ADVERTISEMENT

I dont buy the narrative that schools better than RU want Pike and that’s why Hobbs keeps extending him

To clarify what I think your thoughts are, if the scenario above were to take place, you think Pike should be fired?

What if he had a lottery pick each year and 2-3 other NBA first-rounders? What if the games were all sold out and alumni giving and student applications were at an all time highs each year?

In reality, it’s actually hard to nail down what position he holds. He’s an emotional reactionary. He jumped on Pike when the team struggled last year (he’ll be gone in two years), then he was “Pike-Stan” on Twitter when the team was hot… now he’s back on the Pike is average, will never get us there.

All I know is that before Pike, I really didn’t care much about RU bball, it was just waiting for the next embarrassment.

Now I’m a season ticket holder who travels to tournaments and gathers the family to watch selection Sunday. There are a lot of folks like me - as evidenced by the fact that the RAC is sold out and we’re competitive in NIL and recruiting.

If we only won 1 tourney game in the next 3 years with the players we have coming in then a large majority of people will be unhappy with Pike at that point. Year 11 would be a very hot seat.

And then we’d be like - we’ve had a bball coach for 11 years??? Only 1 coach and not 3-4???

Frankly that if he stays stuck in neutral weve made it impossible to move on from him.

Lets give a situation as im curious to hear your response. Lets say in March 2026 were sitting here and in the past 3 years (2024, 2025, 2026) weve missed the tourney in 2024, made it in 2025 and 2026 and won 1 total tourney game 2025 and 2026. Pike wouldve finished year 10 and remained in neutral. Are you okay with that?

I know most here are. Most are fine with a program who sneaks into the tourney and does nothing more and are satisfied we have a nice guy as a coach. I get it. Just curious your thoughts
Sitting here today, I say he has a ten year leash. I think he's earned that. Yes, I know that is arguable, but if baseball teams can sign 12 year contracts for exceptional talent, I see an investment in Pike as the same risk/reward and it sends the right message to recruits also. And your phrasing is all wrong to begin with. In order to "stay" stuck in neutral, it requires you to be already be stuck in neutral which we are not considering the talent pipeline coming here.

To clarify what I think your thoughts are, if the scenario above were to take place, you think Pike should be fired?

What if he had a lottery pick each year and 2-3 other NBA first-rounders? What if the games were all sold out and alumni giving and student applications were at an all time highs each year?
If he had a lottery pick and 2-3 other 1st rounders and still could only win 1 ncaa tourney game i think thats be an even bigger indictment.

And yes, personally if hes 10 years in and in years 5-10 hes won two total ncaa tourney games I think its fair at that time to consider if we could do better than that.

But can you answer my question. Would you be satisfied with the following

Lets give a situation as im curious to hear your response. Lets say in March 2026 were sitting here and in the past 3 years (2024, 2025, 2026) weve missed the tourney in 2024, made it in 2025 and 2026 and won 1 total tourney game 2025 and 2026. Pike wouldve finished year 10 and remained in neutral. Are you okay with that?

All of this. I want to be proud of the program on and OFF the court. And I couldn’t be prouder of what Pike is building.

A friend who went to Nova and I were talking and he said bb is so different from football because you get to know the players and there’s no helmet to hide behind, everyone recognizes them when they’re out and they have less margin for error. Pike has really brought in guys who are a credit to the university. Doing it the right way matters to us folks who love our alma mater.
I dont think theres anything wrong with your mindset and i think its one most share actually. Im a win at all costs guy, most here arent. Most here are okay with a nice guy as coach who makes us average

In reality, it’s actually hard to nail down what position he holds. He’s an emotional reactionary. He jumped on Pike when the team struggled last year (he’ll be gone in two years), then he was “Pike-Stan” on Twitter when the team was hot… now he’s back on the Pike is average, will never get us there.

All I know is that before Pike, I really didn’t care much about RU bball, it was just waiting for the next embarrassment.

Now I’m a season ticket holder who travels to tournaments and gathers the family to watch selection Sunday. There are a lot of folks like me - as evidenced by the fact that the RAC is sold out and we’re competitive in NIL and recruiting.
Pikeistan was a joke between friends in my group chat who love pike. They post here too. And told them id change my twitter handle to pikeistan if we got to a certain record.

Anyway, who are you on twitter since u apparently follow me haha

It took 3-4 years for Pike to pull us up from the dregs of basketball to where we were at least decent. I'd give him more time let's say another 6 years to make a deep run in the tournament.

It took 3-4 years for Pike to pull us up from the dregs of basketball to where we were at least decent. I'd give him more time let's say another 6 years to make a deep run in the tournament.
He def has another 6 years due to his contract. Tbh he has a lifetime contract as long as hobbs is here. Hobbs would never let him go.

My concern is just we are totally handcuffed regardless of how good or bad pike is. Pike could keep us on the bubble and average for eternity and would never be let go if hobbs is here

Who is going to come to coach at Rutgers if Pikiell got fired?
$4M a year and if you don't get to the Sweet 16, you're fired.
Seems like a great deal right? What proven coach who has gotten consistently deep into the NCAA tournament is taking that job?

Seems like a great deal right? What proven coach who has gotten consistently deep into the NCAA tournament is taking that job?
Ridiculous

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I dont think theres anything wrong with your mindset and i think its one most share actually. Im a win at all costs guy, most here arent. Most here are okay with a nice guy as coach who makes us average

No one thinks we’re going to be average - and it seems like you’ve created a straw man in your head to argue against. No one wants average. We all want to put banner after banner in the rafters.

Look at what’s coming in 23 and 24. Pike has given no indication that this program has plateaued. And because he has created such a great culture, we’ve got former players who are very engaged and stewarding this program even higher.

I'll keep it local with NJ/NY ties over the past few years

1) I think what Nate Oats (NY at buffalo) did at bama is FAR more impressive than what pike did here. Taking a program that won 1 tourney game since 2006 to being a perennial national title contender. It's harder to go from bubble team to natty contender than it is to go from very bad program to bubbble team as pike did

2) I think what Kevin Willard did at Seton Hall is at bare minimum equally as impressive. With less resources and a nearly impossible job he turn SHU into a perennial big east title contender

3) Sha Holloway at St Peters. Talk about no resources. That is an IMPOSSIBLE job. What he did there was tremendous

It's very nice that pike got us to be respectable. I do question if he can take us to the second weekend ever though unless he changes how he coaches offensive basketball.
Please stop.

1. You cant even compare the programs. Oats took over a program that went to 10 national tournaments since our last appearance. Avery Johnson went two years prior to Oats showing up on campus. They have had 4 losing seasons since 1970. Oats in 3 years missed the NCAA tournament, lost in second round, lost in first round. This year they have a great team being led by a guy who should be in jail for being an accomplice in killing a young mother and a guy who is in jail for the murder. There is shortcuts and then there is shortcuts. In addition, we all know how the SEC works.

2. Kevin Willard was finally successful in the biggest when everyone left. Even seton hall has more success than Rutgers.

3. Holloway is good. He is exactly where he should be. Seton Hall. Finished right in the middle of an average conference. He had a great run at St. Peter's one year. Based on that one year you take him over pikiell? Dont be absurd.

Every coach in the NCAA ha a step back year before takign the program to the next level. This was pikiel's step back year.

Now that paying people is legal. Pikiell will have no problem getting top tier talent. Which we are already seeing.

Jesus Christ this thread is bonkers.
Did we really just compare Nate Oats “build” at Bama to Pike’s at Rutgers?
Bama is playing a kid who was involved in the murder of someone. Yes, I know he wasn’t charged, but it was his gun.
I hope we’re never Bama

we're not in po$ition to land top 10 player$ because of his coaching prowe$$, that'$ all I'll $ay. And I'm not mad about it either haha
This is why NIL evens the playing field for programs like ours and quite frankly guys like pikiell. Pikiell will not cheat. Now that players can legally be payed, now you have to be a good recruiter.

Guys didnt go to duke because of coach K's personality or because Kentucky has a beautiful campus.

We are not average. We have been one of the top 40 programs over the past 40 years. There are 351 D1 college programs. We have been much better than average.

He def has another 6 years due to his contract. Tbh he has a lifetime contract as long as hobbs is here. Hobbs would never let him go.

My concern is just we are totally handcuffed regardless of how good or bad pike is. Pike could keep us on the bubble and average for eternity and would never be let go if hobbs is here
I doubt we remain on the bubble with 2 five star (so far) and a four star player coming in the next two years. Our three star players coming in look pretty good as well.

This is why NIL evens the playing field for programs like ours and quite frankly guys like pikiell. Pikiell will not cheat. Now that players can legally be payed, now you have to be a good recruiter.

Guys didnt go to duke because of coach K's personality or because Kentucky has a beautiful campus.

I don’t see how any parent could watch the press conferences at the end of the last two years and not go “I want my son to play for that man”. Particularly with the quality of mentorship they’re gonna get from the players who keep coming back and stay engaged.

Now that the results are here and he’s proving he can win, I’m thinking he’s going to be recruiting lights out for a while.

First, we’re not even close to being mediocre right now. We just went 1-8 in the conference and could barely hang with the mediocre teams. We barely beat Temple.

A new practice facility isn’t stopping us from competing with the likes of Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska etc. Forget about PSU, Mich, and OSU…we may never compete consistently with them.

A new practice facility has nothing to do with the handling of the QB room, transfer portal, bad personnel decisions or poor coaching hires.

We don’t need 4 and 5 star recruits to be a mediocre program. We don’t need a $100 million practice facility to be a mediocre program. If that’s what Schiano needs to bring us to mediocrity then we don’t have the right coach.

And I’ve been to over 15 away games…I have a good idea of what facilities look like across a number of programs.

The only reason we’re less than mediocre now, is because the neglect that took place from 2012 to 2020. You don’t undo 9 years of neglect in 3 years. Without the facility we can ultimately be mediocre but nothing more. So yes, we can be mediocre within roughly 3 years.

But We aspire to greatness and that’s why we need a new practice facility. I just visited Miami’s new facilities and I was blown away with how nice they are. We want to be able to compete for more of the best players in America, similar to what basketball is able to do. The new basketball practice facility definitely helped boost their results.

The football fieldhouse is currently being designed, and they are working to manage the scope and cost, per Hobbs on Richie’s podcast. It is going to happen.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I don’t see how any parent could watch the press conferences at the end of the last two years and not go “I want my son to play for that man”. Particularly with the quality of mentorship they’re gonna get from the players who keep coming back and stay engaged.

Now that the results are here and he’s proving he can win, I’m thinking he’s going to be recruiting lights out for a while.
well said.....what gets lost by some is that the purpose of college is to learn and grow as a person and fullfill your potential whether you're a scholarship athlete or just another student.

1 and dones, 2 and dones don't always help win that many games.
I agree again haha. The issue is alot of people here dont realize that, especially the casual cbb watcher and theyre gonna have such huge unrealistic expectations that itll be interesting to see reactions if it doesnt result in a 2nd weekend

• Love
Doesnt have to be poaching a guy from a blue blood. Just a guy who has shown great success at even a mid major and coaches and exciting brand of bball that stresses putting the ball in the hoop

Jesus Christ this thread is bonkers.
Did we really just compare Nate Oats “build” at Bama to Pike’s at Rutgers?
Bama is playing a kid who was involved in the murder of someone. Yes, I know he wasn’t charged, but it was his gun.
I hope we’re never Bama
Nate oates build is different but much more impressive. He took a program from average to great. Weve gone from very bad to average. Average to great is a lot harder imo

Disagree on the coach K point. Guys went there because of his track record of getting guys to the nba. They went to kentucky for $$$

We are not average. We have been one of the top 40 programs over the past 40 years. There are 351 D1 college programs. We have been much better than average.
We are a very very very average program. Its all relative to your conference. Are we good compared to like NEC teams? Sure, we’re great. Amongst our peers, were very very very average. Silly to point to 351 programs

well said.....what gets lost by some is that the purpose of college is to learn and grow as a person and fullfill your potential whether you're a scholarship athlete or just another student.
As I said, i think thats a fair position that most hold. Just wanted to kinda confirm where people stand. Im the exception amongst the RU fan base being a win at all costs guys. 90%+ of the people here are okay with just be very average as long as we have a nice guy as coach who they admire and respect. I have more of a southern mindset

Reactions: RUDivision
Kyk loves the people are ok with nice guy who sneaks into the tournament every year straw man argument

No one is expecting that but you

I actually don’t find kyks football posts to be that bad.

The thing is, he’s not very crucial or as outspoken about our struggles in Football. For some reason, Schiano seems to get off easy.

Meanwhile he’s extremely critical of Pikiell and is very outspoken when we lose.

I bet if Pikiell played Jacob Young 40 mins a game kyk would have loved him haha.
Kyk would suck Schiano's dick on live TV if he could.

We are a very very very average program. Its all relative to your conference. Are we good compared to like NEC teams? Sure, we’re great. Amongst our peers, were very very very average. Silly to point to 351 programs
If by average you mean that the second through ninth teams who all finished between 12-8 and 10-10 are all average, then I guess we are all average. And even the team at the top was the conference was right were we were in the middle until Painter got a super talented player in Ivey and Edey turned into a monster.

Last edited:
Doesnt have to be poaching a guy from a blue blood. Just a guy who has shown great success at even a mid major and coaches and exciting brand of bball that stresses putting the ball in the hoop
you're minimizing how difficult it is to win at Rutgers. the lack of support and outsized expectations make it difficult. It takes a special kind of coach to be able to win here. Pikiell is perfect for what we need, because he's done an outstanding job developing kids. He's built the program successfully, and we are now competing for top tier recruits. We are where we need to be, and I hope he is here a long, long time.

Seems like most of the fans have fallen into a common trap, they've convinced themselves that pike and some players are bigger than the program and cheer for the individuals more than the program itself.

Some people, like kyk, don't really care who the coach is or if a 5 star transfer comes in and takes minutes away from a 4 year program player we just want to win games.

Looking forward, in and odd twist pike's train wreck recruiting the last 3 years may be a huge asset the next couple years, no mediocre upperclassmen "leaders" to start over young top level recruits like Griffiths Bailey Harper etc. Can bring in transfers and upgrade positions of ignoring certain positions that were previously off limits.

Kyk loves the people are ok with nice guy who sneaks into the tournament every year straw man argument

No one is expecting that but you
If its not the truth than answer me this.

Would you be satisfied with the following

Frankly that if he stays stuck in neutral weve made it impossible to move on from him.

I know most here are. Most are fine with a program who sneaks into the tourney and does nothing more and are satisfied we have a nice guy as a coach. I get it. Just curious your thoughts
I don’t think people would be satisfied with this given the players were bringing in this year and next?

Nate oates build is different but much more impressive. He took a program from average to great. Weve gone from very bad to average. Average to great is a lot harder imo
You are vastly underestimating the build that was needed to get where we are.
Does Pike leave a lot to be desired? Yes, but downplaying this build is truly what of the dumbest things you’ve said here.
Nate Oats is also a jackass
Honestly complaining about where the program is a year after we lost our 2 leading scorers is hilarious. Of course we took a step back this year

You are vastly underestimating the build that was needed to get where we are.
Does Pike leave a lot to be desired? Yes, but downplaying this build is truly what of the dumbest things you’ve said here.
Nate Oats is also a jackass
Honestly complaining about where the program is a year after we lost our 2 leading scorers is hilarious. Of course we took a step back this year
Im not complaining regarding where were at. I thought wed take a step back this year and we did.

What in complaining about is weve basically written the guy a blank check and continue to extend this blank check every year. I think its fair to criticize how extension happy hobbs is

What seeds?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT