ADVERTISEMENT

I’m done with Mag; Simpson is exceeding expectations

I definitely like Hyatt over Mag.
Different positions. Hyatt is the 4 at this point...Mag will hit the bench when Caleb returns. Mag can't play the 3 and not score. Thats not an option. He's a good energy guy, but thats about it.

Different positions. Hyatt is the 4 at this point...Mag will hit the bench when Caleb returns. Mag can't play the 3 and not score. Thats not an option. He's a good energy guy, but thats about it.
He doesn’t just need to score if he’s going to take time from Caleb at the 3. He would need to put up substantially more than 7+ ppg to justify taking time from Caleb based on offense (and that’s assuming Caleb doesn’t improve at all this year). Mag is not a better ball handler, rebounder or defender than Caleb. So it would have to be about scoring ability.

Reactions: SBP
I like his journey too. Points win games not journeys.

it’s not a personal attack friends, it’s merely finding the right player the right role in the team. That role is not starting forward.
Fair enough ! It may be accurate however the title of your thread sort of paints a much worse vibe . Once Paul and Caleb return, it ll be interesting to see what Pike does.
Kudos to Mens soccer !

Reactions: shields
We were away for NJ school break so I didn’t see this one except the highlights. Only flipped through the play by play. How was Hyatt’s defense?
He was exposed unlike Game 1 and 2. He wasn’t alone.

I totally get that I go overboard and in 70 possessions even great defenders will make mistakes and get beat.

I think we overestimate 2 vs 3 or 3 vs 4. With the amount of switching that we do the guy you have may not be the guy you are defending by the time the shot clock winds down

Reactions: PaKnight
Bottom line, he continues to be a promise unfulfilled. Year 3. He misses chippies, and has no outside shot to speak of. He will be a situational defense, rebound, energy sub.

Reactions: zebnatto
Thank god you have declared for some reason I’ll trust Pike. Those two freshman a lot of people on this board thought were a horrible class look pretty good so far. These first three games were a lot more fun then last year I’m gonna enjoy the ride
That's a good point. Many thought our freshman class was a disaster. I typically reserve judgment until we see guys play but even I was concerned. But it seems Pike found 2 guys that have real star potential when no one else thought much of them. Its just crazy how little recruitment buzz there was around Simpson and Woolfolk. These guys are probably the most polished guard and front court players (respectively) that Pike has ever brought in. Woolfolk is ahead of where Cliff was as a frosh. And Simpson is ahead of any guard from their frosh year. Granted, Simpson isn't going to score 28 against Iowa like Harper did (I think he was a frosh?). But I think Simpson will be more consistent than either Harper or Geo ever were. And that pull up jumper off a penetrating dribble is something I haven't seen from and RU guard since Corey Sanders.

Why is it that some posters have to criticize some of our players and especially after only 3 games? I have already attended 7 practices this season and I see how hard all of our players work every single day and how hard all of our coaches work. I trust our coaches and I have confidence in all of our players. Let our coaches decide who starts or come off the bench. It is a team effort and I root for all of the players and coaches.

Paul struggled the whole season except for 5 games.
I think the main issue is your expectations. Not every player on a team is going to be a star. Not every starter is going to make an All Big 10 team. If your view on Mulcahey is he struggled in every game except the 5 games where he was playing like a first team all conference player, then your expectations are just unrealistic.

Why is it that some posters have to criticize some of our players and especially after only 3 games? I have already attended 7 practices this season and I see how hard all of our players work every single day and how hard all of our coaches work. I trust our coaches and I have confidence in all of our players. Let our coaches decide who starts or come off the bench. It is a team effort and I root for all of the players and coaches.
Because we are Rutgers we eat our own …always have and always will. It’s in the genetic makeup if people from Nj

Reactions: ancienthooper
We need to go to the archives and expose those who were wrong.....for sport.
Please geniuses go get the tape of Eugenes junior year so we can match it against Mag’s junior year as the season progresses. Let’s compare like for like - development in year 3.

Hyatt and Mag play the same position. Both are 4's that could play the 3 but are better suited for the 4

We’ve heard that for while now… breakout this, breakout that. He is what he is. Not much offense, hustle on defense, good energy. With this current team , to me, he’s 2nd or 3rd off the bench depending on situation…maybe he will find the touch offensively, but body of work year 3? Not there.
Coming from the guy who proclaimed Dean the starting 4...

Reactions: needmorecowbell
He was exposed unlike Game 1 and 2. He wasn’t alone.

I totally get that I go overboard and in 70 possessions even great defenders will make mistakes and get beat.

I mean - the first 2 teams couldn’t make open shots. So perimeter defense really didn’t matter. But seeing that Simpson and Cam are both servicable (at minimum) on defense, minutes for either Mag or Hyatt at 1-3 figure to be harder to come by once Caleb returns than original thought. We have enough guys to rotate in those positions and all of them can handle the ball which is not Mag nor Hyatt’s strong suits. So the question really becomes about who helps us more at the 4 specifically. I’m not sure how much Mag’s interior D stands out over Hyatt’s. Still TBD in my opinion. For now, Hyatt is looking like the more effective offensive player by a substantial margin.

I mean - the first 2 teams couldn’t make open shots. So perimeter defense really didn’t matter. But seeing that Simpson and Cam are both servicable (at minimum) on defense, minutes for either Mag or Hyatt at 1-3 figure to be harder to come by once Caleb returns than original thought. We have enough guys to rotate in those positions and all of them can handle the ball which is not Mag nor Hyatt’s strong suits. So the question really becomes about who helps us more at the 4 specifically. I’m not sure how much Mag’s interior D stands out over Hyatt’s. Still TBD in my opinion. For now, Hyatt is looking like the more effective offensive player by a substantial margin.
Interior D is a TBD in my eyes too. You still need to get out on shooters guarding most 4s, you still need to defend using both eyes (man and ball) defending, and there is switching.

there is a huge edge for Hyatt on the defensive glass, enough to potentially negate his weakness perimeter defense.

I think the best 5 is the 4 guards and Cliff.

shoukd be interesting to see this play out. Hopefully injuries don’t stay a factor.

Paul is the leader of this team. Mag and Caleb together are the identity and the reason we’re so good on defense. Mag had a great offensive game, which lifted us with Paul and Caleb’s shots being off.

It’s unlikely he’ll become a consistent offensive threat this year, but we’re a defense first team. Ranked #2 in the nation and if Caleb played vs. Temple and UMass Lowell we might be number 1. The combination of him and Mag playing together make this team special. End of story.

This is a damn good bump your own post!
No need to point fingers at others imo!
But Zap, people who are R fans shouldn’t be sensitive when their negative finger pointing at one of our players turns out to be wrong and it’s pointed out.

Where I come from, if you are wrong, suck it up and admit it. And then maybe learn something for next time.

But Zap, people who are R fans shouldn’t be sensitive when their negative finger pointing at one of our players turns out to be wrong and it’s pointed out.

Where I come from, if you are wrong, suck it up and admit it. And then maybe learn something for next time.
Where I’m from you point it out in fun, bust a few chops.and laugh about it.

I’m KIDDING a half dozen Daniel Jones naysayers as I type.
They couldn’t be happier

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT