ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana fires Tom Allen

They couldn't wait another week?
Could be boosters stepping up and Allen settling for 4.3 Mil less .

How much would IU owe Tom Allen if it fired him?​

A year-by-year breakdown of IU’s duty in the case of firing without cause:

Dec. 1, 2023: $20.8 million.

Dec. 1, 2024: $7.95 million.

Dec. 1, 2025: $5.4 million.

Dec. 1, 2026: $2.75 million.

• Wow
Reactions: eddynyse
Just seems like there is a group of “fans” trying to qualify everything GS touches. I’ve heard it all before. Just trying to save everyone some time.
Not many is qualifying it .
Some look at things objectively and that is OK

Jon Gruden rumors even now for IU lol. Thats even crazier than the Gruden Tenn ones from years ago.

I'd love to see a list of guys who were never head coaches until the P5 and how well they did as head coach. I bet for every Kirby Smart there are 10 Chris Ash's. Maybe more.

Indiana pays one of the biggest buyouts in college FOOTBALL history. Now THAT IS news.

what is in it for Allen to agree to a number lower than what his contract determined payout would be?

what is in it for Allen to agree to a number lower than what his contract determined payout would be?
I believe Paul Chryst did that too when Wisconsin let him go as well. I'm not sure other than you might get more money up front in the lump sum payments and maybe no offsets for future employment.

I believe Paul Chryst did that too when Wisconsin let him go as well. I'm not sure other than you might get more money up front in the lump sum payments and maybe no offsets for future employment.
Most likely a PV discount

Most likely a PV discount
Is that much going to change in the future? Inflation going down lol.

5M extra over 3-4 years? In Chryst's case it might have even been more. Is it going be that much of differential, suppose it depends on what rate of return you can get.

It's kind of like the lump sum of a lottery jackpot vs the annuitized payout. In that case 20+ years and rate of returns I get it, for this kind of thing I'm not as certain.

I think maybe no offsets and need to find future employment should you not want it might be part of it provided the lump sum payouts are high enough and quick enough. It's also clean cut and you're over and done with.

Might be lump sum right away instead of regular payments until the time the contract was due to expire and what he earns , until paid in full, being deducted from what he was owed.

Reactions: Joey Bags
Interesting that you never hear Paul Chryst's name associated with a job opening post his Wisconsin firing. His overall record was pretty good.

Gruden would be a massive hire for them.

IU boosters come up with $15MM for a buyout. We simply don't have that type of juice to make those moves.

Seeing the Gruden Indiana rumor reminds me of years and years ago when Rutgers was looking for a HC some posters on RU FB boards said Bill Parcells should be hired.

Gruden’s dad was a Corso assistant in the 70’s. He’s talked fondly of his childhood in B-ton being a ball boy for football and basketball. That’s about it for the connections though. I do NOT think this will happen and I don’t know that I want it to happen.

More logical choices, at least for me are: Fitz, Tom Herman, Chryst, Candle from Toledo. Wildcards would be Dan Mullen or Dave Clawson, just not sure if looking.

Word is, it won’t be a first time HC (ala Allen, Wilson, Cam Cameron). If accurate, that would eliminate guys like IU alum Justin Frye, or Brian Hartline, both at OSU; or Mike Hart at UM, a former RB’s coach at IU.

Gruden would be a massive hire for them.

IU boosters come up with $15MM for a buyout. We simply don't have that type of juice to make those moves.
Delbarton Kindergarten ain't gonna pay for itself. Those poors in the endzone seats need to pony up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT