ADVERTISEMENT

Huge surprise portal news today?

There were a few people who though Paul was going portaling not just Twitter man.

It would help people deal with stuff going forward that not everything that someone chooses to report is actionable news or newsworthy.

Weekend at coach Pikiells
Bom Dia Hello GIF

Honestly - this thread should be shut down unless someone has a legit answer to my question (about whether we’ll still be “eligible”for this type of “surprise” following the trip abroad). This is the only outstanding matter.

If Hyatt, Williams or any other grad transfer travels with the team and plays in a game overseas in a few weeks, does that mean they have relinquished their exemption to the sit out rule regarding eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Honestly - this thread should be shut down unless someone has a legit answer to my question (about whether we’ll still be “eligible”for this type of “surprise” following the trip abroad). This is the only outstanding matter.

If Hyatt, Williams or any other grad transfer travels with the team and plays in a game overseas in a few weeks, does that mean they have relinquished their exemption to the sit out rule regarding eligibility.
No. Grad transfers can leave at any time. There is no sit out rule for graduates with eligibility. Overseas games are exhibitions and don’t impact eligibility.

The unofficial deadline is that every eligible player for this coming season has to be enrolled for the fall semester. So a hypothetical of a player entering the portal after an overseas trip is technically possible. However, It would give them an extremely tight timeframe to find a new program in time to be enrolled and thus eligible for the start of this coming season.

To be clear, I don’t think that will happen with Rutgers but I wouldn’t be shocked if it happens somewhere.

I’m guessing this may have referred to Palmquist entering the transfer portal again and possibly wanting to come back?

Why? We have 3 schollies. We don’t need to give one to someone on the scout team. Palm can shoot. He’s an asset for the first team to work on perimeter D in the least. There’s no reason not tp add him back to the roster if he wants to return.
Because we probably nicely encouraged him to leave and the coaches failed in improving his roster spot. Kind of a coaching failure here. If this is really what we’re left with, I agree. Just disappointing.

Last edited:
Because we probably nicely encouraged him to leave and the coaches failed in improving his roster spot. Kind of a coaching failure here. If this is really what we’re left with, I agree. Just disappointing.
In fairness, we had a verbal commitment from Ndongo at the time Oskar was probably encouraged to leave. Ndongo would have gotten a TON of playing time at the 4 this year. Still disappointed he decided to decommit.

It was not really like that. We were never going to fill every scholarship slot with players better than Oskar. I doubt Pike pushed Oskar to leave. Rather, Oskar was thinking he wanted more than a role player role his last season. If he returns there will be situations where he plays and he certainly has value as a practice player compared to others we would get to fill the last slot.

In fairness, we had a verbal commitment from Ndongo at the time Oskar was probably encouraged to leave. Ndongo would have gotten a TON of playing time at the 4 this year. Still disappointed he decided to decommit.
Yes. For all we know, once this happened Oskar started thinking about returning. Maybe he never really wanted to leave so long as he’d have a fighting chance to contribute.

Things were just not working out with Elon, kind of like Mike in Swingers when he breaks up with that girl on her answering machine

• Haha
Reactions: RuSnp and Mr Magoo
Palmquist is a locker room guy and honestly not bad as a spot up shooter. We just haven't had a guard who could penetrate and kick.
I think there was a lot of effort to "penetrate" and dish inside for the jam. Of course, the penetration was.. not optimal.. and defenses were routinely allowed to attempt a tackle Cliff to prevent his roll to the rim... leaving Mulcahy and others stuck down in the trees.

Would be great to have a true penetrator and a spot-up shooter or three. Hopefully we see that this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT