ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God amateur hour is over

Boogs

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Time will tell how successful both Ash and Hobbs will be, but at least we now have a fighting chance. For all of the Flood supporters, can anyone really not see that this is a major upgrade? It's like, Yes, we can have nice things! We don't need to stay at the kids table. Thank you Barchi, but what took you so long to see the light?

Jesus Christ guys...let it go. Yes he appears to be a major upgrade now let's win some games and see what happens. He has tremendous upside but he is a first time HC and he could end up sucking. Do you think Florida fans though Mushcamp would suck and LOSE to a 1AA team? How about Weiss at ND? Lots of can't miss guys and great coordinators ended up with losing HC records.

Time will tell how successful both Ash and Hobbs will be, but at least we now have a fighting chance. For all of the Flood supporters, can anyone really not see that this is a major upgrade? It's like, Yes, we can have nice things! We don't need to stay at the kids table. Thank you Barchi, but what took you so long to see the light?
Flood is gone. You really need to move on.

And speaking of amateurs....our new coach just hired a 28 yo OC....

Drew is another Ohio State guy. I would take Drew over what you had previously at OC! He also comes well recommended by Urban Meyer and Tom Herman.

Over?
Amateur hour is just beginning. 28 yr old OC is just the start. Can't wait to see who we fill the rest of the staff with.

Same ol BS, just packaged differently.

We're definitely not planning to compete right away with the best. This hire signals it's a rebuild job.

Over?
Amateur hour is just beginning. 28 yr old OC is just the start. Can't wait to see who we fill the rest of the staff with.

We're definitely not planning to compete right away with the best. This hire signals it's a rebuild job.
animated-smileys-surprised-007.gif

Over?

I'm so happy that you're not happy, it's a clear sign that things are getting better.

I'm so happy that you're not happy, it's a clear sign that things are getting better.

Why does that signal that to you? What makes you think our 28 yr old OC is ready to match wits with Greg Schiano, Bob Shoop, and Mark Dantonio. I want to understand your train of thought.

Reactions: RU31trap
Over?

Al, either a guy has it or he doesn't. Remember, it's the Gary's of the world, even with their wealth of experience, who have to figure out the new kinds of offenses. Our new OC learned from the best of the best with Urban Meyer and Tom Herman. If I'm going to roll the dice, I would rather go with someone like this who KNOWS this kind of offense over a so called experienced hire who has had to learn it over the last five years. I think it's worth the risk.

Over?

Al, is that how you feel on our Head Coach hire as well ? I've never heard you so down.

Lol, if we got the Fordham guy and PSU got our guy, some folks on here would be jumping off bridges.

Well a guy who coached at Fordham and Connecticut vs. a guy who coached at Houston and Ohio State. Now you tell me who you'd want?

If rutgersal will stop posting his drivel, this coaching change was the greatest event ever!

Over?

OK, now I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with the new staff.

Reactions: rsutton86
He is starting off relatively well, but whether we upgraded or not won't be known for sure until we see how next season evolves. Not expecting large number of Ws, but expecting fight in every single game.

Over?

who hijacked his account?!

Drew is another Ohio State guy. I would take Drew over what you had previously at OC! He also comes well recommended by Urban Meyer and Tom Herman.

OSU fans are spoiled with success. We've had consistent failure...that breeds skepticism. Our previous OC was also young and inexperienced , but he trained under a former Denver Broncos HC and current NE OC who has a Super Bowl ring covering each knuckle. He also had a year of tutelage under experienced offensive mind, Ralph Friedgen. The result? Abject failure.

Impressive pedigree doesn't guarantee success. And to be honest, I've never coached a down of football in my life, yet I think I could coach the OSU offense to at least 4 wins next year. Success at Rutgers is a different animal.

Reactions: koleszar
I think people are very justified to be a bit nervous about this situation. With this hire you have a defensive minded first time head coach, and a young position coach moving up to be OC. These guys are certainly rising stars, but this is clearly a high risk situation. No one knows how it will work out. I am an optimist by nature, but to not acknowledge the risk would be dishonest, and naive.

Ash was likely ready to take the next step. Moving directly to HC at a Big Ten school is a significant jump, so there is still significant risk involved. He may or may not be capable of being an HC. Plenty of hot P5 coordinators flame out at the AAC/MAC level. Ash is being thrown into the fire of the best coached division in college football. While his promotion is probably appropriate, it is absolutely higher risk.

Many, myself included, were hoping to back fill his inexperience with a former HC at OC. Someone with some experience running a team to help Ash grow into his role. Instead, we have doubled down, hiring a position coach from an AAC team to be our OC. That is extremely high risk, and by any measure he is skipping a few rungs on the career ladder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT