ADVERTISEMENT

If Hobbs Doesn't Hire Schiano

“I think 99% of coaches not named Meyer or Saban will fail horribly, just like Ash.”

This is the firm belief of the Schiano only group. The rest don’t believe it.

But what if Greg goes somewhere else? Sounds like we’re screwed!

“I think 99% of coaches not named Meyer or Saban will fail horribly, just like Ash.”

ahhhh... the good ol RU screw!!!!

Nope, I’m not sure how he’d be received elsewhere... here he was like Tony Soprano in presence.
And yes, I firmly believe 99% of coaches would want to hang them selves for taking this job

and I think 99% of coaches not named Meyer or Saban will fail horribly, just like Ash.
I agree that it's more likely our next coach will fail than not. I just don't see any reason why lots of the coaches people are discussing today wouldn't have matched, or exceeded, Schiano's success back in the 11 years Schiano was here.

That was then. This is now. We don't need someone to negotiate university politics or get a stadium built. Recruiting will be a huge battle for any new coach w/out a marquee name. And nobody has shown a logical reason Schiano has any advantage over any of the other coaches people like for the job. Just nostalgic reasons.

I agree that it's more likely our next coach will fail than not. I just don't see any reason why lots of the coaches people are discussing today wouldn't have matched, or exceeded, Schiano's success back in the 11 years Schiano was here.

That was then. This is now. We don't need someone to negotiate university politics or get a stadium built. Recruiting will be a huge battle for any new coach w/out a marquee name. And nobody has shown a logical reason Schiano has any advantage over any of the other coaches people like for the job. Just nostalgic reasons.
This is the entire argument...I think GS has enormous advantages simply because he’s done it here before.
By done it, I mean turned the program around.
We’re in a far deeper hole today personnel, talent and depth wise than we were in 2001.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Guys, It's not Schiano fans... I'm a Rutgers fan since I went to grad school in the 80's and been a fan since the Anderson days. Credible data points, At least half the fan base, ex players, sciano has heavy rutgers resumes but he was at Penn State, Chicago Bears, Miami DC NFL head coach, Ohio State DC and is a Jersey Guy.. He values discipline. He is a Jersey guy. He knows Rutgers. Many NJ coaches know and more respect him. Some say they don't like him? He is a proven program builder. He values Rutgers history, building respect for former players on the sidelines/welcomed to the program. If he doesn't want the job fine. This other conversation is for 5 years out when he wants to step away and we bring in his successor. Not now. Guys we have only one more chance here.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Guys, It's not Schiano fans... I'm a Rutgers fan since I went to grad school in the 80's and been a fan since the Anderson days. Credible data points, At least half the fan base, ex players, sciano has heavy rutgers resumes but he was at Penn State, Chicago Bears, Miami DC NFL head coach, Ohio State DC and is a Jersey Guy.. He values discipline. He is a Jersey guy. He knows Rutgers. Many NJ coaches know and more respect him. Some say they don't like him? He is a proven program builder. He values Rutgers history, building respect for former players on the sidelines/welcomed to the program. If he doesn't want the job fine. This other conversation is for 5 years out when he wants to step away and we bring in his successor. Not now. Guys we have only one more chance here.

EXactly!!!!!!! Why messing around? Get it down!

DING DING.. we have a winner!

I skipped every response to the OP because it's an absurd premise. Guess what? There's no guarantee Schiano would be a home run. He is not some kind of default option. He didn't work out in Tampa Bay, his defensive coordinator work at Ohio State was not exactly stellar, and he's 20 years older (wiser, perhaps, but as energetic?) than he was the first time. A first time that was remarkable for a while considering what he walked into, but it's not as if he won two conference titles and built upon that amazing 2006, which, again, was built on a couple of guys who bailed on another school when it fired the coach.
The athletic department has to answer for any hire that does not work out. Period. There is no need to answer "Why not Schiano?" He doesn't have some bizarre divine right to the job. If they get this wrong, it is independent of why they didn't bring back Schiano. This is not the president or AD who hired him and they owe him nothing.
And if you people are Schiano fans and not Rutgers fans, just leave now and stop wasting our time.

No guarantees in anyone that will be hired. Some more risky than others???. We argue he is the sane and logical choice. Again, this s all assuming he wants the job. Maybe he doesn't...

No one is saying he has a divine right... He is the best candidate for the shambles the program is in now. The expanded list does makes sense for the near future (5 years). Please don't question our oyalty to Rutgers, everyone here bleeds scarlet. Most outsiders think we all are nuts or delusional to be the fans we are. The Schiano camp believes he is the right choice to get the foundation rebuilt and on the right course. then we can decide to go further.

I'll say this ... if Hobbs doesn't hire Schiano, and he doesn't realize right now that the first question he will be asked at the press conference to introduce the next coach is, "Why didn't you hire Schiano?" ... then he's an idiot. The local media will try to drive a wedge the instant the new hire is announced.
If we have any real journalist covering the team, the first question asked of Hobbs should be "what qualities made _____ stand out from all the other candidates". Not reporters acting like a bunch of butt hurt fanboys whose heart throb didn't get picked.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
How about Trump? So he can’t coach but he draws crowds and wouldn’t cost much. Easy to replace by Jersey Dems.

I skipped every response to the OP because it's an absurd premise. Guess what? There's no guarantee Schiano would be a home run. He is not some kind of default option. He didn't work out in Tampa Bay, his defensive coordinator work at Ohio State was not exactly stellar, and he's 20 years older (wiser, perhaps, but as energetic?) than he was the first time. A first time that was remarkable for a while considering what he walked into, but it's not as if he won two conference titles and built upon that amazing 2006, which, again, was built on a couple of guys who bailed on another school when it fired the coach.
The athletic department has to answer for any hire that does not work out. Period. There is no need to answer "Why not Schiano?" He doesn't have some bizarre divine right to the job. If they get this wrong, it is independent of why they didn't bring back Schiano. This is not the president or AD who hired him and they owe him nothing.
And if you people are Schiano fans and not Rutgers fans, just leave now and stop wasting our time.
Exactly.

If the best we can get, measured objectively, is Schiano, then so be it. But I do not agree w/people who think his 11 year results at RU in the past equates to guaranteed success today. I think there are some pretty big red flags to be concerned about from back then as well as more recently.

A Schiano-led defense full some of the best talent in the NCAA gave up 50 points to a bad Maryland team. What makes anybody think that's not going to happen even more often w/an RU team that has nowhere near the depth of talent Ohio State had in that 50 point debacle?

Reactions: TRU2RU
I believe that Greg Schiano is the only choice at this moment if he can be hired. He will bring immediate stability to the program. He can recruit well in NJ better than any other choice. He will be able to retain current recruits. Now I also believe he may not be the best choice 4 or 5 years from now if he still has the wtf games like his history here at times. If that is the case we will need a new coach at that time.

Reactions: zappaa
Most outsiders think we all are nuts or delusional to be the fans we are.
Pretty sure most outsiders don't think about RU fans at all. How much time to you spend thinking about the fans of all the other football programs?

If we have any real journalist covering the team, the first question asked of Hobbs should be "what qualities made _____ stand out from all the other candidates". Not reporters acting like a bunch of butt hurt fanboys whose heart throb didn't get picked.

We don't have any ... and the first question will be the one I suggested. And it won't be because they are butt hurt or fanboys. It will be because they hate the school and intentionally try to cause strife at every opportunity; and that will be the best way to cause strife.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
We don't have any ... and the first question will be the one I suggested. And it won't be because they are butt hurt or fanboys. It will be because they hate the school and intentionally try to cause strife at every opportunity; and that will be the best way to cause strife.
You are so right. When it comes to Rutgers the local reporters are always on "The Hunt".

And hires someone who is not obviously a homerun he will need to explain why he didn't hire Schiano if he expects Schiano fans to return. I am certain that he will never explain why he didn't hire Schiano.

The only acceptable reasonsor not hiring GS are that GS had no interest or that he was demanding an outrageous salary. We will need specifics on that.

The only name I can think of who could top GS is Urban, which obviously is not happening. Jones won't do it. All the rest just won't bring me back unless they prove they can turn this nightmare around quickly.

If not Schiano it seems that i will be in the fire Hobbs camp even though I am fully aware that that won't happen unless this next hire fails.

No matter who Hobbs hires, he is dead meat if the new coach doesn't succeed, rather it be Schiano or me.

That’s ridiculous, “Schiano fans and not Rutgers fans”
Nobody would be talking about Schiano if weren’t a shit show of incompetence on both sides of the ball.
And where do you get this “homerun” crap from.
We’re talking about giving us an identity and getting us off of Joke St.
There’s no doubt in my mind he could accomplish that... he’s already done it here

Reactions: rutgersal

Plenty of people have showed why Schiano is superior to the other choices. You just choose to ignore the valid reasons.

He FILLED Rutgers Stadium. He recruited great players TO RUTGERS! He has a history of success AT RUTGERS! He built a Big Ten Competitive Teams, AT RUTGERS!

These are accomplishments no other candidate can match.

Evidence suggests Greg will get eaten alive in the B10. Their's no gimmie victories - that his gameday coaching can fall back on. He is available for a reason.. No one wants a head coach who gets blown out by Uconn, and beating by 4-8 Tulane teams
Evidence suggests GS reversed this program once and he can do it again.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Evidence suggests Greg will get eaten alive in the B10. Their's no gimmie victories - that his gameday coaching can fall back on. He is available for a reason.. No one wants a head coach who gets blown out by Uconn, and beating by 4-8 Tulane teams

Interesting, the Tampa Bay Bucs, Ohio State and the U of Tennessee did.

Why does everyone assume getting Schiano means you get the exact same guy as ten years ago who lost a few WTF games in his time here? Does anyone not realize time has passed? Greg is more learned, experienced and knowledgable now. Do people not learn?

I see no evidence to suggest Greg can't at least regularly beat Maryland, Indiana, Illinois and the like. He beat the crap out of teams like that quite often when he was here. What's to say he won't be better? People do you know, get better at their craft over time and what we got the first time is the only time we ever made the step up to big boy football.

Why are people doing mental gymnastics to convince others Greg's success isn't the most success we've ever had here?

Easy answer, he did it here once he can do it again.
If you ask “did what” then we know you’re clueless

No matter who Hobbs hires, he is dead meat if the new coach doesn't succeed, rather it be Schiano or me.
I think that's probably true, with like 90% odds. I can imagine some scenarios where the new coach could ultimately fail, after five years or so, and not cause Hobbs to lose his job.

I guess it all depends on what one considers failure. If, after four seasons, the next coach peaks at 4 wins and we continue to suffer massive blow-outs, then Hobbs is gone.

If the next coach comes in with a very high HC winning percentage, including at a P5 school or two, has no off-field issues, and goes 2,4,5,4,6,5,5, then our season tix sales will falter and much of our fan-base, being human and thus never satisfied, will want the coach fired.

But in that later situation, it's kind of hard to reasonably pin that on Hobbs rather than on the difficulty of our competition. If Hobbs has done well fund-raising and so forth, then I wouldn't advocate for firing him. Would be stupid to fire him in that context, IMO.

This post is chock full of silliness. Schiano had top defenses 2 out of the three years he was at Ohio State. His third year, he had a plethora of new starters and lost his best player nick bosa, a top 5 player in the draft.
Yes, Tampa did not work out because he had no quarterback and terrible ownership. The fact that they havent won since shows that it was the organization, not Schiano. It will be a waste of our time if anyone but Schiano is hired.

That’s ridiculous, “Schiano fans and not Rutgers fans”
Nobody would be talking about Schiano if weren’t a shit show of incompetence on both sides of the ball.
And where do you get this “homerun” crap from.
We’re talking about giving us an identity and getting us off of Joke St.
There’s no doubt in my mind he could accomplish that... he’s already done it here
You would think Schiano's coaching of an Ohio State defense loaded with talent (that RU cannot come close to matching), and giving up 50 points to a weak Maryland team, would qualify as a shit show of incompetence and would give any objective person some reason for a bit of doubt.

This post is chock full of silliness. Schiano had top defenses 2 out of the three years he was at Ohio State. His third year, he had a plethora of new starters and lost his best player nick bosa, a top 5 player in the draft.
Yes, Tampa did not work out because he had no quarterback and terrible ownership. The fact that they havent won since shows that it was the organization, not Schiano. It will be a waste of our time if anyone but Schiano is hired.
The first two seasons were with Ash-recruited, Ash-trained players on D. And all coaches deal with new starters every season.

Stop with the lame excuses.

Nobody's saying Schiano isn't a good defensive coordinator. But there are some pretty obvious red flags there as well. The last thing we need to do with as important a hire as this next one is, is to pretend the negatives don't exist.

Plenty of people have showed why Schiano is superior to the other choices. You just choose to ignore the valid reasons.

He FILLED Rutgers Stadium. He recruited great players TO RUTGERS! He has a history of success AT RUTGERS! He built a Big Ten Competitive Teams, AT RUTGERS!

Nobody has showed why he is superior to all other choices. Don't be ridiculous.

Yes, he filled the stadium. Yes he recruited some great players. Those are definite pluses.

But his history of success at RU was only that of an average coach. Go read the top post of the St. Greg thread. The numbers do not lie.

Other coaches have recruited great players. Other coaches have filled stadiums. Some of those coaches didn't have the luxury of scheduling incredibly soft schedules to help accomplish those things.

You would think Schiano's coaching of an Ohio State defense loaded with talent (that RU cannot come close to matching), and giving up 50 points to a weak Maryland team, would qualify as a shit show of incompetence and would give any objective person some reason for a bit of doubt.
If you think Greg is an incompetent football coach, so be it.
If you tried to argue your point with coaching peers of his profession, you’d get embarrassed.

B10 is to strong for the caliber head coach that Greg is. He was getting torched by Purdue, Iowa, Maryland - with Urban Meyer's stacked defenses. All the blowouts he would endure, would be to much to overcome
You’re entitled to your opinion.
But of course you ignore all the other intangibles of the job that make him my choice

Why does everyone assume getting Schiano means you get the exact same guy as ten years ago who lost a few WTF games in his time here? Does anyone not realize time has passed? Greg is more learned, experienced and knowledgable now. Do people not learn?

I see no evidence to suggest Greg can't at least regularly beat Maryland, Indiana, Illinois and the like. He beat the crap out of teams like that quite often when he was here. What's to say he won't be better? People do you know, get better at their craft over time and what we got the first time is the only time we ever made the step up to big boy football.

Why are people doing mental gymnastics to convince others Greg's success isn't the most success we've ever had here?
Tennessee most certainly did not want him. The school not only withdrew the offer, they immediately fired the guy who extended the offer.

Ohio State most certainly did not want him as a head coach. Any Ohio State fan would laugh at you for even suggesting it. And we're not hiring a D coordinator. We're hiring a head coach.

As for no evidence Greg can regularly beat Maryland, how about his giving up 50 points on D to a weak Maryland team last season? And doing so with a roster of players that are two-deep with much better players than anybody he's going to have here. How is that not evidence?

Schiano would be an average coach for us, just like he was in the past. He was an above average program builder. But an average game-day coach. We need above average in every category if we can find it.

Reactions: realhoops2
Tennessee most certainly did not want him. The school not only withdrew the offer, they immediately fired the guy who extended the offer.

Ohio State most certainly did not want him as a head coach. Any Ohio State fan would laugh at you for even suggesting it. And we're not hiring a D coordinator. We're hiring a head coach.

As for no evidence Greg can regularly beat Maryland, how about his giving up 50 points on D to a weak Maryland team last season? And doing so with a roster of players that are two-deep with much better players than anybody he's going to have here. How is that not evidence?

Schiano would be an average coach for us, just like he was in the past. He was an above average program builder. But an average game-day coach. We need above average in every category if we can find it.
[roll]
:DeadHorse: :BeatDeadHorse:

If you think Greg is an incompetent football coach, so be it.
If you tried to argue your point with coaching peers of his profession, you’d get embarrassed.
I said that game was a shitshow of incompetence. Can you deny that? And it wasn't the only game where the Ohio State D got torched by teams with lesser athletes.

I never said Schiano himself was an incompetent football coach. I have maintained all along that, in terms of game day coaching, he's an average coach.

And if coaching peers thought he was so great, why is he unemployed right now? Why didn't Ohio State offer him the head coaching spot? Why did he get fired from Tampa Bay? Why did he spend so much time unemployed after Tampa Bay? Why did Tennessee withdraw their offer to him?

I'll tell you why. Because he's an average head coach with average numbers. I'd take him back, but only if we fail to land somebody above average.

I cited nothing but facts. And I would stop beating the horse with those facts if the Schiano's-the-second-coming-of-Christ horse would stop breathing.

He's an average coach with an average record who was never able to consistently beat really good competition and only went about .500 against average competition.

2 teams made the mistake of hiring him, and both regret it. Do you think Ohio St would welcome him back? And you said beat Maryland regularly.. Why would anyone believe that? Maryland put up 50 on his Ohio St defense. Mayland has legit talent and will probably upgrade at head coach again soon. It's more wishful - then reality - when it comes to Schiano. Absolutely nothing suggests - he got better as a coach. Actually them embarrassing performances at Ohio st - suggest he got even worse on gameday

Nobody has showed why he is superior to all other choices. Don't be ridiculous.

Yes, he filled the stadium. Yes he recruited some great players. Those are definite pluses.

But his history of success at RU was only that of an average coach. Go read the top post of the St. Greg thread. The numbers do not lie.

Other coaches have recruited great players. Other coaches have filled stadiums. Some of those coaches didn't have the luxury of scheduling incredibly soft schedules to help accomplish those things.

The irony is that you are being ridiculous. I know the guy. I know members of his staff.
Other coaches haven’t done those things AT RUTGERS!!!

That’s what you and others don’t get. The fact that Schiano was able to do these things, yet others could not, shows that Greg has extraordinary skills to get things done at Rutgers.

Just ignore @mildone - he's demonstrated multiple times that he's clueless about what Schiano accomplished here and he enjoys trolling people on this topic, as he apparently has more free time than anyone, ever.

He didn't start showing interest in RU football until 2006, so he has no sense of history of what RU fans lived through prior to then, which was worse, in many ways under Shea.

As most of us know, he didn't just execute a regular old "rebuild" which implies there was a program there before that was successful at one time - he built everything from facilities to academic support to an amazing stadium expansion to a team that was very successful once the program was built and he raised the talent level hugely (56-33/25-24 and 5 bowl wins from 2005-2011), all of which were critical to getting that B1G invite. Very very few people could've done that.

It's true that the next coach won't have to do all that, as the "program" is in place - we just need an infusion of talent and better coaches. But having done it here before, he's certainly more likely to get us back to respectable/good than most of the other candidate we hear about. And mildone's inability to recognize what Schiano accomplished in his first tour of duty is why he should be ignored on this topic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT