ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa fan needs advice on RU tailgating

I'm a little surprised at myself for not already have asked this, but how many of your group are single women? Or, you know, unhappily non-single women. Or women who are happily married but always up for a good time? Or sheep? One of those.

Reactions: InGregITrust
that would be me, MrsScrew, my husband MrScrew, aka, RUScrew85 and our merry band of a tailgating group. You are more than welcome to stop by for some food and a cocktail or 5. You will find that pretty much everyone in the Blue Lot is a very friendly place to opposing fans.

Did we ever tell you that the first time RaRa told us we are going to join him at Mr/Mrs Screw's tailgate, Jackie actually thought that was your names.
BRW- anyone who has never stop by to meet the Drew's and half the crazies on this message board at their tailgate, you have missed out...

Reactions: demauroj
Did we ever tell you that the first time RaRa told us we are going to join him at Mr/Mrs Screw's tailgate, Jackie actually thought that was your names.
BRW- anyone who has never stop by to meet the Drew's and half the crazies on this message board at their tailgate, you have missed out...

Hey I resemble that remark. :)

I'm a little surprised at myself for not already have asked this, but how many of your group are single women? Or, you know, unhappily non-single women. Or women who are happily married but always up for a good time? Or sheep? One of those.

If it helps, I can search the back alley's of NYC and round up some homeless women. Since you've been so nice to us, I'll cover their train fare.

I did see that, tons of great info. I really appreciate it!

And thanks for all the suggestions, I think we'll pass up the bar scene before the game and try tailgating instead.
Hit the bars after the game if you can. There will be plenty of students and fans afterwards.

George street - older crowd
Easton Ave - college crowd

I usually tailgate next to them and practically call them that...

Reactions: yesrutgers01
If it helps, I can search the back alley's of NYC and round up some homeless women. Since you've been so nice to us, I'll cover their train fare.
Well... homeless and blow ain't quite hookers and blow. But what the heck. Bring 'em. [laughing]

Also, if you are skipping the bars before the game, take the shuttle bus to the stadium from the train station area. It's probably a 3-4 mile walk plus you'll be able to spend quality time tailgating. Lots open at 7 AM and breakfast will be going by 8 AM. No need to eat train food.
I'm sure you'll get plenty advice for post game activities. Have some fun and welcome to RU.

Echoing what's been said - skip the bars on Easton, they're out of the way. Get to the Yellow / Blue lot area as early as you can and tailgate hop. We happily feed visiting fans.

Unless they're from Penn State.

Or Michigan.

Except if they're totally smokin' chicks.

And even then, probably not if they're from Penn State.

Unless they have ridiculously loose morals.

I guess that's redundant.

Yeah, tailgates before the game, bars after. Once we beat you guys, if you show up at a crowded bar on Easton, you'll probably drink for free.

Echoing what's been said - skip the bars on Easton, they're out of the way. Get to the Yellow / Blue lot area as early as you can and tailgate hop. We happily feed visiting fans.

Unless they're from Penn State.

Or Michigan.

Except if they're totally smokin' chicks.

And even then, probably not if they're from Penn State.

Unless they have ridiculously loose morals.

I guess that's redundant.
You can send the smokin' chicks from PSU over to our tailgate. Even if they don't have ridiculously loose morals. Our tailgate crew prides itself on how our moral compasses always point north.

Yeah, tailgates before the game, bars after. Once we beat you guys, if you show up at a crowded bar on Easton, you'll probably drink for free.
Since you made the offer, it seems only fair to me that they make a similar offer. Don't you think? :)

There's also a few new spots on George like World of Bear (huge selection/lots of TVs), Dillinger (speakeasy) and Garden State Ale House. These are all "adult" bars compared to the student bars on Easton. All good choices as well as the ones above.

Again, thanks for all the info. I did think of another question. We have yet to buy tickets and looking around on StubHub. If we were to buy cheap seats, what are the odds we'd be able to move to better seats?

it's always a little funny when people call me Mrs Screw in real life. The first time was a bit startling but now it's just normal.

I thought proper etiquette demands people refer to you as Her Royal Highness of Rutgers Football and only after you speak to them first?

What's happened to manners?

Again, thanks for all the info. I did think of another question. We have yet to buy tickets and looking around on StubHub. If we were to buy cheap seats, what are the odds we'd be able to move to better seats?

Probably not good. But turthfully, there's really not a bad seat at HPSS.

Got it. I hate being "that guy" who isn't sitting in his actual seats, but most of the tickets on StubHub are delivered through UPS and won't arrive in time before we leave.

I mean, totally up to u. There will probably be places to sit (mostly bleachers), but don't want to tell u yes and then u can't.

Probably not good. But turthfully, there's really not a bad seat at HPSS.

That was my thought. Only small issue is the North End Zone seats are a little bit away from the field. If you take away the student sections probably 70% of the seats are what you'd call sideline.

Just a note about train/shuttle option to the stadium. When you come off the train, you'll be at the bookstore. Directly across the street is the oldest part of campus. Definitely check that out. Old Queens is our iconic ancient academic hall. Walk around Old Queens and you'll be heading right into the heart of the Rutgers campus. Walk through the mall there and then head to the left, back to College Avenue. If you walk right on College Ave you'll find another shuttle bus in front of the College Avenue Student Center. It's a free shuttle. You can actually walk (about 20 minutes) from here pretty easily right up into the tailgates if you continue on College Avenue and follow the sidewalk over the Lynch Bridge, but the shuttle bus is quick. The only thing you need to know about the shuttle bus is that it drops you off at the south end of the stadium, and you want to be at the north end for the tailgates. You have to walk left of the stadium and follow everyone up the hill and around to the complete opposite side. There you'll find a sea of tailgates.

Didn't someone post a Google map route from the bus stop to the stadium while walkingredients the "scenic" route?

I was thinking about doing that when I thought it was a 330 start, now as a noon start I may want to get to the tailgate scene a bit sooner

Didn't someone post a Google map route from the bus stop to the stadium while walkingredients the "scenic" route?

I was thinking about doing that when I thought it was a 330 start, now as a noon start I may want to get to the tailgate scene a bit sooner

If you google New Bunswick, NJ and click on the map you can zoom in on Rutgers-New Brunswick campus. You will see the train station right to the south. You might want to switch over to google earth views too. You'll see the stadium is fairly direct and easy walk northwest from the train station. College Ave is the most direct route and good chunk of that particular campus is on your right as you walk up college ave. a lot of the old stuff is there.

Keep in mind the stadium is across a river in Piscataway, where the Busch campus is located.

"...Keep in mind the stadium is across a river in Piscataway, where the Busch campus is located...."

But there is a foot bridge over all bridges to the stadium (Landing Lane Bridge, Route 18 Bridge and Albany Street Bridge)

Sarcasm for sure. Blue, Yellow and Scarlet are the best lots for tailgating. I'd say Blue is the best, but I'm extremely biased.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a pass in time. Will the RAC be that unimpressive? Like completely empty with no one else tailgating? We're hoping to get there early and will have drinks, speakers, games, grill etc.

I'm not going to lie, it's not as good as the prime lots. But with a crew that size you'll be fine. There will be plenty of people there having a good time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT