ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Rutgers layoff just announced

And this is why they had that lawsuit news.. they knew this (and more) was coming... wanted to muddy the waters and blame athletics

Last edited:
You would think that, but the article quotes RU as saying patient volume and demand for services have significantly declined. Seems counterintuitive.
Correct, you would think, but, mental health clients are very uneasy to get behavioral health care tx in the best of times. Especially those with chronic diagnoses. So now they are really paranoid, and unsure of what to do. This will be a big issue because people that have anxiety, and depressive disorders to begin with are really having a hard time, and probably not taking their meds as needed,

"Rutgers says they are eliminating 62 University Behavioral Health Care employees due to an anticipated $260 million shortfall caused by COVID-19."

That's ok. Most of these people dont actually know what they are doing, and actually make people worse. Best kept secret of the last 50 years is that mental health "experts" don t really make anybody better. Everybody plays along though. The more experts there are the worse everybody gets. This is readily observable. No way 1 in 6 people should be on meds. Its a cop-out hiding a failure. Did they save vets? No.

"Rutgers says they are eliminating 62 University Behavioral Health Care employees due to an anticipated $260 million shortfall caused by COVID-19."

That's ok. Most of these people dont actually know what they are doing, and actually make people worse. Best kept secret of the last 50 years is that mental health "experts" don t really make anybody better. Everybody plays along though. The more experts there are the worse everybody gets. This is readily observable. No way 1 in 6 people should be on meds. Its a cop-out hiding a failure. Did they save vets? No.

True. The more behavioral counselors we have the more conditions there will be to treat in patients.

Most of them are getting paid for wasting time.

The OP title is wrong, it’s not huge. This is just the beginning of the layoffs since it’s one department.

The layoffs for the local and state government haven’t even begun.
And those are coming because ...well, people in government don’t care about budgets...never have and most likely never will... just borrow another 20-25 billion and we’ll be fine... add it to another stimulus bill.

Reactions: goru1869
The article is actually pretty informative.

Skillet

I've never been one to support the elimination of mental health or health care any kind : hell we're facing a pandemic that has cost over 145,000 lives in the US alone and we haven't hit the first plateau with the 2nd wave looming.

I'm wondering if a "10%" reduction across the board in all phases of the University would be a better approach and one in the long run that would maintain the integrity of the University without penalizing one element of it to do so. Maintenance of buildings that aren't being used for dorms, classrooms etc. might also be a an area for furloughs?

MO

Skillet

I've never been one to support the elimination of mental health or health care any kind : hell we're facing a pandemic that has cost over 145,000 lives in the US alone and we haven't hit the first plateau with the 2nd wave looming.

I'm wondering if a "10%" reduction across the board in all phases of the University would be a better approach and one in the long run that would maintain the integrity of the University without penalizing one element of it to do so. Maintenance of buildings that aren't being used for dorms, classrooms etc. might also be a an area for furloughs?

MO
It would only be a bandaid fix a temporary pause in the inevitable. To say we didn’t know or it is all because of the current pandemic ? NO , this was expected at the state levels and I’m certain to our Rutgers administrators as well. I don’t like anyone losing a good job or for that matter any job in these times. The Rutgers teachers union didn’t seem overly concerned before except to file a law suit to stop money going to Rutgers athletics . May we suggest the following , since we are funded by taxpayer $$$$ Rutgers should gladly open any unoccupied or currently unused buildings and facilities to the homeless and mentally ill populations from high crime areas of the state. The campus setting is conducive to recovery, health care issues and proper nutrition which can be directed on the campus. Children could be educated and enjoy an atmosphere geared toward learning . Children’s day and after school care could be administered here as well . Tutoring by Rutgers students would earn them credit in the form of a stipend and used toward tuition , board , semester fees or loan debt.The greatest benefit however would be a much safer environment .Certainly one much different than what children in Trenton , Camden, Jersey City or Paterson now face daily. A safe and educational space geared to equalize what is inherently wrong in our big cities.

Last edited:
It would only be a bandaid fix a temporary pause in the inevitable. To say we didn’t know or it is all because of the current pandemic ? NO , this was expected at the state levels and I’m certain to our Rutgers administrators as well. I don’t like anyone losing a good job or for that matter any job in these times. The Rutgers teachers union didn’t seem overly concerned before except to file a law suit to stop money going to Rutgers athletics . May we suggest the following , since we are funded by taxpayer $$$$ Rutgers should gladly open any unoccupied or currently unused buildings and facilities to the homeless and mentally ill populations from high crime areas of the state. The campus setting is conducive to recovery, health care issues and proper nutrition which can be directed on the campus. Children could be educated and enjoy an atmosphere geared toward learning . Children’s day and after school care could be administered here as well . Tutoring by Rutgers students would earn them credit in the form of a stipend and used toward tuition , board , semester fees or loan debt.The greatest benefit however would be a much safer environment .Certainly one much different than what children in Trenton , Camden, Jersey City or Paterson now face daily. A safe and educational space geared to equalize what is inherently wrong in our big cities.

If that was possible during the current pandemic why not have a regular fall semester?

Listen, we all understand there is risk and concerns but instead of beating each side up perhaps just maybe , we could act as if we really cared about people. The proof we don’t give a shat is clear each day. We all talk about what we hear, read, see but the reality is we all are hypocrites. As long is it doesn’t directly impact me or my family and friends screw them. Here’s a question for the board. If violence entered into your neighborhood and caused damage , violence , death or destruction of your personal property how would you react? Would you stand your ground, fight back and would you perhaps have a different opinion to what we see ( and it’s real) . If a family member was injured , maimed or killed during such an episode does it change your thought or your position.? Most Rutger’s folks I know live in nice towns, cities and decent areas so does distance change the narrative ?

Here in my state, the UNC system schools are preparing for a 50% budget reduction for this academic year.

The OP title is wrong, it’s not huge. This is just the beginning of the layoffs since it’s one department.

The layoffs for the local and state government haven’t even begun.

Most folks grossly confuse the stock market performance with the economy's health. That's a huge mistake. We're in for a rough patch that could last for more than one year. The public sector's job loss will be severe.

Reactions: JRZEER
any Liberal Arts will do.

You know, friend, that term "liberal arts" is traced back to ancient Rome where "free thinking" courses were off limits to the commoner. The government mandated studying engineering and science. They did not want to create an environment wherein students were trained to think freely and challenge the status quo, the government. In a free society, you promote free thinking and the ability to develop critical thinking, of all ideas and practices.

Most folks grossly confuse the stock market performance with the economy's health. That's a huge mistake. We're in for a rough patch that could last for more than one year. The public sector's job loss will be severe.
Most of these people don’t want to hear this but the drastic reduction of international students will kill the budget severely. The revenue from international students is much greater than the state allocation to Rutgers. Rutgers will have to cut 20-25% in expenses or significant tuition increase if the federal government doesn’t contribute.

A real recession is coming but the stimulus has postponed the pain for a couple of months.

You know, friend, that term "liberal arts" is traced back to ancient Rome where "free thinking" courses were off limits to the commoner. The government mandated studying engineering and science. They did not want to create an environment wherein students were trained to think freely and challenge the status quo, the government. In a free society, you promote free thinking and the ability to develop critical thinking, of all ideas and practices.

... except conservative viewpoints.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I haven't been on the campus in 20 years. In what departments of the university would you say conservative viewpoints are being taught and promoted? Economics, maybe?

If certain things happen in November we can guarantee there will be a definite downward turn .For much longer than a year.

Reactions: rurx1228 and JRZEER
Skillet

MO
I think what has happened here is that COVID has caused a large drop in demand for mental health services that the University provides. I think they are laying off folks who basically don't have anything to do right now. My guess is that once the University figures out what is happening in the fall, you will see a bunch more folks laid off. I would hope that when the University is back to normal operations, you will see these people return.

10% across the board has an appeal, but COVID doesn't affect all units in the University equally. Down here I've got faculty who are going to a combined delivery approach which means they will be in person for the vast majority of students, but online for international kids and ones who cannot get to the University. Their workload will increase significantly.

Tough situation all the way around and no easy answers.

Actually, they should have started with the Economics Department, especially that professor who doesn't realize that you have to invest first in order to make money (what's his name - WorthKilling, or something like that?).

LOL doubt it.

RU will cut until the only ones left standing are the social justice professors and killingsworth.

I read once that universities in the south of Europe the students ran the show.. controlled everything.. it was opposite in the north.. but keep in mind that anyone at a university was pretty much from a powerful family. The students that became teachers tended to be on the weak side in terms of power.

10% across the board has an appeal, but COVID doesn't affect all units in the University equally. Down here I've got faculty who are going to a combined delivery approach which means they will be in person for the vast majority of students, but online for international kids and ones who cannot get to the University. Their workload will increase significantly.

Tough situation all the way around and no easy answers.
My older boy (who is a civil engineering major) had a professor for differential equations from Vietnam who he said was great in person, even with a little bit of a language problem. But when they transitioned to completely online something was lost in the translation...wasn't as good. It turns out the professor was also involved with some COVID-19 research while still teaching and actually came up with some designs for safety equipment which were implemented.

Son still made the Dean's List so all good. :)

My wife is a physics teacher and had to prepare for multi level presentations of the material (AP, Honors and 2 CPA level) when they went completely online in this past Spring. I explain to friends it was like watching her perform in Vegas as she did four "shows" a day. LOL

Next year she might have some in class and some at home. Which depends on how her HS school ends up operating.

So yeah, educators will probably have a lot more on their plate come Fall.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
And this at a large state university. Wonder what’s happening at small private liberal arts schools? Shake out in higher ed coming?

Reactions: JRZEER
And this at a large state university. Wonder what’s happening at small private liberal arts schools? Shake out in higher ed coming?
This might come under the heading of "never let a crisis go to waste." Most US universities have labor agreements and tenure traditions that make it very hard to get rid of faculty unless there is an economic emergency. COVID provides that. But the universities will have to be nimble and nobody has ever characterized a university as being nimble. I say that they have to move quickly because when economic tough times arrive, people go back to school. Thus, in two years, the problems of losing money due to no students will be over.

In terms of cuts, first cuts will come from the programs most recently added to the University -- support programs, extras, etc. Faculty will not be cut quickly or selectively. You might see a couple small, entire departments or programs within departments, go. They will be ones with bad student enrollments. Unfortunately, the labor agreement and tenure provisions will make it hard to get rid of unproductive faculty who are tenured.

Don't believe there is a "social justice" department at Rutgers. The English department historically has had a good reputation, along with the history department. The liberal arts will survive because they are relatively popular, and necessary to a cultured civilization. Which is good.

This might come under the heading of "never let a crisis go to waste." Most US universities have labor agreements and tenure traditions that make it very hard to get rid of faculty unless there is an economic emergency. COVID provides that. But the universities will have to be nimble and nobody has ever characterized a university as being nimble. I say that they have to move quickly because when economic tough times arrive, people go back to school. Thus, in two years, the problems of losing money due to no students will be over.

In terms of cuts, first cuts will come from the programs most recently added to the University -- support programs, extras, etc. Faculty will not be cut quickly or selectively. You might see a couple small, entire departments or programs within departments, go. They will be ones with bad student enrollments. Unfortunately, the labor agreement and tenure provisions will make it hard to get rid of unproductive faculty who are tenured.

Don't believe there is a "social justice" department at Rutgers. The English department historically has had a good reputation, along with the history department. The liberal arts will survive because they are relatively popular, and necessary to a cultured civilization. Which is good.
Liberal arts and those low-value majors should be cut first. Start with all majors that end in the word "studies".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT