ADVERTISEMENT

I can’t buy in to the “we suck” thing.

That is good news.

But why no other freshman Allen talk?
Didn’t Allen have a leg injury prior to coming to Rutgers in January 2022.? That is why I think he has played little or played not at all.

Didn’t Allen have a leg injury prior to coming to Rutgers in January 2022.? That is why I think he has played little or played not at all.
Perhaps that would explain the lack of PT but thought there would be more discussion/excitement around the top NJ player in a position of great need. Has he practiced? Out totally rehabbing? Expected to contend for starting position next year?

I expect Allen to be a big part of the O line build. I believe someone posted in early season that Missouri and Asamoah are looking good. I really want these guys to become a great O line not just a good one. That is no small achievement if it occurs in the next several years. Greg has a plan. It may not meet with this astute board ‘s coaches association but it is coming together .

Optimistic or dumb is a matter of opinion. Was it optimism in Year 3 of Ash to say "I think he can get it done."
Some natural born complainers wanted GS gone after 2004, especially after beating Mich State only to lose to New Hampshire. Ended the season with 5 straight losses. But it was very clear that the gap was narrowing. We all know what happened thereafter. Same thing happening now.

Some natural born complainers wanted GS gone after 2004, especially after beating Mich State only to lose to New Hampshire. Ended the season with 5 straight losses. But it was very clear that the gap was narrowing. We all know what happened thereafter. Same thing happening now.
Is it clear the gap is narrowing? The team looks the same as last year and has won fewer Big Ten games than Year 1, and last year. And are we happy with a coach who, if he does really turn the team around, will probably give us 7-5 seasons? I know some are thrilled at that prospect. What about others?

Is it clear the gap is narrowing? The team looks the same as last year and has won fewer Big Ten games than Year 1, and last year. And are we happy with a coach who, if he does really turn the team around, will probably give us 7-5 seasons? I know some are thrilled at that prospect. What about others?
7-5 in the B1G East? Sign me up

We played half the season WITHOUT A QB. Wimsatt was hurt and Vedral was playing with a broken hand and could not grip the ball to throw it. If either of them were healthy we win at least one more game and possibly two.

Reactions: ru-baby

For whatever reason, some people think its easy to just get "a big named coach" and away you go.
Saban and Meyer could win NCs going from one top school to another but most schools don't find deliverers to make them into a top team.

Most teams are medicore even with good coaches.
Its hard to bounce back in CFB
Michigan won a ton of titles in 70s-90s but after 2004 it took to 2021 to win a B1G title
Add in Florida St, Texas, USC, Colorado, Miami and others who were powerhouses and went down the drain for years at a clip.
They had big name rescue coaches who bombed
Its very hard to recover from a trip to the cfb basement
Add in things like Va shooting that goes on today
Coach Schiano is a bit more resistant to things like that and dont underestimate it
Even Army had players ODing on drugs this spring

Reactions: Kbee3
Posted this in other thread:

One thing I find interesting looking at the overall season stats is they are essentially even vs our competition stats on the season. Yeah we had a cupcake in Wagner but in Ash years we wouldn’t have been close to the oppositions stats on the season . IMO shows the overall progress and how we are getting closer, still with a younger roster and still lacking some playmakers. If you look Basically total yards, rushing yards, passing yards, first downs, TOP and most other stats are even. We are making progress, just not as quickly as some of us might want.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Here is what the rest of college football thinks of us:

Massey Composite Ranking

92 Connecticut
93 Rutgers

Being ranked 93rd, with two more likely losses on the way, is terrible and is terrible for Year 3 of a rebuild. Perennial dumpster fire Kansas is ranked 32nd in Year 2 of their rebuild. We should at least be 60s or 70s. That's not at all unrealistic. Honestly, at this point Schiano is doing worse than I had expected.
I think it's '95 who always talks about how low our expectations are as fans and how we should expect more. Those examples are also why I keep saying our gameday coaching is amongst the worst there is.

I think it's '95 who always talks about how low our expectations are as fans and how we should expect more. Those examples are also why I keep saying our gameday coaching is amongst the worst there is.
I've never seen a fanbase more desirous of mediocrity than this one, and patient to wait for it. And critical of fans who, you know, want to win. We have fans who say they'd be thrilled with 7-5 every year. I'm the opposite. I'd rather have 5-7 for 9 years with 11-1/12-1 just one time and that great "Rose Bowl year." At least it would be a great memory. Who wants to watch nothing but 3rd rate football forever with no real high points?

In 2005 Ray Rice happened, which Schiano's resume is built upon. If Sam Brown is close to RR's ability and Wimsatt develops we should get to minor bowl status and then maybe some recruiting momentum. I'd be fine with that progression.

Reactions: colbert17
I've never seen a fanbase more desirous of mediocrity than this one, and patient to wait for it. And critical of fans who, you know, want to win. We have fans who say they'd be thrilled with 7-5 every year. I'm the opposite. I'd rather have 5-7 for 9 years with 11-1/12-1 just one time and that great "Rose Bowl year." At least it would be a great memory. Who wants to watch nothing but 3rd rate football forever with no real high points?
Here is how the real world works. If you are constantly 7-5, the good year will get you to a Rose Bowl. If you are constantly 5-7, the good year is 7-5 or 8-4. Who doesn’t want instant success? The question is how. Fanbase is small and cheap.

Here is how the real world works. If you are constantly 7-5, the good year will get you to a Rose Bowl. If you are constantly 5-7, the good year is 7-5 or 8-4. Who doesn’t want instant success? The question is how. Fanbase is small and cheap.
That's not the real world as I've observed it. A team like, say, Northwestern or Purdue goes through stretches where they struggle. Then things pick up, maybe because of a great QB, and they have a few good seasons in a row where one season is the Rose Bowl year. Then they go back to struggling. I don't see teams like us consistently going 7-5 and then peaking. That's what Schiano fans thought he would be post-2006 and what he will be now. But post 2006 he never had a great year.

Why are you so infatuated with Schiano? The positive fans talk about the team and the players and you keep talking about Schiano. I mostly like him but care more about the team and the players. Taking him out of the equation I like the direction of this program which has clearly headed South since 2014 and started heading North again in 2020. I don’t care who the HC is. I like the positive trend.

Why are you so infatuated with Schiano? The positive fans talk about the team and the players and you keep talking about Schiano. I mostly like him but care more about the team and the players. Taking him out of the equation I like the direction of this program which has clearly headed South since 2014 and started heading North again in 2020. I don’t care who the HC is. I like the positive trend.
Are we trending positive under Schiano 2.0, or was the previous coach so bad that people are mistaking basic competence in running a program for progress and the ability to compete at this level? I think Schiano is a good coach, but unfortunately based on the results on the field he may not be the coach that will lead us to competitiveness within the B1G. I think people have a legitimate right to hold him accountable in the third year of a rebuild. They do it at every other P5 program, however, some fans at Rutgers continue to give him a free pass based on past performance from a time when the kids playing today weren't even born or were toddlers.

Reactions: brgRC90
Are we trending positive under Schiano 2.0, or was the previous coach so bad that people are mistaking basic competence in running a program for progress and the ability to compete at this level? I think Schiano is a good coach, but unfortunately based on the results on the field he may not be the coach that will lead us to competitiveness within the B1G. I think people have a legitimate right to hold him accountable in the third year of a rebuild. They do it at every other P5 program, however, some fans at Rutgers continue to give him a free pass based on past performance from a time when the kids playing today weren't even born or were toddlers.
Remember, this is a safe space for fans of Schiano. Only happy thoughts. Criticism triggers them so keep it positive and remember '06! Always remember '06! (There's nothing else to remember, anyway.) Only at other programs, ie places that want to win, are you allowed to criticize the coach when the team is bad.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Huh? Taking the head coach out of the equation? How exactly do you do that?

Another SDS poster. Stop obsessing with Schiano and root for the team. It’s sad. You are sad. I tell you guys to focus on the players and their development and you can’t help but obsess on the guy. Very sad.

Another SDS poster. Stop obsessing with Schiano and root for the team. It’s sad. You are sad. I tell you guys to focus on the players and their development and you can’t help but obsess on the guy. Very sad.
You don't have to tell me to root for the team, I have been doing so for over 50 years. Nobody is "obsessing" on Coach Schiano. He is in fact the head coach and responsible for the product on the field and the record of the team and its failure to be competitive within the division and conference. Fans have a right, and I would argue obligation, to hold him and his staff accountable in the third year of a rebuild that has yet to produce a winning season, and may be taking a step back record wise this year.

this season has been disappointing to say the least but let’s relax a bit and rethink this. Entering this season we all knew that there were three really big “ifs” surrounding this team. One, how much better would the OL be with the new transfers and freshman. Two, how would the QB situation turn out. Three, the lack of depth at linebacker. Our overall defense, the line and the DB’s were considered by most as good, not great but good. The RB room was, again, good, not great but good. And the WR were supposed to be improved with the acquisition of Ryan and (that Syracuse transfer). Then that transfer left the team and the WR room took a big hit. So, the OL did improve some but not as much as we would have wanted but there is youth there. One of those frosh started yesterday so I expect the OL to get a little better next year (especially if Sutton returns and is as good as he was before his injury, unknown). Our QBs were decimated. Vedral played the first half of the year with what we now know was a broken hand, he couldn’t throw. Matt Millen even said on the air that Vedral “had a lot of hardware in there” referring to his hand. GW got his ankle injured in game two and was unavail for four or five games and Simon proved to be what he is, a third string backup. We played half a season without a QB. Who wins without a QB, NO ONE. until yesterday we were able to avoid injury to the LBs but then Jennings went down and MSU exploited Wright Collins over the middle. Next year we get Mo Toure back on the DL and Moses Walker in the LB core. Overall, as I see it we are still on an upward trajectory in regards to the talent level. Let’s see how that heralded recruiting class improves and the transfer portal emerges for next year. I may be accused of seeing through scarlet colored glasses but I think we are in better shape than our record indicates for next year.
Nice post. Thanks. What kind of class do we have coming in?

Nice post. Thanks. What kind of class do we have coming in?
From what I have heard on various podcasts this class is not as good as the last but it seems the class is small enough to allow for several portal moves. We will see.

From what I have heard on various podcasts this class is not as good as the last but it seems the class is small enough to allow for several portal moves. We will see.
First year we hired Schiano too late so he went all in portal and those upperclassmen made us competitive in year one. Last year he had to use the portal to rebuild the OL. I think he will continue some combo of the portal and traditional recruiting.

I think OL is deep now but we will take a top level OL if one is available and interested in competing against great Defenses.

WR probably needs a boost and preferably a big body.

LB can use help due to the injuries.

We lose 2 safeties but I can see Loyal moving into that Izien Hybrid role and maybe someone else sliding to Young’s spot.

We take a stud QB but this is Gavin’s team now so better to keep Simon and keep recruiting and developing there. If Simon moves on we need a QB for sure. That’s a tough one for the coaches.

Special Teams can use help. We played a lot of young guys there this year with all the major and many minor injuries. We won’t use the portal for ST’s so hopefully some of these younger kids step up.

You don't have to tell me to root for the team, I have been doing so for over 50 years. Nobody is "obsessing" on Coach Schiano. He is in fact the head coach and responsible for the product on the field and the record of the team and its failure to be competitive within the division and conference. Fans have a right, and I would argue obligation, to hold him and his staff accountable in the third year of a rebuild that has yet to produce a winning season, and may be taking a step back record wise this year.
Lol have you ever heard such an absurd thing, like it's possible to take the coach out of the equation

Last 3 years are light years ahead of previous 3 and even the 3 before that. So yes we are trending positive. I don’t like the record but I have eyes. It’s beyond obvious what we are doing here but you do you.

I don’t care who the coach is. Greg has made enough money he’ll be fine. I can question many of his decisions but I look at the positives and the work being put in and will focus on that. No need to attack a solid Thread by the OP. Start a separate negative thread and put your thousands of negative posts in there. You have that right but what you and others are doing in this thread and so many other threads is sad. Very sad.

Last 3 years are light years ahead of previous 3 and even the 3 before that. So yes we are trending positive. I don’t like the record but I have eyes. It’s beyond obvious what we are doing here but you do you.

I don’t care who the coach is. Greg has made enough money he’ll be fine. I can question many of his decisions but I look at the positives and the work being put in and will focus on that. No need to attack a solid Thread by the OP. Start a separate negative thread and put your thousands of negative posts in there. You have that right but what you and others are doing in this thread and so many other threads is sad. Very sad.
Maybe the moderators need to identify safe threads for Schiano supporters and those threads will be limited to just positive comments concerning Coach Schiano. That way the Schiano supporters will not have to face the ugly and sad posts from fans of Rutgers University who dare question the progress and direction of the program under their esteemed leader.

Reactions: brgRC90
Maybe the moderators need to identify safe threads for Schiano supporters and those threads will be limited to just positive comments concerning Coach Schiano. That way the Schiano supporters will not have to face the ugly and sad posts from fans of Rutgers University who dare question the progress and direction of the program under their esteemed leader.
Seems to me that sentiment goes both ways

Reactions: Foads
I am with the OP.

We do not "SUCK".

VS Michigan, we were so much better than "suck" in the first half. The second half.. definitely looked like SUCK... well, it felt like it.

I think we have let-downs that really hurt. But we are still headed the right direction.

Reactions: Dpgru
It’s also about trends. With NIL the gap is growing much bigger.
While we can assume that will be the trend.. early evidence of its immediate benefits to the big spenders is lacking. Certainly, the pundits thought A&M and Texas, both big spenders, would have better records than they do now. And I suppose, in the long run, they will be better.. but they do not dominate this year.

2000: 3-8 #94
---- ENTER SCHIANO ----
2001: 2-9 #104
2002: 1-11 #105
2003: 5-7 #70
2004: 4-7 #80
2005: 7-5 #61
2006: 11-2 #19
2007: 8-5 #38
2008: 8-5 #35
2009: 9-4 #47
2010: 4-8 #79
2011: 9-4 #44
---- EXIT SCHIANO ---
2019: 2-10 #115
---- ENTER SCHIANO ---
2020: 3-6 #65
2021: 5-8 #76
2022: 4-6 #70

Make of this what you will. What Schiano did well last time around was the awful => decent phase of the rebuild and he's at roughly the same place this time around with an arguably worse starting place. The panic around here is way overblown.

In 2005 Ray Rice happened, which Schiano's resume is built upon. If Sam Brown is close to RR's ability and Wimsatt develops we should get to minor bowl status and then maybe some recruiting momentum. I'd be fine with that progression.
No, it was way more than that. Strong defense. Powerful OL that allowed Rice room to operate. Leonard. Talented WRs. Strong specials.

Reactions: Yeah Baby and Kbee3
2000: 3-8 #94
---- ENTER SCHIANO ----
2001: 2-9 #104
2002: 1-11 #105
2003: 5-7 #70
2004: 4-7 #80
2005: 7-5 #61
2006: 11-2 #19
2007: 8-5 #38
2008: 8-5 #35
2009: 9-4 #47
2010: 4-8 #79
2011: 9-4 #44
---- EXIT SCHIANO ---
2019: 2-10 #115
---- ENTER SCHIANO ---
2020: 3-6 #65
2021: 5-8 #76
2022: 4-6 #70

Make of this what you will. What Schiano did well last time around was the awful => decent phase of the rebuild and he's at roughly the same place this time around with an arguably worse starting place. The panic around here is way overblown.
In some cases it’s panic or negativity. But the vocal dozen or so posters do not like Schiano and say it 100 times a day. I like what he has done twice now but I am a Rutgers fans first.

Lost all three toss-up games. With a little better coaching, execution and luck we win two and could have qualified for a bowl THIS season. Next season Schiano's honeymoon ends and wins become the barometer.
Optimal coaching gets you close game wins. Look at the Giants this yr.

Optimal coaching gets you close game wins. Look at the Giants this yr.
Do you really believe his coaching would have won those close games with a starting QB whose hand was broken and couldn’t throw the ball and the backup QB out with an ankle injury for half the season

Do you really believe his coaching would have won those close games with a starting QB whose hand was broken and couldn’t throw the ball and the backup QB out with an ankle injury for half the season
Brian Daboll? Yes, he significantly better at winning with the hand you're dealt than GS is.

ADVERTISEMENT