ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cliff hurt?

It's funny some people think Cliff needs to be 100% healthy to dunk

None of us fans know his true current health.

He was for sure limping earlier this season when I sat front row close enough to see it for myself. No idea if it's still bothering him or not but why is he wearing a leg sleeve? Is it for fashion? Seems unlikely

Cliff at say 85-90% is still going to be very athletic but he does seem to be a little less explosive and not running the floor the way has in the past
No one thinks Cliff at 6-10 needs to be 100% healthy to dunk.
The dunk he performs leading the team out is not a the kind of explosive movement you’d take a chance on doing if you were nursing a sore leg.

To this point, I think Cliff will be far more successful in an NBA or D league game than he is at RU. Even though the players he’s up against will be consistently better.
Agreed - he would be much better in a free-wheeling, fast break oriented offense that values speed and athleticism more than our system does (there aren't many 6'11" players with his speed and hops - that's worth a look and a serious attempt at development). He doesn't have to hit outside shots to make the NBA, but he does have to develop much better post moves, which I'm not sure he's capable of as finishing requires some sort of shot-making in close, which requires decent hand-eye coordination, which I'm just not sure he has enough of. I hope he proves me wrong.

No one thinks Cliff at 6-10 needs to be 100% healthy to dunk.
The dunk he performs leading the team out is not a the kind of explosive movement you’d take a chance on doing if you were nursing a sore leg.
Every time this topic comes up multiple people point to Cliff dunking as proof he's not hurt

To this point, I think Cliff will be far more successful in an NBA or D league game than he is at RU. Even though the players he’s up against will be consistently better.
Definitely. He’d have a lot more spacing in pro ball and he’d get lots of lob opportunities off to of big men helping on drives by guards.

Last edited:
I think Cliff is just being utilized poorly tbh.

I don’t know why, for the life of me, they continue to try to feed him away from the hoop with his back to the basket.

Makes no sense to me. He’s not a wide body guy that can bully down low.

Know why Paul can go back to the basket? He has a significant size advantage over his defending guards.

Cliff requires space. He’s not down there moving mountains.

Not sure if it’ll happen, but I’ll bet if Cam figures it out, Cliff will become more of a threat when they’re on the same side of the court.

No one on this team right now creates space.
I agree with this. There’s things that Cliff can do that are awesome, and he’s fun to watch when he’s playing above the rim.

But he doesn’t have any post moves that get him to the basket. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a drop step or an up and under from him, the only thing he ever really does is a jump hook. Even a simple pump fake could open up some space for him or get him to the foul line.

I think Cliff is just being utilized poorly tbh.

I don’t know why, for the life of me, they continue to try to feed him away from the hoop with his back to the basket.

Makes no sense to me. He’s not a wide body guy that can bully down low.

Know why Paul can go back to the basket? He has a significant size advantage over his defending guards.

Cliff requires space. He’s not down there moving mountains.

Not sure if it’ll happen, but I’ll bet if Cam figures it out, Cliff will become more of a threat when they’re on the same side of the court.

No one on this team right now creates space.
I’ll tell you why…because today’s top college players expect to be featured in NBA-style isolation sets and have the opportunity to show their skills to scouts on film and in person. And if coaches want top recruits, that’s the pact with the devil they have no choice but to make. It’s why Caleb shoots too much as well. So the shit shots these guys take are tolerated to keep guys like this coming in. A catch-22. High major coaches are just higher paid AAU coaches in the way that winning is secondary, behind player pampering. Coaches can only hope the team wins anyway. Coach restricts that, top players leave. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you why…because today’s top college players expect to be featured in NBA-style isolation sets and have the opportunity to show their skills to scouts on film and in person. And if coaches want top recruits, that’s the pact with the devil they have no choice but to make. It’s why Caleb shoots too much as well. So the shit shots these guys take are tolerated to keep guys like this coming in. A catch-22. High major coaches are just higher paid AAU coaches in the way that winning is secondary, behind player pampering. Coaches can only hope the team wins anyway. Coach restricts that, top players leave. Simple as that.
Nothing we do as a program is NBA-like at all. We grind it out defensively, we have horrible range, and we don’t space the floor lol.

That’s the point, Cliff will succeed in an NBA game more than he does here.

Guys are coming in to be a part of RU, and the NIL money. They aren’t coming in because they get to take dumb shots lol. We just have very few offensive weapons.

Nothing we do as a program is NBA-like at all. We grind it out defensively, we have horrible range, and we don’t space the floor lol.

Guys are coming in to be a part of RU, and the NIL money. They aren’t coming in because they get to take dumb shots lol. We just have very few offensive weapons.
Your post suggests that the basketball program at Rutgers University may not resemble the style of play typically seen in the National Basketball Association (NBA), due to a focus on defensive play, lack of long-range shooting ability, and a lack of offensive spacing. You go on to argue that this style of play may not be attractive to recruits and that they may be more interested in coming to Rutgers for other reasons, such as opportunities to earn money through name, image, and likeness (NIL) agreements.

While it is true that Rutgers' style of play may not resemble the high-scoring, fast-paced style of the NBA, it is important to recognize that there are many different approaches to the game of basketball that can be successful at various levels. A strong defensive strategy can be an effective way to control the pace of the game, limit the scoring ability of opponents, and create opportunities for scoring on the offensive end. Similarly, a lack of long-range shooting ability can be compensated for by focusing on other aspects of the game, such as rebounding, interior scoring, and ball movement.

Furthermore, it is important to note that there are many factors that influence a player's decision to commit to a particular university or program, and these factors may vary from one individual to the next. While some players may be drawn to programs that emphasize a particular style of play or offensive strategy, others may be more interested in factors such as the quality of the coaching staff, the level of competition, the academic offerings of the university, and the opportunities for personal and professional growth.

In conclusion, while it is true that the basketball program at Rutgers University may not resemble the style of play typically seen in the NBA, it is important to recognize that there are many different approaches to the game of basketball that can be successful at various levels. Additionally, while some players may be more drawn to programs that emphasize a particular style of play, there are many other factors that can influence a player's decision to commit to a particular university or program.

Didn’t say program is NBA-like. Said top recruits and players expect frequent opportunities to be featured and score in NBA-like action/sets, and that coaches must oblige else lose top recruits and players. That’s why Cliff gets entry passes so much even though it’s obvious he will rarely convert. The top players are in charge, just like in the NBA.

I agree with this. There’s things that Cliff can do that are awesome, and he’s fun to watch when he’s playing above the rim.

But he doesn’t have any post moves that get him to the basket. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a drop step or an up and under from him, the only thing he ever really does is a jump hook. Even a simple pump fake could open up some space for him or get him to the foul line.
You are not paying close enough attention.

Didn’t say program is NBA-like. Said top recruits and players expect frequent opportunities to be favored / featured and score in NBA-like action/sets. Coaches must oblige else the players they covet will go elsewhere. These are pro prospect showcases within games. Fact. Oskar gets yanked for going 0-2 while Cliff isn’t restricted from taking shots that seem to be aimed at the practice hoops behind the student section half the time. That is the high major college game. It’s not just about winnning. It’s both.

Your post suggests that the basketball program at Rutgers University may not resemble the style of play typically seen in the National Basketball Association (NBA), due to a focus on defensive play, lack of long-range shooting ability, and a lack of offensive spacing. You go on to argue that this style of play may not be attractive to recruits and that they may be more interested in coming to Rutgers for other reasons, such as opportunities to earn money through name, image, and likeness (NIL) agreements.

While it is true that Rutgers' style of play may not resemble the high-scoring, fast-paced style of the NBA, it is important to recognize that there are many different approaches to the game of basketball that can be successful at various levels. A strong defensive strategy can be an effective way to control the pace of the game, limit the scoring ability of opponents, and create opportunities for scoring on the offensive end. Similarly, a lack of long-range shooting ability can be compensated for by focusing on other aspects of the game, such as rebounding, interior scoring, and ball movement.

Furthermore, it is important to note that there are many factors that influence a player's decision to commit to a particular university or program, and these factors may vary from one individual to the next. While some players may be drawn to programs that emphasize a particular style of play or offensive strategy, others may be more interested in factors such as the quality of the coaching staff, the level of competition, the academic offerings of the university, and the opportunities for personal and professional growth.

In conclusion, while it is true that the basketball program at Rutgers University may not resemble the style of play typically seen in the NBA, it is important to recognize that there are many different approaches to the game of basketball that can be successful at various levels. Additionally, while some players may be more drawn to programs that emphasize a particular style of play, there are many other factors that can influence a player's decision to commit to a particular university or program.
I think you’re agreeing with me.

Shelby was saying we’re getting guys that want to be featured in NBA like sets. I’m saying that doesn’t make sense because we aren’t running nba sets

Didn’t say program is NBA-like. Said top recruits and players expect frequent opportunities to be favored / featured and score in NBA-like action/sets. Coaches must oblige else the players they covet will go elsewhere. These are pro prospect showcases within games. Fact. Oskar gets yanked for going 0-2 while Cliff isn’t restricted from taking shots that seem to be aimed at the practice hoops behind the student section half the time. That is the high major college game. It’s not just about winnning. It’s both.
I think that’s more of an issue of lack of options tbh.

Oskar gets yanked and Cliff has a long leash because the drop off after Cliff is that much.

Cliff has struggled from a FG perspective, but I think it’s a combination of us not using him well, in addition to us not having options.

Think about it. Let’s say Cliff is having an awful game. Who do you go to?

Cam is ice cold.
Paul is a facilitator.
Hyatt is inconsistent and not a pure scorer.
Caleb is a below average offensive player.

Seriously, who do you go to?

This team was great when the ball stayed hot and we found a high percentage shot. Or when we could press (with mag) and create easy buckets.

I’m very very worried about how this team is going to finish.

So when he goes up for a dunk he is not hurt but when he misses baby jump hooks or does not move his feet to play defense or can't grab a rebound he is hurt.

Folks he is NOT hurt, stop making excuses for an overrated, low skill Rutgers player.
Ouch.

I think you’re agreeing with me.

Shelby was saying we’re getting guys that want to be featured in NBA like sets. I’m saying that doesn’t make sense because we aren’t running nba sets
Not entirely, but enough to keep Cliff happy. There is nothing in his skill set to justify the pro action he gets. Pike is showcasing him, keeping him happy and hoping the team wins anyway. And this isn’t unique to Pike or Rutgers. It’s college basketball.

I think that’s more of an issue of lack of options tbh.

Oskar gets yanked and Cliff has a long leash because the drop off after Cliff is that much.

Cliff has struggled from a FG perspective, but I think it’s a combination of us not using him well, in addition to us not having options.

Think about it. Let’s say Cliff is having an awful game. Who do you go to?

Cam is ice cold.
Paul is a facilitator.
Hyatt is inconsistent and not a pure scorer.
Caleb is a below average offensive player.

Seriously, who do you go to?

This team was great when the ball stayed hot and we found a high percentage shot. Or when we could press (with mag) and create easy buckets.

I’m very very worried about how this team is going to finish.
Not accurate. Is true we have no backup for Cliff but that doesn’t explain the garbage he tries. I used to bitch about Myles being utterly useless on offense. 4 on 5. But with the way Cliff is showcased, his value on offense isn’t much better. Dunks, yes. The total of everything else is not.

Cliff was limping noticeably at one point when coming onto the court after a timeout. So something was hurting in his lower body or back. But only the team have any idea what the limp was due to or how impactful it is to Cliff's performance.

That's not making excuses for anything. It's a simple observation.

If Cliff actually has an injury, then it's entirely possible that it's affecting his game. That's not an excuse. It's an objective reality. Maybe it is affecting him. Maybe it's not. No amount of fan theorizing can change it. It's weird what fans will argue so vociferously about when they have no possible way of knowing.

Reactions: Scangg
Not entirely, but enough to keep Cliff happy. There is nothing in his skill set to justify the pro action he gets. Pike is showcasing him, keeping him happy and hoping the team wins anyway. And this isn’t unique to Pike or Rutgers. It’s college basketball.
No one in college basketball is doing anything pro, that's my point.

Watch that, specifically the end where JJ says college sets haven't changed since he was in school.

Not accurate. Is true we have no backup for Cliff but that doesn’t explain the garbage he tries. I used to bitch about Myles being utterly useless on offense. 4 on 5. But with the way Cliff is showcased, his value on offense isn’t much better. Dunks, yes. The total of everything else is not.
It's not even about backup at his position.

We don't have an offensive threat on the court right now.

It wasnt an issue earlier because it was all about D, now with no Mag we've dropped off in defense and buckets are harder to come by.

This has always been a 60-65 point team. It is still a 60-65 point team, but now we aren't holding teams to 50-60. We're giving up 70-80.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Agreed - he would be much better in a free-wheeling, fast break oriented offense that values speed and athleticism more than our system does (there aren't many 6'11" players with his speed and hops - that's worth a look and a serious attempt at development). He doesn't have to hit outside shots to make the NBA, but he does have to develop much better post moves, which I'm not sure he's capable of as finishing requires some sort of shot-making in close, which requires decent hand-eye coordination, which I'm just not sure he has enough of. I hope he proves me wrong.
Imagine Cliff on that Baylor team a couple years ago? holy moly.

It's not even about backup at his position.

We don't have an offensive threat on the court right now.

It wasnt an issue earlier because it was all about D, now with no Mag we've dropped off in defense and buckets are harder to come by.

This has always been a 60-65 point team. It is still a 60-65 point team, but now we aren't holding teams to 50-60. We're giving up 70-80.
In the 3.5 games without Mag we have given up 70 or more 1 time

Cliff was limping noticeably at one point when coming onto the court after a timeout. So something was hurting in his lower body or back. But only the team have any idea what the limp was due to or how impactful it is to Cliff's performance.

That's not making excuses for anything. It's a simple observation.

If Cliff actually has an injury, then it's entirely possible that it's affecting his game. That's not an excuse. It's an objective reality. Maybe it is affecting him. Maybe it's not. No amount of fan theorizing can change it. It's weird what fans will argue so vociferously about when they have no possible way of knowing.
Players who perform with injuries get deserved accolades from coaches and players alike.
All teammates, trainers and coaches admire guys who go out and lay it on the line with an injury.
Things like that slip out on any team I’ve ever been on, unless we’re the only team in the country where a player can’t say, Cliff ain’t feeling his best but that man is a warrior… !

This is the worst passing team since Eddie Jordan was coach and it seems to go unnoticed. Watch this team pass the ball in our semi-inept offense. Shots would exist in this offense if the passes were better (making them is another story)…the passes are either extremely slow to happen, or thrown to the right, left, high or low. That split second the player needs to adjust to the pass nullifies an open look (even if we could made the shot). The same with the cuts…they are mostly half-assed. And that’s not even mentioning the rare times we get a fast break. This team runs a break like an 8th grade team. The attention to detail is not there.
Correct. They can't run a break to save their lives . Just inexplicable

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Correct. They can't run a break to save their lives . Just inexplicable
Is there a metric somewhere for fast break efficiency? We seem to convert at a low rate this year, especially since the calendar flipped to 2023.

Players who perform with injuries get deserved accolades from coaches and players alike.
All teammates, trainers and coaches admire guys who go out and lay it on the line with an injury.
Things like that slip out on any team I’ve ever been on, unless we’re the only team in the country where a player can’t say, Cliff ain’t feeling his best but that man is a warrior… !
I expect we'll eventually hear about it. Unless it's a really minor, fleeting thing.

Is there a metric somewhere for fast break efficiency? We seem to convert at a low rate this year, especially since the calendar flipped to 2023.
I’ve noticed a lot of them are contested and altered from behind and no fouls are ever called

Someone on the staff needs to inform the team that it's ok for the player with the ball to pass it to the open man trailing the play

It is about spacing too. The players tend to run straight to the rim instead of spreading out and then cutting to the rim from the hash. This reduces passing lanes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT