ADVERTISEMENT

Is CVS coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC66

Senior
Jun 9, 2009
The other thread on this subject was hijacked by debates about mask-wearing and other stuff.

I'm just looking for news.

It's unconscionable that the athletics department has shared no news; or did I just miss it?

How can someone make the statement that the Rutgers Athletic Department could possibly be unconscionable ? Obviously they have always been forthcoming when a possible negative story might cause fan and media scrutiny. Like all else Rutgers the immediate questioning about where is coach C Viv did not age well. It was a fair question and deserved a better response from the people in charge. We all wish her good health and a quick return but it seems highly unlikely or eerily quiet.

Reactions: bac2therac
Back to what I believe was the original positive intent of the OP, is there any news about our coach? How is she doing? I do believe that most fans would like to know that. So if any of you who frequent this board have any updated information, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It's a fair question.
One can point out , at the present CVS can get things done using her assistants to do the grunt work.
But the chemistry between the HC and players might not be as good as it could be with her not physically involved in the team getting ready for the season.

As the OP stated: "It's unconscionable that the athletics department has shared no news; or did I just miss it?" is a valid one and Hobbs needs to address Vivian's absence .
Nov.9 is not that far away and if Stringer is going to miss it (or be there) , RU WBB fans deserve to know.

As far as being a terminating offense, before hanging her lets see what develops.
I've seen HC's take time off from coaching the team and come back when the problem was resolved.
We shouldn't say get lost to any HC that needs time off without knowing what the problem is/was.
Also some problems might be too personal to broadcast and those involved in managing the program feel the need for it to be a private matter rather than sharing it to the public
But the expected return date shouldn't be held back from the program's fanbase.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDiddy777
How can someone make the statement that the Rutgers Athletic Department could possibly be unconscionable ? Obviously they have always been forthcoming when a possible negative story might cause fan and media scrutiny. Like all else Rutgers the immediate questioning about where is coach C Viv did not age well. It was a fair question and deserved a better response from the people in charge. We all wish her good health and a quick return but it seems highly unlikely or eerily quiet.

Shes a single mom taking care of her daughter. Her daughter had spinal meningitis as an infant and has had serious health and developmental issues for 4 decades.

Reactions: GORU2014
Shes a single mom taking care of her daughter. Her daughter had spinal meningitis as an infant and has had serious health and developmental issues for 4 decades.
We all know and understand her situation at home. We all empathize with this but as a paid state employee on the tax payer dime Rutgers does have an obligation to explain even if that is the real reason. People are still questioning her whereabouts . If the reason is the pandemic and she’s in her 70’s and at risk then “ say so”. It is very , very strange to hear absolutely nothing. Let’s see when she returns to actual coaching.

She gets paid enough to hire fulltime help.

All these justifications are just bullshit.
You are petitioning that sick days be forfeited if not used on a timely basis, unlike being able to be accrued (some reporting indicated she is taking all her accumulated sick days and other sources calculated that she certainly had sufficient to cover this absence).

And you are leading the charge to discipline whoever in the athletic department who approved this absence? Because someone did. If no one did, then you have a fire with cause situation. And then you can lead the charge to discipline whoever in the athletic department didn't do what is required.

If she is taking approved time off using accrued benefit time, then no justification is needed. At the same time, I 100% feel that it is virtually impossible that this has not negatively affected the team and season. I hope I'm wrong, but I get the anger.

We all know and understand her situation at home. We all empathize with this but as a paid state employee on the tax payer dime Rutgers does have an obligation to explain even if that is the real reason. People are still questioning her whereabouts . If the reason is the pandemic and she’s in her 70’s and at risk then “ say so”. It is very , very strange to hear absolutely nothing. Let’s see when she returns to actual coaching.

Its her daughter who is at risk. Can imagine CViv was probably restricted in spending time with her last season while with the team. As a parent, I can’t imagine the toll that would take on her. And she’s been through a lot.

Her program is remarkably stable. The same coaching staff has been together with her for more than half a decade. And 3 decades of cumulative years working for her among them. Her work ethic is legendary, just because she’s not with the team physically doesn’t mean she isn’t watching tape, consulting with her staff and players.

Its her daughter who is at risk. Can imagine CViv was probably restricted in spending time with her last season while with the team. As a parent, I can’t imagine the toll that would take on her. And she’s been through a lot.

Her program is remarkably stable. The same coaching staff has been together with her for more than half a decade. And 3 decades of cumulative years working for her among them. Her work ethic is legendary, just because she’s not with the team physically doesn’t mean she isn’t watching tape, consulting with her staff and players.
Hey everyone else is working from home why not she , just put a large screen TV facing the court and there you go, virtually coaching.

Then you may as well forget seeing Viv Stringer anytime soon . The virus is still going to be here for years and the pandemic will never be over. Quite honestly by that time we probably will see another virus and pandemics going forward. Everyone knows Stringer’s family situation . That is not the issue here. So you are ok with her taking the next year or 2 or 3 off? Having accrued sick time is one thing however paying her above that no matter how great her work ethic is or was is baseless . Vivian’s daughter’s condition which will nit be changing so it makes it more imperative to give out a public statement from the Rutgers hierarchy. It is going to be a big question within the next few weeks.

Reactions: Steve91562
Hey everyone else is working from home why not she , just put a large screen TV facing the court and there you go, virtually coaching.
The staff is not the question but you have how many new players either recruited or portal transfers ? Is it not about 6-7 newbies. Time will tell …

The issue is CVIV was reportedly with the team up until contract renewal in April. Once the contract negotiation was complete and announced in April is when she no longer came to the office. That is a horrible optic and needs to be explained.

It remains bizarre that we have not heard more about this from anyone in the RU athletics program. But given the lack of clarity or information, people are making a lot of assumptions on CVS, the team, her situation at home/with her family, etc.

A lot can be said about CVS and her abilities as a coach; I don't think anyone, in her 50+ year career, has ever questioned her work ethic. I hope we hear more soon.

Picture of team after scrimmage in Philadelphia this week.

FDELRoMWYAAvjai

The issue is CVIV was reportedly with the team up until contract renewal in April. Once the contract negotiation was complete and announced in April is when she no longer came to the office. That is a horrible optic and needs to be explained.
She couldn’t possibly have 8 months of sick time built up. As long as she isn’t getting paid, this situation has to end in March. It is time.

I'll give Hobbs the benefit of doubt and let him decide what the fans should know.
But not happy about the lack of information, even though it might be a health issue that should be kept private and not discuss because the public wants answers.
That's why I'll refrain from joining the $#!t or get iff the pot crowd.

Some of them might not really care about the lack of information, they'll use any reason, valid or not, to claim Viv must go.

She couldn’t possibly have 8 months of sick time built up. As long as she isn’t getting paid, this situation has to end in March. It is time.
Huh? Regardless of your personal opinion, you are just flat out wrong when it comes to family, and/or sick time leave in this state
we all know its time for CVS to retire
Mr Riley? Nice 10th post.

What job, in any state, would allow someone to collect 8 months of sick time and get paid for it ?

What job, in any state, would allow someone to collect 8 months of sick time and get paid for it ?
I worked at a large corporation that everyone has heard of. We had a guy basically stop showing up except on very rare occasions from a probable mental health issue. It was awkward when he did show. He wasn't given an ultimatum for almost 10 months. Shortly after that, he stopped coming in again and was fired.

The AD should make some sort of statement before the season starts, even if it has no details.

In the thread that was deleted, someone calculated it out based on the rules Rutgers operates under. Assuming she didn't otherwise take them (which we don't know), they documented that she had a huge amount more than enough to cover April to November. And apparently you "can" accumulate them in the system used at RU.

As to letting her take them, that is, in some fashion directly or indirectly, the AD's decision.

Damn the salary and amt. of sick days, etc. Whether she coaches or not takes a back seat to just hoping she and her family are okay, health-wise. Keeping things in perspective, this is my main concern . As much as she loves coaching, it must be serious for her to miss this much time.

Damn the salary and amt. of sick days, etc. Whether she coaches or not takes a back seat to just hoping she and her family are okay, health-wise. Keeping things in perspective, this is my main concern . As much as she loves coaching, it must be serious for her to miss this much time.
At least based on the NJ.com article it does not sound like she or any family member actually has Covid.

“Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer has stepped away from her day-to-day coaching duties in order to not get sick and to care for her family”

You are petitioning that sick days be forfeited if not used on a timely basis, unlike being able to be accrued (some reporting indicated she is taking all her accumulated sick days and other sources calculated that she certainly had sufficient to cover this absence).

And you are leading the charge to discipline whoever in the athletic department who approved this absence? Because someone did. If no one did, then you have a fire with cause situation. And then you can lead the charge to discipline whoever in the athletic department didn't do what is required.

If she is taking approved time off using accrued benefit time, then no justification is needed. At the same time, I 100% feel that it is virtually impossible that this has not negatively affected the team and season. I hope I'm wrong, but I get the anger.
She should be able to use sick days (assuming they accumulate), but once they are used up she should not get full pay if not working. My Dad was in education and had like 2 years of unused sick time when he retired.

Reactions: MADHAT1
In addition to her daughter's situation, Coach Stringer is a cancer survivor. Although I want to hear what will happen as far as CVS coaching this year I am not sure what Pat can say about her situation due to HIPPA constraints at this point. I would assume that a statement must go out before the first game. Until then I respect her privacy.

In addition to her daughter's situation, Coach Stringer is a cancer survivor. Although I want to hear what will happen as far as CVS coaching this year I am not sure what Pat can say about her situation due to HIPPA constraints at this point. I would assume that a statement must go out before the first game. Until then I respect her privacy.
No one is asking for the specifics of her or her family's health. I think they would like to hear from the AD what is going on, how are things being handled and what is the plan going forward. I don't think that is unreasonable.

No one is asking for the specifics of her or her family's health. I think they would like to hear from the AD what is going on, how are things being handled and what is the plan going forward. I don't think that is unreasonable.
I agree it would be nice for Hobbs to give a little information about when Vivian is expected to be on the bench and the reason for absence can remain private.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Maybe , just maybe C. Viv has not been vaccinated yet? It is just so strange that almost immediately after she comes to new contractual terms with Rutgers she goes into seclusion. We almost immediately gain 6 transfers and then she doesn’t even release a statement regarding the new contract. To the fan base that is a major question being that it is going on 8 months . If she is ill , and it is very possible that this may be the case , Vivian Stringer should be letting her supporters know.If she’s not then it may be simply she was not happy with this knew contract. When is the first game for the WBB team?

Maybe , just maybe C. Viv has not been vaccinated yet? It is just so strange that almost immediately after she comes to new contractual terms with Rutgers she goes into seclusion. We almost immediately gain 6 transfers and then she doesn’t even release a statement regarding the new contract. To the fan base that is a major question being that it is going on 8 months . If she is ill , and it is very possible that this may be the case , Vivian Stringer should be letting her supporters know.If she’s not then it may be simply she was not happy with this knew contract. When is the first game for the WBB team?
maybe she has and it's a personal health matter that is keeping her off the bench while it's being addressed.
I think when she went into seclusion there wasn't a real need to be personalty interacting with players and staff ( except by remote ) because the season was over .
Taking care of a personal issue or family issue might have caused her to step away from physically being with program and the RU AD seen that need and approved.
If she wasn't happy with her contract , we'd know it, CVS is not known to hide her displeasure.

But those who want Stringer gone find any excuse they can to say she isn't doing the job..
Sometimes speculating about anything and everything possible to use for their get gone reasoning.
I speculate why Hobbs approves her absence to support CVS & Hobbs on this absence issue , but my guesses are not as far fetched as some use to support their Stringer must go agenda.

At least based on the NJ.com article it does not sound like she or any family member actually has Covid.

“Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer has stepped away from her day-to-day coaching duties in order to not get sick and to care for her family”
Based on past history, I can't rely on NJ.com articles about CVS to tell the full story. I wasn't necessarily thinking that any of her family had Covid but CVS has had other health issues in the past. That is what makes me more and more concerned, the closer it gets to the first game of the season.

In my eyes, CVS is a woman of principle, who would not look to steal money from RU or leave her team hanging because she can still get paid. That line of thought is ludicrous. Not saying that you are suggesting that, but that is the narrative that some want to push, based on the vague article you refer to.

This current environment of vaccine/non-vaccine, mask/no mask is a real threat to a person of her age and medical history, as so many here have already stated. I hope she can find a way to continue doing what she loves, but this is definitely going to be an on-going challenge for her because it is not going to clear up any time soon, it appears.

I would be relieved if, avoiding crowds to stay safe, is the only reason for her absence. If that were confirmed, I could breathe a sigh of relief that it is not something else more serious. Lack of a statement is what has me more worried.

Reactions: rutgersron
There must be HIPAA issues and other legalities involved in this situation like crazy. However, isn't she considered a state employee? You would think that there might be something along those lines that would allow the AD or some Rutgers representative to say SOMETHING about what is going on with such a high profile, public-facing job. But, I guess not. Hopefully, Coach and family are OK and things will somehow be resolved soon. I know that in the football program almost no injury information is given anymore...and sometimes players just disappear off the roster without a word of explanation as to why. Must be interesting working in the Rutgers Legal Department. Hopefully, our current women basketball players are not getting taken advantage of by the whole situation. I can't imagine that our interim coach doesn't feel like a babysitter through all this...he seems like a stand-up guy.

maybe she has and it's a personal health matter that is keeping her off the bench while it's being addressed.
I think when she went into seclusion there wasn't a real need to be personalty interacting with players and staff ( except by remote ) because the season was over .
Taking care of a personal issue or family issue might have caused her to step away from physically being with program and the RU AD seen that need and approved.
If she wasn't happy with her contract , we'd know it, CVS is not known to hide her displeasure.

But those who want Stringer gone find any excuse they can to say she isn't doing the job..
Sometimes speculating about anything and everything possible to use for their get gone reasoning.
I speculate why Hobbs approves her absence to support CVS & Hobbs on this absence issue , but my guesses are not as far fetched as some use to support their Stringer must go agenda.
There must be HIPAA issues and other legalities involved in this situation like crazy. However, isn't she considered a state employee? You would think that there might be something along those lines that would allow the AD or some Rutgers representative to say SOMETHING about what is going on with such a high profile, public-facing job. But, I guess not. Hopefully, Coach and family are OK and things will somehow be resolved soon. I know that in the football program almost no injury information is given anymore...and sometimes players just disappear off the roster without a word of explanation as to why. Must be interesting working in the Rutgers Legal Department. Hopefully, our current women basketball players are not getting taken advantage of by the whole situation. I can't imagine that our interim coach doesn't feel like a babysitter through all this...he seems like a stand-up guy.

I’m not calling for Vivian Stringer ‘s job. We are stating (a fact ) that since she signed her contract she suspiciously has disappeared off the face of the earth and New Jersey. Your claim that it isn’t an important thing for Stringer to be with her team is based upon what thinking? You have almost an entirely new team and though some are excellent players they still are new to Rutgers, the school and the state itself. Perhaps she will appear in a vision and ease our minds. As long as the pandemic and virus stays around Viv will be at home. I hope she is well but there is more to this mysterious story .

I’m not calling for Vivian Stringer ‘s job. We are stating (a fact ) that since she signed her contract she suspiciously has disappeared off the face of the earth and New Jersey. Your claim that it isn’t an important thing for Stringer to be with her team is based upon what thinking? You have almost an entirely new team and though some are excellent players they still are new to Rutgers, the school and the state itself. Perhaps she will appear in a vision and ease our minds. As long as the pandemic and virus stays around Viv will be at home. I hope she is well but there is more to this mysterious story .
Not important to be with team right after signing extension was based on season being over .
Remote contact with players and assistants could get her points across on what players need to do and her staff knows what type of play should be stressed.
My main concern is that if it's a health related issue causing her to be home and not with the team physicly ( whether her and/or family member ) she be allowed the time to take care of it and keep family safe.
Also we don't know if the reason she's away from the program could be something that might jeopardize the health of those around her and that's why she's not with players and staff now...

Some things must be accepted because we trust those in charge and some reasons we don't know are because those in charge don't think it's something we should know because of personal privacy being violated by telling the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT