ADVERTISEMENT

In bound “play”?!

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Why in Gods name are you running a play on the PENN STATE BASKET SIDE?! Bad spacing !

Surely you can draw up a pick play to free up a man a throw it to him into YOUR SIDE OF THE COURT?!

These types of plays if not fixed WILL come back to bite you and could knock you out of a tournament game!

That said, sheesh, I’m hoarse again!

Why in Gods name are you running a play on the PENN STATE BASKET SIDE?! Bad spacing !

Surely you can draw up a pick play to free up a man a throw it to him into YOUR SIDE OF THE COURT?!

These types of plays if not fixed WILL come back to bite you and could knock you out of a tournament game!

That said, sheesh, I’m hoarse again!
I have no idea what the hell that was.

We're we outta timeouts by that point? If so, Paul never should have thrown it in.

The pass to Harper was easy. Mulcahy just overthrew it. Harper looked back at him like WTF ! A good pass and Harper gets fouled immediately and makes 2.

its really been an issue with Pike for a while, take the good with the bad i guess.

Reactions: bac2therac
Agree w/OP wondered why we didn't run a pick play for Ron or Geo and Cliff to run into the front court and have Paul flip it back there. Even if they do steal it beyond halfcourt it's an impossible heave to hit a basket.

Reactions: SBP and bac2therac
Couldn’t make today’s game live.
On TV, the way we set up for the in bounds pass, Paul had no one to throw the ball to.
I was shocked watching on TV the way we set up

Said this in the other thread but even my 8 year old son was like where the hell are they standing and what are they doing???

You critics of this play are nuts.

Designed to get it to Harper.. who was open along the sideline.. but it was ILLEGALLY DEFENDED by the inbounds defender who jumped over the sideline and may have touched Paul.. a big no-no.

Paul should have faked to his left while Ron was moving to the sideline.. not after he got there. He could have also dropped the ball to Caleb under PSU's basket.. but that was even more risky.

Inbound Execution and Defense​

The team inbounding the ball may have only one player out of bounds. This player cannot score a basket directly from out of bounds; he must pass the ball to a teammate in bounds. The opposing team cannot go out of bounds to impede the throw but may stand in front of the thrower and guard players trying to receive the ball. An inbound play may also include a third player and incorporate a pass. For example, the thrower may pass the ball to player 2. As the opposing team attempts to block player 2, player 3 can retrieve the ball and go for a layup.

Last edited:
You critics of this play are nuts.

Designed to get it to Harper.. who was open along the sideline.. but it was ILLEGALLY DEFENDED by the inbounds defender who jumped over the sideline and may have touched Paul.. a big no-no.

Paul should have faked to his left while Ron was moving to the sideline.. not after he got there. He could have also dropped the ball to Caleb under PSU's basket.. but that was even more risky.

Inbound Execution and Defense​

The team inbounding the ball may have only one player out of bounds. This player cannot score a basket directly from out of bounds; he must pass the ball to a teammate in bounds. The opposing team cannot go out of bounds to impede the throw but may stand in front of the thrower and guard players trying to receive the ball. An inbound play may also include a third player and incorporate a pass. For example, the thrower may pass the ball to player 2. As the opposing team attempts to block player 2, player 3 can retrieve the ball and go for a layup.
brutally bad officiating

Reactions: geoman
In bound passes under pressure have ben a nightmare to watch.Mulcahy needs to be replaced as the inbounder.
Mulcahy's only problem was that he thought he needed a legit threat to receive the pass to fake out the inbound defender.. who was just following the ball and Paul's eyes. Early on, he should have moved that defender with a fake to no one.

What I find most disturbing I have about all these responses is peopel keep saying no one was near the ball to start the play. Yea that is because Caled and Ron came to the ball and Cliff was going to screen for geo to come to the ball. You guys are just dumb.

Crazy that the refs missed this
It was the right no call. It is only an issue if the defender touches the ball or the inbounder. If he touches ball it would be a T and if he touches paul it would have been intentional. The only thing the ref could have done was to stop the play and tell him to move back.

so technically it was Paul’s fault for not throwing ball at defender as he was out of bounds however that would have been very risky

Agree w/OP wondered why we didn't run a pick play for Ron or Geo and Cliff to run into the front court and have Paul flip it back there. Even if they do steal it beyond halfcourt it's an impossible heave to hit a basket.
Again caleb and geo ran right but each other to set a running screen so to speak. Cliff then went to screen for geo. The last person we want with the ball is Cliff. Get Cliff the hell away.

On top of that Ron and Caleb were both open. Paul did not throw either of them the ball. As a matter of fact Ron was lazy. He should have sprinted to paul once he passed Caleb. He would have had an easy catch

the hoops people will jump through to attack the greatest coach rutgers has ever had is insane.

Again caleb and geo ran right but each other to set a running screen so to speak. Cliff then went to screen for geo. The last person we want with the ball is Cliff. Get Cliff the hell away.
Why did Geo call time out with 7 seconds left. We inbounded with 11 seconds left. He could have stayed in the corner another 5 seconds before calling time out. Then on the inbounds play, only have to worry about 2 seconds (and 10 second clock resets). Another timing decision that i was upset with.

Reactions: MadRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT