ADVERTISEMENT

I think Chris Ash is the Best X's and O's Coach we've ever had

This thread is just an absurd waste of time. Can he coach ONE game before you go off the deep end? Can he come from behind at the half ONE time? Can he pull off ONE upset?

I am optimistic, even excited, but it is March. Frank Burns' place remains safe.

The guy can flat out coach and develop talent. Thats pretty evident in Ohio States defensive improvement, what he was able to do in Ohio States Bowl Game to stifle NDs offense, and how he's pushing our kids during spring ball to be the best they can be. On the otherhand, he doesn't seem to be the consummate salesman that Schiano seemed to be, though I do hope he is able to #raisethelevel of recruiting, in our upcoming class.

Nevertheless, Ash would coach rings around Schiano on gameday. My early read on him, is that he's our Doug Marrone.

I would have preferred Golden.

Reactions: rutgersal
Don't know how far back you want to go but as far as x's and o's and overall coaching nobody beats Frank Burns. He did more with less than one can ever imagine and did film and player evaluation for the Cowboys after he stopped coaching at Rutgers. If Ash can come close to what Burns did then he will be a legend.

I understand that people have a lot of affinity for Frank Burns, but that was a different time, a different era, and a different level of competition. For what he had to work with, Frank Burns did great.

Ash has a National Championship ring and a BCS Bowl ring, and was an integral part of what Ohio State was able to accomplish these past few years. Granted part of that was due to having access to the best infrastructure and the best players, but I think that is also due to the level of intensity he brings to the table, which helps his players to perform at a Championship Caliber level.

Quite a turnaround from when you were claiming this is a total rebuild job and it's still amateur hour.

"Over?
Amateur hour is just beginning. 28 yr old OC is just the start. Can't wait to see who we fill the rest of the staff with.

Same ol BS, just packaged differently.

We're definitely not planning to compete right away with the best. This hire signals it's a rebuild job.

9 rutgersal, Dec 13, 2015"

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/thank-god-amateur-hour-is-over.60347/

There is no inconsistency between what I previously posted and what is in the original post here.
We have a strong head coach, but some of the staff, including the OC and the OL coach, will be in their roles for the first time. There will likely be learning curves involved, and while I'm hoping for the best, there is also a possibility that there will be growing pains.

Furthermore, going from Fridge two years ago to a rookie OC this year gives me trepidation. But nevertheless, I've been following Mehringer on Twitter, and appreciate his enthusiasm, and hope he does well.

The guy can flat out coach and develop talent. Thats pretty evident in Ohio States defensive improvement, what he was able to do in Ohio States Bowl Game to stifle NDs offense, and how he's pushing our kids during spring ball to be the best they can be. On the otherhand, he doesn't seem to be the consummate salesman that Schiano seemed to be, though I do hope he is able to #raisethelevel of recruiting, in our upcoming class.

Nevertheless, Ash would coach rings around Schiano on gameday. My early read on him, is that he's our Doug Marrone.
Haha

Lol

Reactions: soundcrib
Could this be the WRONGEST OP ever posted to TKR?!? Besides the myriad of ridiculous “upset alerts”

Reactions: FrankZ
Not a fan of people who pull up old all threads but @rutgersal needs to explain this one. Whiff of the century.
Agree...
Schiano was a program builder. He spoke of winning championships and built a foundation.

Ash is a football coach. He knows what it takes to get program to next level.

In 2000, schianos skill set was more valuable to RU. Today, Ash is more valuable.

He will get it done.
:Okay

Can we re-open all the threads that were locked when anyone criticized Ash. It was as if we finally got a great up and coming coach and no one should be saying anything negative. Hopefully the moderators learned a lesson from that one.

This is so embarrassing for all of you.
I never liked ash from the beginning.
Thought he was a horrible hire from the get go.
Probably tied with Shea for the worst coach in Rutgers Football History.
And, some of you were the same ones who didn’t want Schiano to return!!! SMH

Reactions: madchuck
Can we re-open all the threads that were locked when anyone criticized Ash. It was as if we finally got a great up and coming coach and no one should be saying anything negative. Hopefully the moderators learned a lesson from that one.

I took so much shit for criticizing Ash. Now the same people who talked about how good Ash was and had pitchforks for anyone who said anything negative about him still post like they know what they're talking about. If you mention anything about Ash "Ash isn't here anymore ... move on." Or they pretend like they never acted like he was the greatest thing in the world. I really like Schiano, he was my #1 choice. But some of these people now act like he's some infallible diety and anyone who transferred out of the program, no matter what the mods say, was "given the talk." It's comical.

Wow this post aged like a fine milk.

giphy.gif

For the record I was Looking back to fine threads about Micah Clark and Jamaal Beatty because I know the narrative at the time was that Beatty only got an offer in consideration for Micah coming, and that he was never going to be expected to see the field.

The narrative was changing in the transfer thread yesterday that this is some kind of loss and that he would have been our 2nd best IL in this class, which is bs (it better be).

For the record I was Looking back to fine threads about Micah Clark and Jamaal Beatty because I know the narrative at the time was that Beatty only got an offer in consideration for Micah coming, and that he was never going to be expected to see the field.

The narrative was changing in the transfer thread yesterday that this is some kind of loss and that he would have been our 2nd best IL in this class, which is bs (it better be).
It was worth the gamble I guess, but just like most everything Ash ever did, it resulted in complete and absolute failure.

I did a deep dive in the archives during the Schiano hire mass hysteria because there was a lot of claims about who supported what candidate back when Ash was hired.

The end result was that Ash was NOT a consensus candidate. He was pr-announced and THEN people began to support the hire. And there was criticism too.. of course. The expected.. "never a head coach".. not an offensive mind.. no Jersey ties.. etc. But people wanted to show support for the new guy.

But then you have guys like Al who went way too far. In retrospect, it should have been easy to see that the Co-DC thing at OSU likely meant Luke Fickell was the real brain behind that defense and moving Ash out was something Meyer did not care about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT