ADVERTISEMENT

Hysteria, Hysteria

Clueless. If we followed the advice of folks like you and did nothing, we'd likely have 5-10X more deaths than from the flu (150-300K instead of the 30-60K we see from the flu) and we'd have most of them (and serious infections requiring hospitalizations) occurring in a very short period, given the much greater transmission rate than flu, overwhelming our systems. That's why governments are working so hard to contain this. Maybe read up a little...

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ing-ugly-good-luck.191275/page-7#post-4442323
Numbers, btw, according to some of the experts including Dr. Fauci, uninformed people that like to spout off, "so what's the big deal. Thirty thousand people die every year from the flu." The response to that ignorance is the following: If the flu kills 30,000 per year in this country, the new pandemic Covid-19 could kill 10 times that or 300,000. In addition, former Bush health expert (a doctor I can't think of his name now) just stated last night, that he fears 70 million at the low end to 150 million at the high end could be infected by the Coronavirus. What is this based on? Science.

Reactions: Scangg
I can't help you when you refuse to comprehend where I'm coming from, especially if your sources you reference are full of misinformation.
Examples of misinformation I have spread? I'm all ears.

And I know exactly where you coming from, trust me.

Scangg.... Mueller report showed Russia collusion was a joke. No alex jones or fox news. The fact that i am alive in 2020 and Britain doesnt have the same climate as siberia is proof the climate scientist were wrong in 2004. You can make jokes but cant really deny the truth.
There is literally no truth to anything you are saying but again off topic. I urge you to try to inform yourself

The students, the coaches, the support staff for the team,s

The rest of life is being shut down. With no leadership from the top, then it's happening sporadically. But's its still happening. And it's not just about the 11 students. It's the coaches, the team support staff, the hundreds needed to open the venues even with no guests, media, and hundreds of others. And if you aren't going to go forward with the whole tournament, don't just let 1 more game go forward.

are you prepared to be quarantined for a month, because that is next, the government is trying to avoid this

When Trumps chief of staff told people to turn off the TV, that is probably the best advice you could give someone.

Its an election year...lots of people have a lot at stake hoping this virus devastates this country...Id bet a lot on the political left would be willing to go through an economic depression and have a million Americans die if that means the person they voted for would become president. No doubt.
Possibly the worst post I've ever seen on these boards. You need help if you believe even a little of that.

Numbers, btw, according to some of the experts including Dr. Fauci, uninformed people that like to spout off, "so what's the big deal. Thirty thousand people die every year from the flu." The response to that ignorance is the following: If the flu kills 30,000 per year in this country, the new pandemic Covid-19 could kill 10 times that or 300,000. In addition, former Bush health expert (a doctor I can't think of his name now) just stated last night, that he fears 70 million at the low end to 150 million at the high end could be infected by the Coronavirus. What is this based on? Science.

Understood that these are estimates, but I think the trouble that some have with this is that if (when?) these estimates prove to be too high, there will be nothing we can do to go back in time and prevent the over-reaction. And we will not learn for next time. The other option, of course, is that the actions we took simply caused the actual number of cases/deaths to be so low.

The answer will never come back to the idea that maybe, just maybe, the estimates of cases and deaths were always too high and the panic was maybe a little too strong.

I know this Corona is worse but this is how the swine flu turned out..they thought there would be massive infected......now circumstances are different, already its way worse and playing out in ways the swine flu never did but just interesting to relook

However, the pandemic, which some experts estimated at the time could infect 50 million to 60 million Americans, never unfolded. Only about 200 cases of swine flu and one death were ultimately reported in the U.S., the CDC said.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-apr-27-sci-swine-history27-story.html

It doesn't speak well for you that you're still calling it climate change. The scammers have rebranded it as the "climate crisis". Not enough fools were falling for that CC stuff. Gotta up the ante.
What's the goal again of these "scammers"? They hate America or something?

Go look at Jeff Boals twitter account. Head coach at ohio. Game canceled so what do his guys do????? play pickup. canceling the games today is an overaction end of story. AS long as my kids still goes to elementary school these guys can play sports.

It doesn't speak well for you that you're still calling it climate change. The scammers have rebranded it as the "climate crisis". Not enough fools were falling for that CC stuff. Gotta up the ante.
You're either trolling or from the movie idiocracy

are you prepared to be quarantined for a month, because that is next, the government is trying to avoid this
I think what's going to happen is that non-essential people will be asked to work from home. And non-essential large gatherings will be banned. That's a far cry from quarantine. But yes I'm expecting that to last for a couple of months, starting any day now. Or maybe not, because that does require some leadership and right now government officials have not been able to get their ducks in a row because of how Trump and Fox have politicized this as a liberal hoax. But if they stand down, then I'd expect social distancing rules to be in place for a couple of months. I already moved my 20 person office to working from home. Which nobody is complaining about anyway.

Reactions: yogalates
If it could kill that many in the states, wouldn't have it done that in China? And yes, China has quarantine the hell out of their country, but despite that if this virus is deadly as they say it is, their death toll and infection rate should be skyrocketing, not declining as it is now.

I think extreme caution should be taken, I have no issue with colleges going full-time online, companies having their workers work at home if they can, even maybe barring crowds at games, but shutting down the country which is about what is going to happen is way too extreme...at the moment.

And it is important we don't go to far extremes, like I said earlier if this virus fizzles out to be a no-show or at the least controllable, many are going to be chagrined and frustrated, right now this is taking money out of the pockets of the people who can at least afford it and if there is a time when a real monster virus does comes along, it might be a harder sell to the public.

Understood that these are estimates, but I think the trouble that some have with this is that if (when?) these estimates prove to be too high, there will be nothing we can do to go back in time and prevent the over-reaction. And we will not learn for next time. The other option, of course, is that the actions we took simply caused the actual number of cases/deaths to be so low.

The answer will never come back to the idea that maybe, just maybe, the estimates of cases and deaths were always too high and the panic was maybe a little too strong.
Good post. I too fear that, what you stated will occur as well.

Remember the good old days when we had nothing to fight over except if RU needed 1 or 2 more wins to get in the tourney? Ah, simpler times.

If it could kill that many in the states, wouldn't have it done that in China? And yes, China has quarantine the hell out of their country, but despite that if this virus is deadly as they say it is, their death toll and infection rate should be skyrocketing, not declining as it is now.

I think extreme caution should be taken, I have no issue with colleges going full-time online, companies having their workers work at home if they can, even maybe barring crowds at games, but shutting down the country which is about what is going to happen is way too extreme...at the moment.

And it is important we don't go to far extremes, like I said earlier if this virus fizzles out to be a no-show or at the least controllable, many are going to be chagrined and frustrated, right now this is taking money out of the pockets of the people who can at least afford it and if there is a time when a real monster virus does comes along, it might be a harder sell to the public.
I agree with your second and third paragraphs. Your first one however, is absurd. We don't know how many have contracted it there or died, because China cannot be believed in what their numbers are telling us.

What you said following that, I agree with.

Remember the good old days when we had nothing to fight over except if RU needed 1 or 2 more wins to get in the tourney? Ah, simpler times.
I remember the time, before Fox news, when every single issue wasn't translated into an us vs. them political war. When acts of god and natural disasters were covered as news, with facts and experts, and nary a liberal hoax or conspiracy was to blame. When someone could say: "Hey look, the sky is blue." And a person from another political party could just agree with you without having to decide how that fit into their ideological world view and check in with some low rent cable or online demagogue.

We sent millions of children and young kids to daycare, elementary school and high school today with teachers and aids. Disney World is still open. Vegas is open. AC is open.

So college students and sports fans/players are the most impacted.

I remember the time, before Fox news, when every single issue wasn't translated into an us vs. them political war. When acts of god and natural disasters were covered as news, with facts and experts, and nary a liberal hoax or conspiracy was to blame. When someone could say: "Hey look, the sky is blue." And a person from another political party could just agree with you without having to decide how that fit into their ideological world view and check in with some low rent cable or online demagogue.

please...this applies on both sides, stop making it a fox news thing only...you are so self unaware

maybe if lib media didnt scream russian collusion and indictments 24/7 the public would still trust them

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
I agree with your second and third paragraphs. Your first one however, is absurd. We don't know how many have contracted it there or died, because China cannot be believed in what their numbers are telling us.

What you said following that, I agree with.
I agree that we can't trust the numbers out of China, it wouldn't surprise me if the rumors of them incinerating bodies in Wuhan at the height of the infection are true, but considering how dense their population is and other factors, that even if they are fudging the numbers and lets say 100,000 poor souls perished to the virus, that'd still actually a low number for the epicenter of the virus in an area so highly populated. Not to mention the late start they got to fighting it.

It just doesn't add up.

Reactions: Wolv RU and RU MAN
please...this applies on both sides, stop making it a fox news thing only...you are so self unaware

maybe if lib media didnt scream russian collusion and indictments 24/7 the public would still trust them
BAC, I respect the hell out of you when it comes to basketball. I'm aware of what you post on that cesspool known as the CE thread. Please don't start polluting this wonderful basketball site with this kind of stuff. It makes me question your credibility. Leave your political feelings out of this okay?

No it doesn't apply on both sides. One side has some flaws and deserves criticism. The other side is a swamp of insane conspiracies and bad actors. It's not equal.
The left doesn't have their share of insane conspiracies and bad actors? Oh com'on man....

No it doesn't apply on both sides. One side has some flaws and deserves criticism. The other side is a swamp of insane conspiracies and bad actors. It's not equal.

Please look at the charts on this website. Are these numbers indicative of a situation where just about everything has to stop?

Less then 130,000 cases worldwide.
Over 68,000 of these cases have already recovered.
Less then 4,800 deaths worldwide since 22 January.
According to the CDC as of 22 February during this 2019-20 flu season 280,000 people have been hospitalized and 16,000 people have died from the flu just in the U.S.

Let's please get a grip.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-people-died-flu-year/story?id=67754182

Even though I don't agree with you politically, I always pegged you as rational. But I guess I was wrong. The issue is not where we are, but where we could be headed. That's the way pandemics work. This is a highly contagious virus (up to 3 times more transmittable than the Flu) and with a mortality in severe cases that has been measured close to 5% in China Studies. People using the Flu, which deploys a vaccination, as a 1-1 comparison or using mortality rates are the ones who need to get a grip.

Crying and complaining about shutting down large sporting events even if only as a preventative measure.........seems infantile in the face of what potentially can come.

'
total bullshit, this goes beyond our current crisis which has been handled poorly by both Trump and the msm

Not on their mainstream news and cable outlets no. On the right, the crazy is front and center and goes right to the top. And all the grownups have been driven out or cowed into silence.
Brian Stelter, Don Lemon, Brian Williams, Lawrence O'Donnell, I could go on, and I don't watch or defend FOX News either, but the notion that CNN and MSNBC is more credible is quite naive - they all suck balls.

Riiiiiight only the ONE right leaning network is the swamp full of conspiracies and the other pristine and non politically motivated ones are just in it for the news angle.

if you honestly believe that it is adorably naive...but that’s our irreparably fractured United States for you.

that’s ok, as a political entity, the US is headed for a break up...a national divorce seems almost inevitable (and that has nothing with this stupid virus mess)

pick your side and pledge allegiance to it!

I wonder what the respective flags will look like?!

Reactions: bac2therac
BAC, I respect the hell out of you when it comes to basketball. I'm aware of what you post on that cesspool known as the CE thread. Please don't start polluting this wonderful basketball site with this kind of stuff. It makes me question your credibility. Leave your political feelings out of this okay?

sorry but if someone is going to start calling out one side, then you better tell them to shove it too..unfortunately a double standard exist, some others want to have these discussions sprinkling in politics but when the other side comes back, you freak out and say dont do this...be better.....and quite frankly I dont give a shit about you questioning my credibilty...this has zero to do with basketball..if you cannot tolerate people having opposing viewpoints than it is YOUR problem not mine

so funny which side cannot tolerate any difference of opinion...its predictable, we have see this behavior for 3 years.

Reactions: sunsetregret

one side has an overt editorial bias and is full of never trumpers. trump derangement syndrome or whatever you want to call it. fox/trump exercises a lot of control over the conservative media message and knowingly publishes false information. repeatedly. its not apples to apples.

Riiiiiight only the ONE right leaning network is the swamp full of conspiracies and the other pristine and non politically motivated ones are just in it for the news angle.

if you honestly believe that it is adorably naive...but that’s our irreparably fractured United States for you.

that’s ok, as a political entity, the US is headed for a break up...a national divorce seems almost inevitable (and that has nothing with this stupid virus mess)

pick your side and pledge allegiance to it!

I wonder what the respective flags will look like?!
That we are headed for a political break up is the first thing you have said that I agree with. I'm glad you find me "adorable." I find your condescending comments to be childish. Try making your points without throwing in little insults. You will find the odds of having reasonable conversations that lead somewhere go way up.

I suppose your examples would be things like covering global warming as if it's real, or Trump's corruption as if it actually happened?

lets start with Kavanaugh lies and bullshit from NY Times, lets start with phony stories about Covington kids, lets start with Mike Flynn..yeah you know the one that the DOJ leaked intel to msm to smear him as an agent of Russia.....and lookie hear guess what, he is not an agent of Russia...oh.....what about Carter Page,.......yeah well.

Some? Fame. Others? They need to justify their research and expertise in order to receive public funding.
It's just so preposterous. That thousands of scientists are faking shit to get research grants. People just aren't like that. On top of that, any scientist that comes out with findings that global warming is fake will be flooded with cash from oil and coal and right wing billionaires. The whole premise is so absurd.

lets start with Kavanaugh lies and bullshit from NY Times, lets start with phony stories about Covington kids, lets start with Mike Flynn..yeah you know the one that the DOJ leaked intel to msm to smear him as an agent of Russia.....and lookie hear guess what, he is not an agent of Russia...oh.....what about Carter Page,.......yeah well.
I never heard of Covington kids. Mike Flynn was breaking the law and got caught. Not sure what you are saying there. Carter Page rings a bell but that's it. I'm not sure how any of this stacks up to the big picture. I read the transcripts of Trump's phone call, saw the emails. Saw his public statements. He is trying to subvert our election by coercing foreign governments to interfere using the US government. I also read the conclusions of the actual Mueller report. That's all impeachment worthy and some of it criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT