ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back 3 Schiano Players

Always thought Zuttah was the most important recruit because the OL stunk when he got there the first time.

1) Mike Teel. First and foremost we need a QB. The last 6 games of Teel’s career he provided the best QB play in the history of Rutgers Football. For the last 6 games (including in the Bowl game against NC State), Teel went 124/182 for 2,056 yards, 22 TDs and 6 Ints. That’s a 6-game average of 68% completion percentage, 343 yards, 3.7 TDs and 1 Int per game.

2) Rice

3) Britt

4) Anthony Davis (I’m changing the rules and adding a 4th).

McMahon never played for Schiano.
Yes I know McMahon never played for Schiano but he’s the QB type you win the B1G with...Teel would be number 2... Did that meet with your majesty’s approval.BTW: notice who I placed at # 3 Devin McCourty..

Interesting to see the comparison btw Britt and Caroo - i loved KB but think LC was more clutch.

But I would pick OL for all 3.

Reactions: winfield102
I have to cheat with 4, sorry...Zuttah - Best OL we have had. AD was the most natural but was never the leader of the OL. Zuttah was a pure beast and a very rare Strong, fast, smart and just nasty on the field.
Britt - usually the best player on the field for both teams. When a ball was in the air, he saw it this way- either I catch it or no one else does. Enjoyed blocking and laying out a defender if he had to.
Have to also sure up the OL with Haslam...Well, for no other reason besides being a great player and very smart on the field, but without him, you wouldnt have me as a great fan. But the forth is because there is no point to have 2 great OL, a GREAT WR and no one to throw to him. I debated a lot between Senior Teel or Senior Nova. Had to go with Teel. His Senior year was a thing of beauty after that 5th game.

Reactions: shields
Britt, Anthony Davis, Zuttah

Probably senior Nova can make a case to swap in there as well

Britt, Anthony Davis, Zuttah

Probably senior Nova can make a case to swap in there as well
I debated between Sr Nova and Sr Teel. The reason I went with Teel is that I felt that in his Sr year after that slow star, he may have very close to the best QB in college those last 6-7 games. Not saying he was but he was damn close to that good toward the end. The only advantage that Nova would have on this team is that in his final year, he could also tuck it and run.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Yes I know McMahon never played for Schiano but he’s the QB type you win the B1G with...Teel would be number 2... Did that meet with your majesty’s approval.BTW: notice who I placed at # 3 Devin McCourty..
Approval granted. OK now with the new rules I am now going with McMahon, Leonard, and Davis.
Can you imagine those 3 added to R team?

I debated between Sr Nova and Sr Teel. The reason I went with Teel is that I felt that in his Sr year after that slow star, he may have very close to the best QB in college those last 6-7 games. Not saying he was but he was damn close to that good toward the end. The only advantage that Nova would have on this team is that in his final year, he could also tuck it and run.

Agreed Mr. Haslam. See my post above. The last 6 games of Teel’s career is the best QB play we’ve even seen in 151 years of football on the Banks. If only he didn’t start off slow and the team went 1-5 to start, that team could have reached even greater heights than the 2006 team.

I'll approach this as filling some immediate needs.

Eric Foster is out, even though he was one of my favorite Rutgers players. RU looks solid on the interior D line.
Who didn't love the McCourty twins? Still, I think the secondary is not lacking in talent.
I argue that Mike McMahon is disqualified by the very nature of the exercise. He was a Shea recruit, and he could have been legendary with a good QB coach (ironic, I know, considering Shea "wrote the book" on being a quarterback). Under the new rules, which I reject, Shaun O'Hara would make my list.

1. Anthony Davis. The second-most important position on the offense.
2. Jeremy Zuttah. I would place him at center, where he played in the NFL, I think. He was one of the smartest players I have seen at Rutgers.
3. Willie Foster. Even though Rutgers ignored special teams the last eight years, and it will be tough to find a gap, that guy could exploit the smallest opening.

I think the current offensive line has performed relatively well in two weeks, so I'm not trying to blast them. I almost put Eric LeGrand in the three spot, and not for sentimental reasons. He would play anywhere and any time, and the guy had a nose for the football as a LB.

Thanks for reading my drivel. 😏

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
It's been so long, I almost forgot about all the great players we had. Thanks for the memories and here's to the future. 🍺
I just want to say I love your avatar. Regular Show was awesome! My sons and I would watch it together every week.

ha, it’s called tradition. Big part of college football.
Yeah, I'm, with you. Homer Hazel Award and all that. Why can't we revisit some glory years from time to time? I had the pleasure of meeting Alex Kroll at the College Football Hall of Fame dinner. Should we forget 1961, too?

The remarkable results ( all time leader if stays senior year) of rice are overlooked and we all know why. But he was an absolute no doubt game changer.

rice
Eric foster
Leonard ( just because)

Reactions: ashokan
Yeah, I'm, with you. Homer Hazel Award and all that. Why can't we revisit some glory years from time to time? I had the pleasure of meeting Alex Kroll at the College Football Hall of Fame dinner. Should we forget 1961, too?

we invented the game! Lol
I’ve always said we have the richest tradition in all of football because of that.
We need to right the wrong of how we’ve treated The First Game field. Need at minimum a proper memorial and maybe even create an awesome “Football Hall of Fame” at that spot.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
SO many good responses above... but we need more than 3. It does seem like we all recognize the need to help the offense.

Hard-pressed.. I'd say Rice, Davis, Zuttah... that's a legit running game right there. And any of our QBs could do something with that. I might swap Britt for Rice.. because Britt could block also.. and maybe our RBs would be good enough with Davis and Zuttah blocking..

Hey.. can I ask for Schiano players from Tampa Bay or Ohio State? Nick Bosa and Chase Young would make hella bookend DEs.

Last edited:
Who didn't love the McCourty twins? Still, I think the secondary is not lacking in talent.

McCourtys were great obviously. However they will tell you that they would have been lost without Ron Girault. He had good knowledge of the game, and knew how to keep guys in position and dialed-in. Greene also paid respects to Girault. The 2006 secondary was in top ten in nation - with a bunch of 2 stars who lived within 30 minutes of Tappan Zee Bridge. Schiano obviously coached them but guys like Giraut, Thompson, Meekins etc were very shrewd players. The defense was undersized but they were sharp. They couldn't always beat you head to head but when you made a mistake they could make you pay. They pulled some weak games out of the fire that way (UConn etc)

This is the answer.
Don’t need RBs and need one more elite WR to compliment Melton and Jones with Cru in the slot. The rest, definitely linemen
Could almost go with 3 OL but need to still have a WR and QB on this team. Melton looks to be a P5 WR this year but not a game changer. And if we had our top 3 OL ever, would who ever we had at QB be successful?
And the reason I skipped Rice, Leonard is because this team can win with the guys we have back there. The reason for no defense- well, same thing, we can win with this defense.

Approval granted. OK now with the new rules I am now going with McMahon, Leonard, and Davis.
Can you imagine those 3 added to R team?
Yes they would be very nice to add. All we can go by is during Greg’s first stint here we had at one time the most NFL players ( around 28 at one time) these continued into the Flood era.In Greg’s very first weekly radio interview the caller asked what would we need to get to the Top. Without hesitation he replied,” when we have 7-8 players in each class of NFL quality we can win Championships.” Think back to 2005 through 2007 there were plenty who went to the NFL and many more until he left 2011. 3-4 years to reach the B1G Championship game? Sign me up.

Rocket
Jourdan Brooks
Nate Robinson
Only you would insert garbage into a serious post regarding former players. Yes #1 and #3 failed completely. # 2 Brooks did play and BTW: was Jourdan the kid who was dragged down by the braids? Actually the defender ripped a braid out of his head? Stick with masks and politics .

For some of our newer fans, it was amazing watching Tom Savage as a freshman. Maybe somebody out there could put together a highlight reel. I go back as far as 1976 and I can’t remember a Freshman QB like him.
Savage looked the part from the time of his first spring game. Tall in the pocket ... great arm... put it on a dime... wanted to come back to Rutgers but as usual with the NCAA the call went against Rutgers.What else is new ?

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT