ADVERTISEMENT

I am reserving my thoughts until after the next game

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
I have no dog in the fight as to who should have been selected to start the game. I trust that the coaches certainly know more than anyone on this board and most definitely want to win.
Considering that Laviano, or Rettig for that matter, have had very little experience to really think one is the better choice over the other. The fact that both showed a lot of promise in the first game was certainly encouraging, but we did play a weak opponent so it should also have not been unexpected.
However, Laviano did make some critical mistakes. Is this unusual with someone with so little experience? Would Rettig not have made some mistakes too? Nobody really knows as this board could just as easily be roasting Rettig instead had the same kind of things occurred.
My bottom line, even though Laviano's int and fumble led to them getting 10pts., was that we were still in position to win this game with less than a minute to go!! We had two TD's called back due to stupid penalties.

The coaching of our D appeared to be to go into a "prevent" from the get go. The fact that they moved right down the field with 10 straight completions and scored didn't seem to make them think this was not a good idea. Meanwhile, we showed absolutely no push on their O-line or any penetration. Their QB had all day to find a receiver. If you are looking for a scapegoat, look no further than this decision by the defensive coach. We pretty much did nothing to speak of until the second half. Meanwhile, their D was able to contain our running game the first half and force us to pass.

Anyway, I am guessing that Laviano will be our starter against PSU. They will be throwing the ball all over the place unless we can get at Hack. Can we even come close to what Temple did? Don't know.
If Laviano is unable to get us into a winning position, we need to see if Rettig can. If Flood does the same thing he did against them last year, I will join the voices against him. He appears to have two choices, use them.

PSU runs a very different offense than WSU. We can blitz PSU without as much fear of getting burned by their QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT