ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt elbow to the face

Rhuarc

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I was busy yesterday so I was tuning in and out to the game but I got to see the Hyatt elbow to the face. Did they ever explain that officially? Was it a non-call? Was curious.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It was ruled incidental contact. You know, clearly less contact than Omoruyi's third foul.
I was pissed at that Cliff 3rd foul too. It may be incidental but it's still a foul when you clock someone and knock them on their a$$. I wasn't in love with the refs yesterday. That palming call on Paul at the end of the first half was ridiculous. You can call that on him literally every play, along with 90 percent of the point guards in the league. Underwood earned that one for his team from his whining.

Flagrant 1 pretty much by the letter of the law. But not for RU. We lead the country in our faces fouling other teams elbows. Surprised it wasn’t called a foul on Hyatt

I thought for sure they were going to call that on Hyatt, but the reply clearly showed he was outside the "cylinder" as at happened. Easily should have been called an offensive foul in real time, and should have been a flagrant on review.

Incredible no flagrant. I wonder if the refs have a vocabulary issue. One could argue it was not intentional but it was certainly way more than incidental. Hyatt's face is fairly stationary and the guy leans in, swings his elbow, whacks Hyatt in the jaw forcing him to fall over. WTF If properly called would that have been two shots and the ball? Forget how close the game was at that time, could have been a spark.

Here's the rule:

Flagrant 1 personal foul.
A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature (unwarranted or too much) and/or unnecessary (avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play), but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
a) Causing excessive or unnecessary contact with an opponent;
b) Contact with an opponent that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player;
c) Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score. Depending on the severity of the contact and the potential for injury, this type of foul could rise to the level of a flagrant 2 foul;
d) Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
e) Contact with a player making a throw-in;
f) Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow that is deemed excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul (See Rule 4-18.7); Rule 4 / Definitions 49
g) Illegal contact caused by a player hooking an opponent over or under the arm and which may lead the official to believe the contact was caused by the opponent. Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, this foul could be considered a flagrant 2 foul; and
h) Contact with an opponent that is not the result of a normal basketball play. "Normal basketball play" is defined as any activity by a player, including incidental contact, which is generally accepted as that which occurs in a basketball game when the player is attempting to make a legal offensive or defensive play

I highlighted what I felt were the relevant sections.

It seems like (f) clearly describes what happened to Hyatt, but the refs felt it didn't rise to the standard of (h).... swinging your arms outside your "cylinder" and making contact with the jaw of a defender standing next to you is apparently a "normal basketball play" and "incidental contact". Apparently elbows to the jaw that send a player to the floor is "generally accepted as that which occurs in a basketball game".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT