ADVERTISEMENT

How's the team looking thru the first couple of games?

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
for those that have seen them play..how's it looking? New Chemistry? New Players?
Good start but what's the eye test say....Thanks for any thoughts here..

for those that have seen them play..how's it looking? New Chemistry? New Players?
Good start but what's the eye test say....Thanks for any thoughts here..
Watched JMU game streaming and attended the Temple game live.

Knight and Day from last year. They run; they shoot 3s; they rebound. CVS has played all 14 eligible players in both games and given meaningful minutes to most.

Tyler was off against Temple 2-12 to start) and we still took a 20 point lead. We have resurrected The press on defense and have the personnel to run it. Come out on Sunday and see for yourself.

Knight and Day from last year. They run; they shoot 3s; they rebound. CVS has played all 14 eligible players in both games and given meaningful minutes to most.

Tyler was off against Temple 2-12 to start) and we still took a 20 point lead. We have resurrected The press on defense and have the personnel to run it. Come out on Sunday and see for yourself.
good to hear. I gathered some of that from reading the recaps and stats...and following on the Rutgers gameday app. I'll be excited to catch a game or two...

Our notoriously anemic offense is averaging 79 ppg over the first 3 games.
I was just going to say that but didn't want to jinx the streak.
Also, all 14 players played tonight. Tyler had the most minutes with 27. We had 20 steals. The BIGGEST weak spot is our 3 point shooting, we were 2 for17.

Reactions: dmd78
I admit that I haven't followed the team very closely over the last couple of years. This was made very clear to me after I got the poster and didn't recognize most of the team.

I went back through the roster posted on sk.com and it looks like a ton of this year's roster didn't play last year, either coming in new this year or coming off a transfer or injury year.

Is this a complete list?
Scaife - Injured last year
Hill - Injured most of last year
Greene - Grad transfer (Miami)
Cryor - Sit out transfer (GTech)
Fitzpatrick - Sit out transfer (St. Joe's)
Carey - Sit out transfer (Pitt)
Jenkins - JUCO (after leaving Southern Miss the year prior)
Gilles - New freshman
Mack - New freshman

That's 9 of 14 players who account for 393 of 600 total minutes played (66%)... and none of them played last year. There's also Guirantes as the 15th roster spot who is sitting out this year per transfer rules. This is truly a brand new team.

It looks like the chemistry is good in the early going - excited to see how this year progresses.

Edit: To add Hill into the list/minutes played.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
I admit that I haven't followed the team very closely over the last couple of years. This was made very clear to me after I got the poster and didn't recognize most of the team.

I went back through the roster posted on sk.com and it looks like a ton of this year's roster didn't play last year, either coming in new this year or coming off a transfer or injury year.

Is this a complete list?
Scaife - Injured last year
Greene - Grad transfer (Miami)
Cryor - Sit out transfer (GTech)
Fitzpatrick - Sit out transfer (St. Joe's)
Carey - Sit out transfer (Pitt)
Jenkins - JUCO (after leaving Southern Miss the year prior)
Gilles - New freshman
Mack - New freshman

That's 8 of 14 players who account for 356 of 600 total minutes played (59%)... and none of them played last year. There's also Guirantes as the 15th roster spot who is sitting out this year per transfer rules. This is truly a brand new team.

It looks like the chemistry is good in the early going - excited to see how this year progresses.
Add Kate Hill to that group. She played some minutes very early and then was out all year with a foot injury. She was given a medical redshirt and will have 4 years remaining.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Add Kate Hill to that group. She played some minutes very early and then was out all year with a foot injury. She was given a medical redshirt and will have 4 years remaining.

Edited the prior post - thanks.

Crazy to think that 9 of the 14 players on the team weren't on the court last year, and 2 of the other 5 were true freshmen.

Reactions: ScarletteK80

Now THAT is what I like to hear! Off to a very nice start let's see if we can keep pace with the National Champs that would be nice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT