ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa fan needs advice on RU tailgating

I know DNA is a Paterno supporter it seems and we've disagreed in the other thread, but NOTHING was wrong with what he posted here.

To the OP..yes, you will wait A LONG time for a bus back to the RAC if u chose to park there. I'd recommend getting a pass to a Busch lot. Much easier.

You seriously are completely clueless. I thought it was an act, but every single time you post it's shear lunacy. I feel truly sorry for those who know you.

U kidding me? Dude f*ck off. I guess ya'll got to me, not tryin to be dramatic but this is complete BS that I get treated like this just bc I don't hate joe Paterno. That doesn't make me not an RU fan and alum. Something most of you idiots who keep trolling me don't have, an actual degree from Rutgers

FIELD-OF-DREAMS_510x380.jpg
Have a group of 12 that are heading to the Iowa-Rutgers game for our annual road trip. Pretty feisty group that likes to have a good time with the other team's fans. Want to know the best spot to tailgate. Looking for a lively atmosphere/raucous environment.

Thanks in advance,

There are many prime spots. We are the tailgates of dreams

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Make sure you get a parking pass for one of the lots near the stadium. If you end up parking at the RAC and taking the bus over, no joke you will be waiting in line after the game for close to 2 hours to catch the bus back to those lots
While technically true our PSU friend neglects to state this lot is a closer walk than many "paid" lots at other B1G schools. With a day game it's an easy and safe walk. No further than the RV lots at either PSU or OSU.

I agree with the consensus above that Plan A for you should be buying a parking pass for the Blue or Yellow or Purple lot. For any other campus lot (especially the RAC lot) I suggest Plan B which is the game day lot at Johnson's Park. I am not sure if Johnson's lot will be open at 6:00. I know the Screws are in the Blue lot at 6 but Johnson's Park is different. Here is Plan C--The Greek Church 1 block away is a game day lot. Very popular for visiting fans. BUT, if you want raucous, this isn't the place for you.

Last edited:
A couple of points from someone that flys in for games and sometimes has a car.

1. Johnson park is a great option and will be 50% visiting fans.
  2. Buy a parking pass.
  3. Coming from the city you can take the train right into New Brunswick then Uber, walk or bar hop to stadium.
  4. There is an area by the entrance to the stadium where there is usually a band, food and you can buy beers. Great place loaded with visiting fans in similar situation.

Bar hop to the stadium down Easton Ave ? Never thought of that one before but I guess you can walk through Buccleuch Park and across Landing Lane bridge to the River Road side of the stadium. Probably not all that far from Somerset Street and plenty of watering holes along the way. For a 3:30 PM or later start it would be worth a try.

Reach out closer to the game. You're welcome to join our tailgate of 9.
Yep, that's a good suggestion. Many of us who run tailgates (yours truly included) would be more than happy to have you join us.

I know DNA is a Paterno supporter it seems and we've disagreed in the other thread, but NOTHING was wrong with what he posted here.

To the OP..yes, you will wait A LONG time for a bus back to the RAC if u chose to park there. I'd recommend getting a pass to a Busch lot. Much easier.

After the Louisville debacle in 2012 I waited an ungodly length of time. Maybe it's better now but I'll never find out. I just park for free in New Brunswick and walk.

If you're coming into Black from the circle we typically parked to the right of the 1st entrance, along the "trough" I guess?
Gotcha. We actually were in purple a couple of years ago but decided to go back to black as it seemed to provide a little more room per car and was less restrictive in terms of where you park. Anyway we met a couple of displaced purple lot people last year who seemed like decent folks so was just curious. Enjoy the purple again. Definitely a little more lively.

After the Louisville debacle in 2012 I waited an ungodly length of time. Maybe it's better now but I'll never find out. I just park for free in New Brunswick and walk.
May I ask why you didn't give up at .5*(an ungodly length of time), and just walk?
People walk further when they go to the mall.

Reactions: vkj91
May I ask why you didn't give up at .5*(an ungodly length of time), and just walk?
People walk further when they go to the mall.

Yes, we said "should have just walked" about a hundred times after we were crammed in the pen. After waiting 20 minutes you think you might as well keep waiting....then waiting...waiting, etc. If I ever park in the RAC again I certainly will walk. NB near landing lane bridge is a much shorter walk and I don't really tailgate unless I'm joining friends.

Thanks for all the input. We are staying in the city and driving down that morning. Assuming it is a noon game, we will be set up and ready to go at 6:00. Our crew has been to every B10 stadium except RU and are really looking forward to it. Sounds like purchasing a parking pass on the secondary market is the way to go. Here's hoping for a fun time.
Some good points here already - to reiterate.

You really want Blue or Yellow. As a long time Blue lot guy and more recently an older geezer I will say if throngs of undergrads drinking to much and wearing too little is what you are into, go Blue, head up front. We get our fair share of truck mounted discotheques if the cops don't crack down and you can take the noise. Plenty of good tailgating to be had beyond that.

If you are staying in a Manhattan hotel the train option mentioned is very doable and pretty unique to RU. If you are landing at EWR Newark it is pretty simple to get a train into the city and then to the game and back. Avoids car rental and traffic bothers. On normal days Jersey traffic will remind you of game day at many B1G campuses for congestion.

The bar hopping down Easton Ave is an interesting suggestion.

The RAC parking is least best option but relative to other venues about what to expect for visitor parking. Unlike State College you don't have to avoid cow pies in the pasture.

It will not be hard to find a tailgate that you can hang with. You would be welcome at mine but is far more boring than some in the Blue.

Have fun, enjoy the trip and I look forward to getting to Iowa City.

Again, guys, thanks for all the great information. I will definitely reach out on the forum again in early September and hopefully coordinate a place to meet up. Really looking forward to it.

Our crew all grew up together in Iowa and, as mentioned, we do one Iowa road game each year. We are scattered across the country (Iowa, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix). This will be our 16th annual trip. Normally we bring our tailgating trailer with us, but the logistics of staying in the city will not allow for it this year. It was tough enough finding a place to stow the trailer in DC for the Maryland game two years ago -- I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to find a spot in NYC.

Again, guys, thanks for all the great information. I will definitely reach out on the forum again in early September and hopefully coordinate a place to meet up. Really looking forward to it.

Our crew all grew up together in Iowa and, as mentioned, we do one Iowa road game each year. We are scattered across the country (Iowa, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix). This will be our 16th annual trip. Normally we bring our tailgating trailer with us, but the logistics of staying in the city will not allow for it this year. It was tough enough finding a place to stow the trailer in DC for the Maryland game two years ago -- I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to find a spot in NYC.
After this trip to NJ, you'll be ready to come back again, whenever the schedule dictates. How is Fairfield, IA these days ?

Haven't been to Fairfield lately. I live in Vegas and only get back to Iowa once every couple years.

Fairfield is too close to Missouri. People down there are scary. Iowa should give all of its land within 60 miles of the Missouri border to Missouri. Such act would raise the collective IQs of both states.

Reactions: MrsScrew

Amazingly, we have a new poster on board who has seen over 200 B1G games and claims to have never seen any RV's at any B1G game! Enjoy!

Last edited:
. Normally we bring our tailgating trailer with us, but the logistics of staying in the city will not allow for it this year. It was tough enough finding a place to stow the trailer in DC for the Maryland game two years ago -- I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to find a spot in NYC.

What do you do with your trailer in Chicago or Minneapolis?

If you are looking to sleep in your trailer in Manhattan, that is probably not going to work. But if you are looking to park your trailer somewhere secure in NJ, and then visit NYC, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Note that if you are planning to bring your trailer to tailgate at Rutgers, that will pretty much limit you to tailgating at the RAC (which, as noted earlier in this thread, has some drawbacks). To bring a trailer into a season lot, you would need an RV/Bus pass, which will be more difficult to get on the secondary market.

If you are looking to sleep in your trailer in Manhattan, that is probably not going to work. But if you are looking to park your trailer somewhere secure in NJ, and then visit NYC, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Note that if you are planning to bring your trailer to tailgate at Rutgers, that will pretty much limit you to tailgating at the RAC (which, as noted earlier in this thread, has some drawbacks). To bring a trailer into a season lot, you would need an RV/Bus pass, which will be more difficult to get on the secondary market.

No trailers allowed in Busch lots. At least, that's always been the rule as long as I can remember.

Trailers are not allowed in the tailgating lots at Rutgers. Only motorhomes and buses are allowed. Also, RV Parks near Rutgers are few and far between. Cheesequake St. Park closes in October and has height restrictions on the only access road. Next closest are in Jackson (several choices), or Clinton (lousy campground).

Visiting NYC with a trailer or other RV is easy: Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City. Ferry and Light Rail (to Path train) access right next door. Definitely not a grassy, bucolic campground - more of a parking lot with hookups with security on site, but really convenient for visiting NYC attractions.

btw - U of Maryland has a decent RV park very close (Cherry Hill RV Park / Campground).

I would like to have an RV, because it's both very cool and totally impractical.

Travelling with children and or pets is very practical and fun in/with an RV. Travelling to a bowl game with a motorhome full of 40-something guys is somewhat less so.

btw, RV = Truck Camper, Pop-Up Camper Trailer, Car Trailer, 5th Wheel Trailer, Class A, B, or C Motorhome, Diesel Pusher, Conversion Bus, Custom DIY RV.

RU4real
"I would like to have an RV, because it's both very cool and totally impractical."
Upstream
"I'd like to have a Hummer for the same reason."

Best of Both: Why not combine an impractical tactical vehicle with an RV?
cbc5ed417607772d75dbb9fe7235232f.jpg

That. Is. Cool.

Trailer is going to stay back in Iowa. Nobody wants to drive it out. It made the trip to both Madison and Indy for the B10 Champ game last year. It's nice to have to stow our bags set, washers game, life-size Jenga, and tailgating supplies, and to watch other games while tailgating, but we will make do. See you guys in September.

So yo finally admit DNA 22 you are Reppin jerk, another lie that you created. Shame on you sir! Shame
Um what? Bro I can promise you that we are not the same poster. I have no idea who this reppin jersey is and that's a promise. Granted it's an anonymous message board but I absolutely guarentee u and the ip addresses will prove this.

I wonder why your so paranoid or eager to troll posters who don't necessarily agree with the group consensus and not believe there can be more than one of us. Is sigh, if only you knew how dumb u sound as yes you are completely wrong in your accusation

Purple Lot scene has gotten better each year I've been there (about 10 years now) but I agree Yellow and Blue are closer and likely better.

Reactions: Leonard23
Um what? Bro I can promise you that we are not the same poster. I have no idea who this reppin jersey is and that's a promise. Granted it's an anonymous message board but I absolutely guarentee u and the ip addresses will prove this.

I wonder why your so paranoid or eager to troll posters who don't necessarily agree with the group consensus and not believe there can be more than one of us. Is sigh, if only you knew how dumb u sound as yes you are completely wrong in your accusation

Reppin

Make sure you get a parking pass for one of the lots near the stadium. If you end up parking at the RAC and taking the bus over, no joke you will be waiting in line after the game for close to 2 hours to catch the bus back to those lots

This is an RU Tailgate thread not a State Penn inquiry.

Just put your garbage in garbage bags and leave behind your car when you go into the game. They come around and pick up the bags during the game. The lots are clean.

I can only think of 3 times in the last 10 years of being in the Purple/Black lots where I've waited an unacceptable amount of time. Louisville 2006 and Michigan 2014 were two where it took up to an hour.

I am actually impressed how quick the yellow lot is cleaned up post game.

Same in Blue. I remember being appalled at how nothing was cleaned when we went to penn state last year. It was a good reminder of what a good job RU does.
No reason for a mess at Rutgers. They hand out free trash bags every game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT