ADVERTISEMENT

I just went back and read the forum after UMass game

The team deserves to be lauded and I think will take that victory lap.
So

i am.

Zap-

Of course they do. I love this team. This isn’t that thread though. This is about the OP cherry-picking a low point of the year to call out fans.

They actually played well in the 1st half and collapsed late. Showed some positive signs if you were watching.

But it is like the guys who wanted Schiano fired in 2004. They shouted from the rooftops. 2 years later, all was forgotten. Then they came out of the woodwork later in his term with the never won the Big East crap. You lose creditability, or should, when you make stupid comments like Pike should be fired or they don't run an offense. Be better than that. No need to call people out but it is almost like some forget what they wrote.

Reactions: TRU2RU
@mugrat86 - I understand your complaint (fans that overreact and criticize team) etc

however your point was dead in the water from the start since you brought up a point in the season when the criticisms were NOT an over reaction.

RU fans (all fans not just those who overreact) had very legitimate reasons to be very concerned and VERY critical at that point in the season.

Last edited:
W

@mugrat86 - I understand your complaint (fans that overreact and criticize team) etc

however your point was dead in the water from the start since you brought up a point in the season when the criticisms were NOT an over reaction.

RU fans (all fans not just those who overreact) had very legitimate reasons to be very concerned and VERY critical at that point in the season.
Very fair. I think what set so many half glass full people off were the - fire Pike, this team suck, Geo sucks, Pike lied, this team won’t win 1 Big Ten game and so on people. Being critical or being upset is a reasonable after 3 straight losses to sub par teams.

Reactions: Scangg and mugrat86
Very fair. I think what set so many half glass full people off were the - fire Pike, this team suck, Geo sucks, Pike lied, this team won’t win 1 Big Ten game and so on people. Being critical or being upset is a reasonable after 3 straight losses to sub par teams.
There’s no way Pike lied, he believed this was his best team.
It’s completely strange and crazy this team played so poorly early, Pike never saw that coming.
Nobody saw that coming!
As it turns out, both teams at their best, this team beats last years team in a barn burner I think.

I don’t know what I said or didn’t say.

This is a different team with a different rotation. Pike made the adjustment and put a few guys out of the rotation and significantly reduced minutes for another.

I guess the childish bitching and attaching players, coaches, and RU shows one's do or die loyalty to RU ,especially when it's down and is an acceptable trait.Don't we all relish having fiends like that.
The ignore button helps here. While this site can be an interesting place to discuss basketball and fandom etc life is too short to read repetitive posts from the really insufferable, dopey miserable types. I mean I wouldn’t choose to spend my time speaking to some folks in person why on earth would I waste time reading their constant drivel?

The team played poorly and many fans acted poorly. Some act like that all of the time and deserve to be chastised. Others just need to bite their tongue when pissed but they are still great fans.

Our team needs to learn how to be perfect on every possession. That would solve everyone’s problems here on the board.😎

Reactions: mugrat86
I think my definition of a fan is different than others. That’s all. It’s ok to be upset at what you are watching, but some of the comments made are truly classless and uncalled for. The thing that burns me the most is fans who encourage guys like Cliff to transfer.

I think my definition of a fan is different than others. That’s all. It’s ok to be upset at what you are watching, but some of the comments made are truly classless and uncalled for. The thing that burns me the most is fans who encourage guys like Cliff to transfer.
People telling Cliff to transfer are just angry and immature people. This contingent are definitely the minority even though it doesn’t seem that way sometimes. Especially after losses. The ignore button works wonders if you want to enjoy this board.

Reactions: patk89
I don’t disagree with your definition but we can’t change them. Some people are full of Piss and vinegar. They’re still fans.

Our team needs to learn how to be perfect on every possession. That would solve everyone’s problems here on the board.😎
Actually being better at valuing the ball, every possession would be huge benefit. Nothing wrong with driving for perfection. Expecting it? well that's a different story. 👍 :Hammer Nails:

Good post, OP.

Some of our "fans" were absolutely posting extremely toxic comments that trashed our coach and some of our players. Regardless of any bad loss, it was totally classless and totally uncalled-for.

Sure, a certain amount of fan grumbling and whining after bad losses is to be expected. But there's no valid excuse for fans to behave like spoiled children who had their desert taken away when the team has a bad game, throwing online versions of temper tantrums in which they excoriated the coach or team.

In particular, people were whining about how Pike "lied" to them about how good the team was. First, how good any team is at least partially a matter of opinion - calling it lie was asinine. Second, Pike and his staff have a much more detailed view of the team than most fans, seeing them in practices and so forth, so they could clearly see stuff that wasn't showing up quite yet in games. Third, the team hit a shooting slump early in the season, and was integrating new players - developing chemistry early on, that was having a massive effect in games, but they got past that and their quality started showing through.

And finally, in the end, the results have been good enough already (dance or not) to support a valid argument that this team has been one of, if not the, best teams Pike has coached. It's subjective, so people can argue the point. But it has certainly been one of the most exciting to watch at times. Perfect? No. But Pike didn't ever say the team was perfect.

And it's beyond clear that Pike wasn't lying to anybody. Accusing him of that was a totally classless, especially given how classy and straight-forward a guy Pike has demonstrated himself to be.

There’s no way Pike lied, he believed this was his best team.
It’s completely strange and crazy this team played so poorly early, Pike never saw that coming.
Nobody saw that coming!
As it turns out, both teams at their best, this team beats last years team in a barn burner I think.
I believe it was coachspeak. Plus he told me Hyatt right after saying that.

And there are a lot of so called experts on this board who have a lot of egg on their face
Post a link to the UMASS thread so we can read it and come to our own conclusions.

If madchuck participated in the thread it will be worth the read.

Post a link to the UMASS thread so we can read it and come to our own conclusions.

If madchuck participated in the thread it will be worth the read.
I don’t feel like doing that but many of the posters were similar to the ones who criticized the post. Like I mentioned, the real asses are the ones who encouraged Cliff and Paul to transfer

Reactions: Knightmoves
I don’t feel like doing that but many of the posters were similar to the ones who criticized the post. Like I mentioned, the real asses are the ones who encouraged Cliff and Paul to transfer
Posters who encourage our players to transfer are not RU fans.

There is a difference between objectively evaluating the team and its poor play early and the Pike sucks fire him, waste of scholarship, everyone is transferring type comments.

Some, not all, are trying revisionist history here and placing themselves in the logical fair criticism camp

Reactions: mugrat86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT