice. Opportunity for “wins against quality opponents” isn’t an issue in this conference lol. The winning part is lol
So I have no idea why you’re harping about “opportunity.” It’s not like the conference has been a mid major

The lack of consistent recruiting has become obvious. You lose one guy and your offense struggles this much? Some of you were very critical of people who were concerned by the number of transfers being brought and that it was not sustainable. Well you are seeing now the struggle the staff is having in recruiting. They did not get an offensive player out of the portal so now they have to count on kids, Kulas is a nice shooter but can not carry, Aimone had a good start but is now also struggling. Sprock has not returned to his pre injury form. They have one consistent offensive threat right now. Where is the depth on offense? I know that Knobloch had a good day yesterday. But at what point do point out that BB has struggled to take advantage of the teams recent success on the recruiting trail and he has had way more misses than hits in recruiting.

Reactions: biazza38
The lack of consistent recruiting has become obvious. You lose one guy and your offense struggles this much? Some of you were very critical of people who were concerned by the number of transfers being brought and that it was not sustainable. Well you are seeing now the struggle the staff is having in recruiting. They did not get an offensive player out of the portal so now they have to count on kids, Kulas is a nice shooter but can not carry, Aimone had a good start but is now also struggling. Sprock has not returned to his pre injury form. They have one consistent offensive threat right now. Where is the depth on offense? I know that Knobloch had a good day yesterday. But at what point do point out that BB has struggled to take advantage of the teams recent success on the recruiting trail and he has had way more misses than hits in recruiting.
bingo. brecht hit on some vital pieces in the portal, namely the kirsts, and let's be honest, the program was gifted those two due to their lineage. but you take a look at upcoming recruiting classes for rutgers vs. the rest of the big ten and acc/ivy and you get the sense things are going to go back to how they were pre-portal with the knights at the bottom half of the conference. it looks like it could already be happening. the portal years will end up looking like the outlier and not necessarily the start of a new era.

also wanted to say i saw some ill-informed comments here about matt collison's recruitment. i went to college with his high school coach alex frescura at york and we still keep in touch, i see him at summer tournaments. collison did not really ever consider going to rutgers. hes happy at john's hopkins and the freshmen apparnetly love the offensive coordinator

i hope rutgers turns it around because i would rather they be a factor than ohio state. i dont know nick myers personally but i dont love what i hear about him or the culture in columbus. they have a lot a lot of issues

Next year is the last Covid year too so hopefully the transfer market normalizes a bit.

Last edited:
What about the defense. They give up a lot of points in the 1st qtr, causing the offense to make it all up. Then when you have a key offensive player out, it just makes it worse. Army was 4-2, Princeton 5-2, UMASS 3-2, OSU 4-2, and JHU was 7-5. They do adjust and know turnovers and transition offense off bad shots impact those stats, but is that a concern?

What about the defense. They give up a lot of points in the 1st qtr, causing the offense to make it all up. Then when you have a key offensive player out, it just makes it worse. Army was 4-2, Princeton 5-2, UMASS 3-2, OSU 4-2, and JHU was 7-5. They do adjust and know turnovers and transition offense off bad shots impact those stats, but is that a concern?
The slow starts have been a bit concerning.

Question for Cali, rbled or anyone closely following our recruiting. It's been said that Brecht will focus on the multisport athlete and as a result we are seeing a bigger stronger faster roster here. Unless film shows something different (it may), I am not noticing any athletic advantages in the 1v1s on gameday and if anything we seem to be losing more of them than we win. Other rosters are on scholarship too so I don't expect to see superior athletes against the Big Ten teams but it was said here that Hopkins isn't very athletic and I definitely saw an Army team that matched up with us athletically. We seem underwhelming in our own end and I said week 1 we miss JPP and we seem pedestrian in the middle of the field. Scott plays around the cage in a different gear but he seems to be the only one that flashes on screen. Thoughts on where we are?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT