ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa fan needs advice on RU tailgating

DaveSnedeker

Redshirt
Mar 12, 2007
Have a group of 12 that are heading to the Iowa-Rutgers game for our annual road trip. Pretty feisty group that likes to have a good time with the other team's fans. Want to know the best spot to tailgate. Looking for a lively atmosphere/raucous environment.

Thanks in advance,

Have a group of 12 that are heading to the Iowa-Rutgers game for our annual road trip. Pretty feisty group that likes to have a good time with the other team's fans. Want to know the best spot to tailgate. Looking for a lively atmosphere/raucous environment.

Thanks in advance,

Make sure you get a parking pass for one of the lots near the stadium. If you end up parking at the RAC and taking the bus over, no joke you will be waiting in line after the game for close to 2 hours to catch the bus back to those lots

Make sure you get a parking pass for one of the lots near the stadium. If you end up parking at the RAC and taking the bus over, no joke you will be waiting in line after the game for close to 2 hours to catch the bus back to those lots
Put our penn state troll quoted on ignore. His mission is to slam Rutgers in every thread until every last one of us worships at the altar of 409

We tailgate in the Yellow lot, and each year, there are multiple groups from the "opposition" which has been fun and good-natured, with just minor exceptions. Plus it is easy in and out, and a very short walk from the stadium. So, if your group can find it's way to purchasing a couples of yellow passes on the secondary market (could be a bit pricey), that would be my recommendation.

I've been parking in the purple lot for 4 years. Prior to that I parked at the RAC (I 've had season tickets since 1992). I always took the bus over to the game and walked back to the RAC if there was a line for the bus. It took about 35-40 minutes. I am not sure why anyone would wait on that line

There are usually a number of passes on the secondary market. Prepaid passes are a must if you want the whole stadium-tailgating atmosphere. You can check out the lot locations on Scarletknights.com. No matter which lot you choose make sure you enter together if you want to park next to each other.

Reactions: Knightmoves
You seriously are completely clueless. I thought it was an act, but every single time you post it's shear lunacy. I feel truly sorry for those who know you.

Last edited:
If the weather is good, the Johnson Park lot across River Rd from the Stadium will bo open (it isn't open if the field is too muddy). It is the closest lot with game day parking. But it typically fills up 2-3 hours before kickoff. This lot is very popular with visiting fans. The other popular lot is at the Greek Church a couple hundred yards down River Rd. I think the chuch may have some tailgating restrictions. The other gameday lots are much more subdued.

If you want a taste of Rutgers fan tailgating, then you would need to buy a pass for one of the season lots from the secondary market. Season lots fan out in a northward direction from the stadium in the following order: Scarlet, Green, Yellow, Blue, Purple, all the rest.

Scarlet has the oldest and most well-heeled crowd, followed by Green. Yellow is the largest lot and has a mix of older crowd, family, and younger crowd. Blue, historically has been the wildest lot, but recently has toned down a bit. And Purple has picked up its game as cost has forced some fomer Blue-lotters to Purple. Beyond Purple, tailgating is a mixed bag and many passholders for those lots just park and then join friends at larger tailgates at the closer-in lots.

Reactions: RURod
Be careful OP - there are many on this board that will try to deny you a raucous time at your tail gate.

Stay clear of the showers ....OH wait ... that's penn state
13zig3.jpg

Purple. We're moving back there this year after a year in Black. Perfect atmosphere IMHO.

Reactions: zgoru
I was over in the Scarlet Lot for about a half hour prior to the OSU game last year. It was an absolute shit-show over there and actually a lot of fun. The "old and well-heeled crowd" thing has started to give way to a different crowd
I'm in the Scarlet & Green lots before every game.

By older and well-heeled, I didn't mean dull and boring. But the average age of a Scarlet passholder is probably over 50. These are guys who have been tailgating for 30 years. They have the experience and money to do it right. And while you can also find eye candy, remember that she's hanging out with her dad.

By older and well-heeled, I didn't mean dull and boring. But the average age of a Scarlet passholder is probably over 50. These are guys who have been tailgating for 30 years. They have the experience and money to do it right. And while you can also find eye candy, remember that she's hanging out with her dad.

Excellent points.

'm well aware of who typically parks in the Scarlet Lot, thank you, as my father and his "crew" have since I was a child. That being said, my point is that things are changing in the Scarlet Lot and last year, for the OSU game (and I'm sure the prior year for PSU and Michigan, I didn't make it over...), it was A LOT younger and a complete shit-show in the Scarlet Lot. You could barely walk through the first 3 or 4 aisles and when and where you could - no joke - you were stepping on something. There were also - now hold onto your hats - people pissing over the far railings instead of waiting in line forr a port-o-john. Yup. No lie.

A lot of my friends and acquaintances, even in their early 30's, now tailgate over there as they've taken over their family parking passes OR are simply willing to donate enough to park and be that close. This isn't a bad thing, btw, it's just that change was literally inevitable and it's been noticed (by my dad as well, trust me, lol...). Take a closer look this year. Things have and are continuing to change. Unfortunately tailgaters like my father aren't getting any younger and their #'s are starting to thin out. Until a year or two ago they'd get 25 or so classmates at HC but the last 2 years, honestly, maybe 5 or 6 guys showed up while the tailgate he now typically "joins" on a weekly basis is filled with girls and guys still in and just out of school (last 5 years or so), whose parents are RU alumnus.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. We are staying in the city and driving down that morning. Assuming it is a noon game, we will be set up and ready to go at 6:00. Our crew has been to every B10 stadium except RU and are really looking forward to it. Sounds like purchasing a parking pass on the secondary market is the way to go. Here's hoping for a fun time.
Like you heard above... (In order of $) Scarlet, Green, Yellow, blue, purple, or black parking lots are all very good tailgating lots. You must buy a pass on the secondary market. Lots have no time restrictions (regardless of what the website says) so get there as early as you like. All those lots will be full of tailgaters. Once you buy a pass, let us know which lot and I'm sure you can find some friendly RU fans to meet up with. Enjoy your trip!

as stated above, find a pass on the secondary market. Yellow & Blue are the most fun and close to the stadium.

you'll find most Rutgers fans to be welcoming and fun. As cowbell said, let us know what lot you get a pass in and we will certainly do our best to help you enjoy your final B1G tailgate and stadium experience.

Reactions: demauroj
You're better off walking back to Livingston, which isn't too bad for me.

Thanks for all the input. We are staying in the city and driving down that morning. Assuming it is a noon game, we will be set up and ready to go at 6:00. Our crew has been to every B10 stadium except RU and are really looking forward to it. Sounds like purchasing a parking pass on the secondary market is the way to go. Here's hoping for a fun time.
Dave- if your crew is a fun, ball busting group(in a good way)!you really should try to find one of our better tailgating crews here and make arrangements to set up close and make some new friends. The screws group is always fun and very welcoming to opposing fans, huskers and southern gentleman from Arkansas can attest to this.
Though, even if you go it alone, you will have a blast and will make friends...

You'll be welcomed at our football stadium and you will have a nice time. Joining the Brands boys at one of our wrestling matches would be an entirely different story. Enjoy. $$$$

A couple of points from someone that flys in for games and sometimes has a car.

1. Johnson park is a great option and will be 50% visiting fans.
  2. Buy a parking pass.
  3. Coming from the city you can take the train right into New Brunswick then Uber, walk or bar hop to stadium.
  4. There is an area by the entrance to the stadium where there is usually a band, food and you can buy beers. Great place loaded with visiting fans in similar situation.

The average age might be 50, but that's not necessarily the people using the parking pass. Excluding the old alumni group up front and maybe friends, it's a much younger crowd. If you stand in the green lot and look across to the Scarlet when the lot is filling up, you see lots of younger people and many with kids (8-12 yrs old). I doubt that most of them have enough points on their own even with donations so where do the passes come from ?

This guy won't invest in season tix until the schedule gets better, ain't that right reppin jerk. If the game was Rider vs Rowan , he could give you good advice
PSU troll

Stop trolling me. This has nothing to do with the other thread and ask the mods for the IP address, not the same poster bud.

I was answering a question to a visiting fan which other posters agreed with me on. Stop trolling my posts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT