ADVERTISEMENT

Hopkins Game Thread

Question for Cali, rbled or anyone closely following our recruiting. It's been said that Brecht will focus on the multisport athlete and as a result we are seeing a bigger stronger faster roster here. Unless film shows something different (it may), I am not noticing any athletic advantages in the 1v1s on gameday and if anything we seem to be losing more of them than we win. Other rosters are on scholarship too so I don't expect to see superior athletes against the Big Ten teams but it was said here that Hopkins isn't very athletic and I definitely saw an Army team that matched up with us athletically. We seem underwhelming in our own end and I said week 1 we miss JPP and we seem pedestrian in the middle of the field. Scott plays around the cage in a different gear but he seems to be the only one that flashes on screen. Thoughts on where we are?
on offense this rutgers team without cameron is small. not a ton of blazing speed either. better size on the defensive end and middle of the field but not difference-making compared to other big ten teams. hopkins has gotten bigger and faster since the petramala years

on offense this rutgers team without cameron is small. not a ton of blazing speed either. better size on the defensive end and middle of the field but not difference-making compared to other big ten teams. hopkins has gotten bigger and faster since the petramala years

Hopkins has gotten bigger but they are still small. That wasn't hard to do considering how small they were the last 5 years. And fairly slow. Degnon can run and Collison is a beast. Beyond that, on offense it's not much that is imposing. Melendez has decent size and can move reasonably well. Angelus is a shrimp. I have no idea why we were sliding to him. Bauer and whoever their other guys are aren't specimens by any means. They do have some decent size on defense. The best player on the field that day was Knobloch.

We were bigger and faster across the board but unfortunately we needed more than that. Getting number 11 back will make things look a lot different.

The biggest glaring issues to me are two fold. One is we haven't developed any production from the 2nd midfield. Our left handed attack spot has no one that can play that role. I was hoping Aimone, who is a beast himself, could play that role last week but it's clear he's officially a middie now.

On the plus side, seeing Justin Kim come out for 3 goals is very promising. He looked more comfortable than I have ever seen him.

I would put him on the second line with Logan Peters and Kurdyla. He needs experience for the future. That's 3 guys all 6'1, 6'3" and 6'4". From a physical perspective, that's plenty big enough and they can all move for their size.

Teresky just hasn't being doing much in that spot. I wonder what happened to the freshman Palmer. He was getting run early in the season. We need to switch it up though. It's just not enough production and those guys have had chances. When the second line came in the D was just sitting on Ross. Once Cameron comes back, they won't be able to do that.

No coincidence he's had his 3 worst games since starting without Cameron.

Michigan is going to be coming in with a lot of confidence and swagger after last week. We need to hit them in the face from the start.

They have have speed and size ad talent. It's going to be a very challenging game.

Reactions: Wagram97
Hopkins has gotten bigger but they are still small. That wasn't hard to do considering how small they were the last 5 years. And fairly slow. Degnon can run and Collison is a beast. Beyond that, on offense it's not much that is imposing. Melendez has decent size and can move reasonably well. Angelus is a shrimp. I have no idea why we were sliding to him. Bauer and whoever their other guys are aren't specimens by any means. They do have some decent size on defense. The best player on the field that day was Knobloch.

We were bigger and faster across the board but unfortunately we needed more than that. Getting number 11 back will make things look a lot different.

The biggest glaring issues to me are two fold. One is we haven't developed any production from the 2nd midfield. Our left handed attack spot has no one that can play that role. I was hoping Aimone, who is a beast himself, could play that role last week but it's clear he's officially a middie now.

On the plus side, seeing Justin Kim come out for 3 goals is very promising. He looked more comfortable than I have ever seen him.

I would put him on the second line with Logan Peters and Kurdyla. He needs experience for the future. That's 3 guys all 6'1, 6'3" and 6'4". From a physical perspective, that's plenty big enough and they can all move for their size.

Teresky just hasn't being doing much in that spot. I wonder what happened to the freshman Palmer. He was getting run early in the season. We need to switch it up though. It's just not enough production and those guys have had chances. When the second line came in the D was just sitting on Ross. Once Cameron comes back, they won't be able to do that.

No coincidence he's had his 3 worst games since starting without Cameron.

Michigan is going to be coming in with a lot of confidence and swagger after last week. We need to hit them in the face from the start.

They have have speed and size ad talent. It's going to be a very challenging game.
i just looked it up and this confirms what i saw watching the game. these were the 6 offensive starters for both teams:

kim 6'4'' 233
kulas - 6'2'' 184
aimone 6'1'' 197
sprock - 6'0'' 205
knobloch 5'9'' 200
scott - 5'9'' 176

collison 6'4'' 225
grimes 6'4'' 215
degnon 6'4'' 210
peshko 6'4'' 200
melendez 6'1'' 200
angelus 5'9'' 165

hopkins is considerably bigger on offense... not sure what teams you were watching. angelus and scott are similarly sized. one of them had 5 pts and the other had 1

granted the english kid (do they grow on trees?) is 140 lbs soaking yet but looked faster than anyone rutgers had. he provided a spark for jhu on the 2nd midfield whereas the knights got just about nothing from anyone outside knobloch and kim who seems to have found his shooting stroke

the facts dont line up with rutgers being bigger or faster than hopkins this season. scott v. smith didnt look very slow to me when he picked up a gb off the faceoff and ran by the entire rutgers defense to score. knights were moving in slow motion

i just looked it up and this confirms what i saw watching the game. these were the 6 offensive starters for both teams:

kim 6'4'' 233
kulas - 6'2'' 184
aimone 6'1'' 197
sprock - 6'0'' 205
knobloch 5'9'' 200
scott - 5'9'' 176

collison 6'4'' 225
grimes 6'4'' 215
degnon 6'4'' 210
peshko 6'4'' 200
melendez 6'1'' 200
angelus 5'9'' 165

hopkins is considerably bigger on offense... not sure what teams you were watching. angelus and scott are similarly sized. one of them had 5 pts and the other had 1

granted the english kid (do they grow on trees?) is 140 lbs soaking yet but looked faster than anyone rutgers had. he provided a spark for jhu on the 2nd midfield whereas the knights got just about nothing from anyone outside knobloch and kim who seems to have found his shooting stroke

the facts dont line up with rutgers being bigger or faster than hopkins this season. scott v. smith didnt look very slow to me when he picked up a gb off the faceoff and ran by the entire rutgers defense to score. knights were moving in slow motion
Wow! Even if Hopkins uses the standard size inflation rate, that is a big-ass offense...

kim 6'4'' 233
kulas - 6'2'' 184
aimone 6'1'' 197
sprock - 6'0'' 205
knobloch 5'9'' 200
scott - 5'9'' 176

collison 6'4'' 225
grimes 6'4'' 215
degnon 6'4'' 210
peshko 6'4'' 200
melendez 6'1'' 200
angelus 5'9'' 165

He ran by middies who had been on the field for at least one full shift.

No way is Angelus 5'9". Things get inflated but no way. He's a shrimp. I'm also including close and D mid guys. Don't forget we are missing Cameron who is a legit 6'3". Knobloch. He's a legit 5'9" if not taller. He's 200lbs. He's also quick, can run fast, and is very strong of his size.

I don't believe Grimes started and he has size but he's slow af. A lumbering oaf. Even if he did score a goal. Degnon and Collison, especially Collison, are beasts. I already acknowledged that.

I still contend we are faster and bigger across the board. I hope we see them again and not at the end of a 3 away game clip. That's a tough stretch no matter who you are playing.

Let's see how we look at home come Friday. Michigan presents challenges.

Reactions: Wagram97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT