ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Rutgers layoff just announced

But not in a paper unless you’re quoting someone.

If the whole thing was written that way I would hope the professor grading it ran out of red ink.

The standard is just that, the standard.

The player doesn’t decide when it’s a first down. The referee (the instructor) and the rules of the game (the “standard”) do.
Well, you have to remember that in the English department they do teach folks to write for public consumption. Like how to write novels and stuff. But yes, other than that, you are absolutely right.

Reactions: fsg2
Eh.

The whole thing? Maybe “Beowulf” but that’s about the only thing I can think of for something like this.

Have you not heard of Creative Writing?

You probably read articles and other material every day that break "the standard."

But you shouldn't be teaching that.. because most of the time that sort of thing fails miserably. Tech the core stuff and let the "market" decide what works for those who care to experiment and invent.

Teach, no. Encourage and reward (when done well), yes.

Btw, this is an “adult” thread I’d like to see more of on here.

It’s very similar to what the OLD Currents Event Board was like. Where you learn something.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
With the latest on the return of ebonics, why even have the department?

the new version of ebonics is OK but you better not say "he" or you lose points for your micro-agression

ADVERTISEMENT