ADVERTISEMENT

I think Chris Ash is the Best X's and O's Coach we've ever had

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
The guy can flat out coach and develop talent. Thats pretty evident in Ohio States defensive improvement, what he was able to do in Ohio States Bowl Game to stifle NDs offense, and how he's pushing our kids during spring ball to be the best they can be. On the otherhand, he doesn't seem to be the consummate salesman that Schiano seemed to be, though I do hope he is able to #raisethelevel of recruiting, in our upcoming class.

Nevertheless, Ash would coach rings around Schiano on gameday. My early read on him, is that he's our Doug Marrone.

I hope Al is right... but can we let him coach a few games here first? And I am hoping he's better than Doug Marrone.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
I have all the confidence in the world that Ash will succeed, but will wait till I see how his teams play before crowing him the greatest there is, the greatest there ever was and the greatest there ever will be.

As for recruiting, CA needs time to prove how good he can be and right now he hasn't had enough time to show he can bring in the top JHS talent RU needs to become a top B1G program.
Also HC Ash and his staff need to be given time to prove they can supply the depth needed by developing enough of the recruits that commit to RU FB into the type of players that ( if not starters) provide quality depth at the position they play.

Schiano was a program builder. He spoke of winning championships and built a foundation.

Ash is a football coach. He knows what it takes to get program to next level.

In 2000, schianos skill set was more valuable to RU. Today, Ash is more valuable.

He will get it done.

The three NJ linemen Ash signed late in the game this year all possess the physical attributes he's looking for...athleticism and the ability to get downfield.
Your thoughts?

I think the kids you're referring too are solid projects. Can they eventually crack the line-up, sure they can. But I see them as solid #2's.

However, what's needed are dynamic players in the trenches. Those guys are not easily found, and when you do find them, everyone wants them.

The three NJ linemen Ash signed late in the game this year all possess the physical attributes he's looking for...athleticism and the ability to get downfield.
Your thoughts?

Get me lineman with good footwork for this offense who can into hole and crash a linebacker. That is who will thrive in this offense. And they might not always be four Star players

I'm very excited to have Ash as Rutgers Head Coach. But lets not start pissing on the legacies of Bateman, Burns and Schiano. Let him Coach a few seasons before declaring him the greatest

I think the kids you're referring too are solid projects. Can they eventually crack the line-up, sure they can. But I see them as solid #2's.

However, what's needed are dynamic players in the trenches. Those guys are not easily found, and when you do find them, everyone wants them.
So I'm guessing Zap is agreeing with Schiano's often stated preference if you can't get the guys that are both big and fast, because they are rare, he'd take fast over big.Are we seeing any suggestion that Ash thinks differently? I'm fine if he does, I just don't know. Playing in the Big East you might make the case that was the way to go but in the B1G perhaps size is a priority. I don't think that is the case necessarily and anecdotally the days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust are fading even in the B1G. Though I'm among the minority that actually like that brand of football I understand the game and time is passing me by. As much as I would love some road graders if nimble and fast is more important, I 'm ok with that.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I guess we should expect a write up on another schools board explaining why Ash is one of the greatest X's and O's guys in the world and how we will win 7 NC's in the next 5 years. Yeah, the AL guy is back on board, let the madness begin.

I knew it wouldn't be long before he returned to his usual role.

The guy can flat out coach and develop talent. Thats pretty evident in Ohio States defensive improvement, what he was able to do in Ohio States Bowl Game to stifle NDs offense, and how he's pushing our kids during spring ball to be the best they can be. On the otherhand, he doesn't seem to be the consummate salesman that Schiano seemed to be, though I do hope he is able to #raisethelevel of recruiting, in our upcoming class.

Nevertheless, Ash would coach rings around Schiano on gameday. My early read on him, is that he's our Doug Marrone.

Wasn't you the same person who hated this hired and felt it doomed Rutgers Football? There are tons of posts and threads that you made bashing Ash. Anyone can go ahead and search for them.

So what changed your mind?

Notre Dame scored more against Ohio St. than they did against Boston College and Temple, and the same amount as they scored against Wake Forest. Ohio St. had way, way, way more talent than any of those teams.

So I'm guessing Zap is agreeing with Schiano's often stated preference if you can't get the guys that are both big and fast, because they are rare, he'd take fast over big.Are we seeing any suggestion that Ash thinks differently? I'm fine if he does, I just don't know. Playing in the Big East you might make the case that was the way to go but in the B1G perhaps size is a priority. I don't think that is the case necessarily and anecdotally the days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust are fading even in the B1G. Though I'm among the minority that actually like that brand of football I understand the game and time is passing me by. As much as I would love some road graders if nimble and fast is more important, I 'm ok with that.

Schiano is not a good enough coach to try to redefine line play. That's why his ass is working as an assistant, and almost all of the guys that worked for him are on the streets looking for work.

This idea that Schiano figured out the formula for using small quick guys against bigger guys is ridiculous.

Chip Kelly correctly said that Big Guys Beat up Little Guys. It's really that simple.

the better question is, Who plays better with an injury? The Small Guy or the Big Guy.

Last edited:
OK I'll bite. Even though he was before my time I'd have to say Burns is the best coach in RU football history. Schiano built the program to a consistent, competitive FBS level and should be canonized for doing so given where we were but IMO he was not a consistently good X's and O's coach save for a few spots here and there (second half of UL 2006 being one of those spots). Schiano made some splashes in the recruiting game but give me the X's and O's guy who can get the most out of what he has and let recruiting come to him than the other way around. I'm one who happens to think good coaches don't learn to be good X's and O's guys on the job but winning/looking competitive on the field can lead to improved recruiting. Besides, I wouldn't write off Ash's recruiting just yet. He hasn't even signed his own full class yet (please don't say 2016...he was here for two months).

even before he coaches his first game as head coach, Al proclaims him the best we ever had...

I believe in Ash, but it's kinda ridiculous (and back to the Al we all know) to say something like this.

Theses Al threads are the internet version of Foster Brooks. Funny for a while but the same old tired act after a while.

It's a nice change after Al saying what a mistake hiring him was only 3 months ago. I guess all the outstanding play calling in games we've seen has changed his mind.

o_O

It appears he's moved on much to Mario's dismay.

Notre Dame scored more against Ohio St. than they did against Boston College and Temple, and the same amount as they scored against Wake Forest. Ohio St. had way, way, way more talent than any of those teams.
Osu had there three top DL out or the game. One was injured, one suspended, and one got kicked out. I was at the game...it was never in doubt. Osu had their way with ND

Umm -- he hasn't coached a game yet. Will wait until we see what is produced on field this fall. I just want a highly competitive team.

Reactions: RU31trap
I can't wait for Ash to bring home the Lombardi Trophy next season!

[cheers][cheers][cheers]
We need to put a ban on posting more than one of the beer toasting emoji next to each other in a post. If you stare at them, it has a hypnotic effect. I stared at them and then moments later, woke from a daze and caught myself making out a giant check to the Hari Krishnas.

Wasn't you the same person who hated this hired and felt it doomed Rutgers Football? There are tons of posts and threads that you made bashing Ash. Anyone can go ahead and search for them.

So what changed your mind?
Let him go. He's on a roll.

I like what I am hearing and seeing from Chris Ash and his staff, but I will wait until they play a few games before I crown him as a top ten X's and O's guy.

Reactions: madchuck
I have all the confidence in the world that Ash will succeed, but will wait till I see how his teams play before crowing him the greatest there is, the greatest there ever was and the greatest there ever will be.

As for recruiting, CA needs time to prove how good he can be and right now he hasn't had enough time to show he can bring in the top JHS talent RU needs to become a top B1G program.
Also HC Ash and his staff need to be given time to prove they can supply the depth needed by developing enough of the recruits that commit to RU FB into the type of players that ( if not starters) provide quality depth at the position they play.

I'm very excited to have Ash as Rutgers Head Coach. But lets not start pissing on the legacies of Bateman, Burns and Schiano. Let him Coach a few seasons before declaring him the greatest

Well said.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wow. Ash hasn't ever coached a game. And already Al is proclaiming him a better X's and O's coach than Frank Burns or George Foster Sanford. I would love for Ash to prove himself as the best X's and O's coach ever at Rutgers, but those are some pretty big shoes to fill.

even before he coaches his first game as head coach, Al proclaims him the best we ever had...

I believe in Ash, but it's kinda ridiculous (and back to the Al we all know) to say something like this.

Don't know how far back you want to go but as far as x's and o's and overall coaching nobody beats Frank Burns. He did more with less than one can ever imagine and did film and player evaluation for the Cowboys after he stopped coaching at Rutgers. If Ash can come close to what Burns did then he will be a legend.

Don't know how far back you want to go but as far as x's and o's and overall coaching nobody beats Frank Burns. He did more with less than one can ever imagine and did film and player evaluation for the Cowboys after he stopped coaching at Rutgers. If Ash can come close to what Burns did then he will be a legend.
As I said above that this thread is terrible as you are proclaiming that Ash is the best but has done nothing yet and people give no credit to Bateman, Burns and Schiano. For that matter, as disturbing as this statement is, Flood has more wins than Ash and it will take years to pass that miserable HC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT