ADVERTISEMENT

In bound “play”?!

Why did Geo call time out with 7 seconds left. We inbounded with 11 seconds left. He could have stayed in the corner another 5 seconds before calling time out. Then on the inbounds play, only have to worry about 2 seconds (and 10 second clock resets). Another timing decision that i was upset with.
He could have also gotten the ball stolen. Nobody would have guessed they would not get ball in

You critics of this play are nuts.

Designed to get it to Harper.. who was open along the sideline.. but it was ILLEGALLY DEFENDED by the inbounds defender who jumped over the sideline and may have touched Paul.. a big no-no.

Paul should have faked to his left while Ron was moving to the sideline.. not after he got there. He could have also dropped the ball to Caleb under PSU's basket.. but that was even more risky.

Inbound Execution and Defense​

The team inbounding the ball may have only one player out of bounds. This player cannot score a basket directly from out of bounds; he must pass the ball to a teammate in bounds. The opposing team cannot go out of bounds to impede the throw but may stand in front of the thrower and guard players trying to receive the ball. An inbound play may also include a third player and incorporate a pass. For example, the thrower may pass the ball to player 2. As the opposing team attempts to block player 2, player 3 can retrieve the ball and go for a layup.
Wowwww how was that missed. If called is this 2 shots and the ball back?

Why did Geo call time out with 7 seconds left. We inbounded with 11 seconds left. He could have stayed in the corner another 5 seconds before calling time out. Then on the inbounds play, only have to worry about 2 seconds (and 10 second clock resets). Another timing decision that i was upset with.
In that situation , when in doubt call the time out. I don’t think he was thinking the ball would be inbounded in such a unique spot.

It was a very strange designed in bounds pass play. Told my whole section wtf are we doing prior to the play as no one was near Mulcahy prior to play commencing and no one was coming towards Paul when he was in trouble

Reactions: SBP
The defender out of bounds aside, it was not fun very well, no picks or screens to free up anyone . The bottom line is, that ball needed to get to the front court by any means necessary

Yes, why wasn’t Geo accurately counting out his own five second call?

What the **** are you even talking about?

Again caleb and geo ran right but each other to set a running screen so to speak. Cliff then went to screen for geo. The last person we want with the ball is Cliff. Get Cliff the hell away.

On top of that Ron and Caleb were both open. Paul did not throw either of them the ball. As a matter of fact Ron was lazy. He should have sprinted to paul once he passed Caleb. He would have had an easy catch

the hoops people will jump through to attack the greatest coach rutgers has ever had is insane.
Not sure where you're seeing Ron and Caleb open for the inbound pass there at all. Again the defender cannot jump out-of-bounds to defend the player inbounding the ball. Finally on the replay it's clear a P St player also interfered and that should have been called for bench interference. Bottom line is the refs blew this as much as the play being either designed or run poorly.

Why did Geo call time out with 7 seconds left. We inbounded with 11 seconds left. He could have stayed in the corner another 5 seconds before calling time out.
Well.. his recent FT miss may have spooked him. That and the refs allowing hacks. Could not trust those refs.. particularly the bald one... as proved on that inbounds play.

Not sure where you're seeing Ron and Caleb open for the inbound pass there at all. Again the defender cannot jump out-of-bounds to defend the player inbounding the ball. Finally on the replay it's clear a P St player also interfered and that should have been called for bench interference. Bottom line is the refs blew this as much as the play being either designed or run poorly.
You need to watch the clip again and watch Ron.

Do you see those huge empty places to the right and left of Paul? That was where he COULD pass the ball and the play was designed for Rutgers players to cut to those spots ahead of tailing defenders.

Ron got to the sideline.. but Paul telegraphed his desire to go there AND, most important, the defender on Paul jumped out of bounds to prevent a well-timed pass. On Paul's other side you had Caleb barely ahead of his defender.. but if Paul tossed it there I think Caleb would have gotten to it.. but you really do not want to try anything there while up only 1. But that was one of two possible places to go from that corner spot.

This is also why everyone lined up far away from Paul.. open up spaces.

What I failed ot see was any screen to open someone up. It looked like CLiff was well-positioned to screen for Ron cutting toward the sideline.. he did not screen nor did Ron use him like a screen. Not that I'd trust the refs to get that right and not call an offensive foul just because there was contact.

The only collision was Cliff and Geo.. which made zero sense.. I imagine Geo was supposed to use a side of Cliff and they got which side he'd pass on wrong.

RON WAS OPEN AHEAD OF HIS MAN in an open area up the sideline from Paul. Basically, Paul was supposed to throw it to that open spot BEFORE Ron got there (I assume)... but the ILLEGAL defense prevented that.

Last edited:
There is a lot of Monday morning QB on this topic. .

First of all….with the situation , you do not want to run any motion toward the hoop that could lead to a steal with them having the momentum gojng toesrd the hoop

Second …there is no where to throw that ball sort of unobstructed except where he threw it .

So…I actually like the concept that was poorly executed .

The one criticism I have is that you probably should have had cliff not in there …and another guard …to work the ball through

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

Who inbounded to Geo

You need to watch the clip again and watch Ron.

Do you see those huge empty places to the right and left of Paul? That was where he COULD pass the ball and the play was designed for Rutgers players to cut to those spots ahead of tailing defenders.

Ron got to the sideline.. but Paul telegraphed his desire to go there AND, most important, the defender on Paul jumped out of bounds to prevent a well-timed pass. On Paul's other side you had Caleb barely ahead of his defender.. but if Paul tossed it there I think Caleb would have gotten to it.. but you really do not want to try anything there while up only 1. But that was one of two possible places to go from that corner spot.

This is also why everyone lined up far away from Paul.. open up spaces.

What I failed ot see was any screen to open someone up. It looked like CLiff was well-positioned to screen for Ron cutting toward the sideline.. he did not screen nor did Ron use him like a screen. Not that I'd trust the refs to get that right and not call an offensive foul just because there was contact.

The only collision was Cliff and Geo.. which made zero sense.. I imagine Geo was supposed to use a side of Cliff and they got which side he'd pass on wrong.

RON WAS OPEN AHEAD OF HIS MAN in an open area up the sideline from Paul. Basically, Paul was supposed to throw it to that open spot BEFORE Ron got there (I assume)... but the ILLEGAL defense prevented that.
Idk it would have taken near perfect passes to hit Ron or Caleb, they were very well defended. It actually looked like Ron's defender was sandbagging a bit ready to jump an incoming pass. I agree it looked like Cliff was tentative in setting a pick, afraid to pick-up a costly foul. Anyway, the illegal defender took away any opportunity for Paul to make a clean and almost perfect pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT