All Conference
Aug 12, 2005
Is the suspense driving you crazy?

Both leave?
Both stay?
Cliff leaves, Paul stays?
Paul leaves, Cliff stays?

How is everyone handicapping this one?

I think Paul is back, Cliff is 50/50. I think there is a decent enough chatter that Cliff could be drafted late 2nd or one of the first UDFAs like RHJr was. As a fan, I'd prefer him back but he has had more publicized NBA team workouts than RHJr. I think he could be a Mitchell Robinson type center that doesn't need plays run for him but can avg around 8pts/8reb or some double doubles by the end of the season into season 2 or tear up the G League like Ron did if he is signed to a 2 way contract.

Reactions: bitnez
I think Paul is back, Cliff is 50/50. I think there is a decent enough chatter that Cliff could be drafted late 2nd or one of the first UDFAs like RHJr was. As a fan, I'd prefer him back but he has had more publicized NBA team workouts than RHJr. I think he could be a Mitchell Robinson type center that doesn't need plays run for him but can avg around 8pts/8reb or some double doubles by the end of the season into season 2 or tear up the G League like Ron did if he is signed to a 2 way contract.
There is absolutely zero buzz that Cliff would be drafted. Can't find a single mock draft with him on it.

Cliff 75% chance gets udfa offer for g league

Paul coming back

Big deal. He’d have to know (or feel very confident that he was getting an offer for a 2 way contract for it to be worth entertaining).

As a Big Man, leaving early for the G league is foolish. Returning to school means NIL money. A strong season this year will mean he gets a Combine invite next year which would put him in way better position with a strong performance than he’s in right now. Sure - the day to day development in the G-league is better but that’s the case for everyone else around you in the G league. You basically have one chance to stand out there. His chances of being able to play that card with a 2 way arrangement next year figure to be way better than this year - unless someone is promising him a 2 way now.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
We don’t know if there is a team out there who sees his raw skills and thinks they have the ability to mold him in to a NBA player.
Yes, that’s certainly possible. That would be the path to staying in and it would involve knowledge of a 2 way deal forthcoming. Anything less than that means nothing.

There is absolutely zero buzz that Cliff would be drafted. Can't find a single mock draft with him on it.
Well, You do have to look in the right places

Only exist on this board deep in the comment sections by some fans with Scarlet colored glasses

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Big deal. He’d have to know (or feel very confident that he was getting an offer for a 2 way contract for it to be worth entertaining).

As a Big Man, leaving early for the G league is foolish. Returning to school means NIL money. A strong season this year will mean he gets a Combine invite next year which would put him in way better position with a strong performance than he’s in right now. Sure - the day to day development in the G-league is better but that’s the case for everyone else around you in the G league. You basically have one chance to stand out there. His chances of being able to play that card with a 2 way arrangement next year figure to be way better than this year - unless someone is promising him a 2 way now.
Yeah he'd have to be promised a two-way but he had more workouts than Ron Harper jr, can't make nil money because he's an international student although the trip overseas this summer apparently changes some of those rules, and lastly would make a lot more money in the g League than getting nil from Rutgers

Yeah he'd have to be promised a two-way but he had more workouts than Ron Harper jr, can't make nil money because he's an international student although the trip overseas this summer apparently changes some of those rules, and lastly would make a lot more money in the g League than getting nil from Rutgers
Richie podcast said he could and would make money. We’re traveling abroad this summer so there’s an avenue for it next season.

Are you saying Cliff would make less than $40k in NIL as average salary in G League was 40k last year.

Not paying a guy to mold him, not in this day of so much talent out there
He’s not saying a team would pay him. He’s saying they might offer him a 2 way. Only so many of those to throw around, but it is possible a team decides to use one on him.

If youre cliff and his camp watching where the NBA is headed and the performacnes from arguably his two best comps in robert williams and bam, you have to be pretty happy where your stock is and where its trending.

The league tends to shift quickly and you wonder how much demand grows in just one season for that role.

People brought up horford as a comp and then quickly many said Horford shoots a ton of threes. Well, that;s true he does...now. In his first 8 years in the league he attempted 8 3s a season. At the end of that year the Warriors won their first title. The very next season Horford's 9th, he took 256 3s. The league moves fast and it's good timing for cliff.

Are you saying Cliff would make less than $40k in NIL as average salary in G League was 40k last year.

2-Way contract is approx $500,000

Each team gets 3 (up from 2 last year)
However, Clif is competing against all players less than 3 years experience.

For example, RHJ is eligible for one again.
Him and Clif would both be in the pool of players competing for one.

Not paying a guy to mold him, not in this day of so much talent out there
There are only so many people on the planet that possess some of the skills/attributes Cliff has. I honestly don’t know how they translates to the NBA.

For every Cliff there are 100 Luke Garza or Dean Reiber (couldn’t resist).

There are only so many people on the planet that possess some of the skills/attributes Cliff has. I honestly don’t know how they translates to the NBA.

Just because Luka Garza isn't an NBA player doesn't mean there are a lot of other guys out there like him.
There are not.

Reactions: RUsojo
And somehow working in Jamichael Davis and his entire family, as well as introducing Marlon Williamson.

Then Dylan comes in at the end and commits.
And then during the closing credits Cam appears . He announces he’s coming back too!!

If youre cliff and his camp watching where the NBA is headed and the performacnes from arguably his two best comps in robert williams and bam, you have to be pretty happy where your stock is and where its trending.

The league tends to shift quickly and you wonder how much demand grows in just one season for that role.

People brought up horford as a comp and then quickly many said Horford shoots a ton of threes. Well, that;s true he does...now. In his first 8 years in the league he attempted 8 3s a season. At the end of that year the Warriors won their first title. The very next season Horford's 9th, he took 256 3s. The league moves fast and it's good timing for cliff.

None of that matters for his decision today. Even if he’s “trending well”, moving on without expectation of a 2 way still puts his odds of ever playing in an NBA game below where it would sit statistically with a return to school.

Without a 2 way, he’d have to really kill it consistently game in and out in the G league to have any chance of getting called up and would still need luck at that. A major long shot. Sure it’s not impossible, but the path to a 2 way would still be much more likely with a strong season back at RU and then a decent performance in the real combine.

None of that matters for his decision today. Even if he’s “trending well”, moving on without expectation of a 2 way still puts his odds of ever playing in an NBA game below where it would sit statistically with a return to school.

Without a 2 way, he’d have to really kill it consistently game in and out in the G league to have any chance of getting called up and would still need luck at that. A major long shot. Sure it’s not impossible, but the path to a 2 way would still be much more likely with a strong season back at RU and then a decent performance in the real combine.
Actually the opposite is true. The longer your in college the less likely you are to play in NBA.

Actually the opposite is true. The longer your in college the less likely you are to play in NBA.

That statement is generally true. I don’t believe it’s true though about Cliff’s statistical odds of ever playing in the NBA because in his case - getting that initial “IN” is going to be his biggest challenge. Maybe he’s in line for a 2 way now - if so, that’s different. If he goes back to school, he WILL go to the combine next year barring a disaster of a season. If that happens, next year, he would be in good shape for a 2 way for sure. If he’s not getting a 2 way now, he has to stand out in a much bigger way in the G league next season than he would with a 2 way next season. That’s just the way it works. He’s not being considered based on potential at this point. Too late for that. It’s all about proving what he can do on the court. With a 2 way - if you have a good game or 2 at the right time, you are pulled up and you put on that NBA uniform.

I like cliff a lot. However, his skills are limited and not really NBA relevant at this point. He needs hands, a lot more strength, and some offensive capacity. NBA bigs will give him fits in the paint. Don't see him getting a 2 way.

2-Way contract is approx $500,000

Each team gets 3 (up from 2 last year)
However, Clif is competing against all players less than 3 years experience.

For example, RHJ is eligible for one again.
Him and Clif would both be in the pool of players competing for one.

Yes, I read it quickly. Two ways they make good money.

Planet? Hmm. He has very little inside game other than dunks, no handle to speak of, no consistent shot from outside, hands not great. These are not really disputable “attributes “. He needs more time to develop.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Planet? Hmm. He has very little inside game other than dunks, no handle to speak of, no consistent shot from outside, hands not great. These are not really disputable “attributes “. He needs more time to develop.

Agree. While cliff is hugely important for RU.

His talents are hardly rare when compared to the ridiculous athletes in the NBA

Is he AS talented as your average NBA player - I would say yes for sure. But I wouldn’t say he is much MORE talented than your average NBA player. Imho on player-by-player basis the nba has the most talented athletes in the world.

But we all know his chances in the nba aren’t limited by his talent. His problem is that he isn’t as skilled

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT