ADVERTISEMENT

It’s our fault Paul’s leaving

I also think this represents the way my generation thinks about things vs. Paul’s generation . . .

Not sure your age but I'm late (very late?) 30s.

The irony is that Paul's generation grew up with the internet - and the associated awfulness of the internet.
I would assume he's been "online" for over a decade.
You would think this generation would be used to it by now and cancel out the noise.

Growing up we didn't have online bullying or harassment. It stopped at the school property line.
That's why I think so many on here freak out about every little blog online that dispages Rutgers. They think it represents the entire world because they aren't used to just how insignificant people are online.

Is there any reason to think at all he is leaving because some fans pissed him off on social media? He is leaving because his minutes are jeopardized, IMO, and probably some more NIL.

Reactions: satnom
He badly needs to change scenery. Whether it was the pressure of expectations or something else, he was really frustrated down the stretch. Best of luck and thank you for helping to get this team out of the constant dumpster fire.
Injuries are the most likely explanation. Disagree on needing a change but that’s moot now.

Injuries are the most likely explanation. Disagree on needing a change but that’s moot now.

Why are they more likely? I saw him with his head down, complaining or otherwise looking disinterested a lot more than rubbing his shoulder, stretching, etc.

Why are they more likely? I saw him with his head down, complaining or otherwise looking disinterested a lot more than rubbing his shoulder, stretching, etc.
Agreed thankfully we will not have to listen to ALL of the excuses behind why he was not good anymore. He started at PG in over roughly 90 games and was good to great in roughly 11-12 of them. Lost us key games in the tournament or just trying to get in the tournament. Multiple on court issues (trips fights etc). Was the senior PG in the biggest meltdown in RU hoops history. Lost his job and rightfully so to a freshman which should have happened 15 games sooner. Good guy off the court but very avg player.

Reactions: satnom
Paul was as RU as you can possibly get. He got so much flack on this board and social media and it probably got to be too much. And with all the haters on here / Twitter/ Instagram, it makes it seem like the fan base is against him when it’s the same 10 or so knuckleheads who are the loudest.

Hopefully as a fan base we learn to not be aholes to our own guys, but I would not bet on that. Keep it up and Pike leaves too. This is why we can’t have nice things.
This crazy. it is our fault because we didnt donate enough to keep him...

On a side note, if Paul is as Rutgers as you can get than we have a serious problem that he wants to leave.

Paul’s reputation outside this board is essentially opposite of how most Rutgers fans view him. Maybe the first player of his kind to wear an RU uniform in this regard. He’s the most hated player in the big ten. And nationally his reputation isn’t very good.

Last edited:
This crazy. it is our fault because we didnt donate enough to keep him...

On a side note, if Paul is as Rutgers as you can get than we have a serious problem that he wants to leave.
Agreed ! All of this whining that it is the message boards are absolutely laughable. If you want to point to Instagram or Twitter since he had to delete them, ok. However, why did he have to delete them? It was mentally small bush league antics on the court. Don’t try and trip TJD and the IU fan base doesn’t attack you.(wrongfully so) Then you don’t have to delete your social media. Nothing to do w message boards or RU. Self inflicted!!!

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Curious if you’ve taken even a minute to read the boards of other teams.
All in I would consider us tame!
I am sure you are 100% right. It still wouldn’t change the fact that a player would let it be a factor in a decision.

If BrianLeonard was transported in to 2023 it would be a pro reason to stay with RU.

This ain't pop warner, or 1950. Stop already. Hell, I bet it was pretty intense in 1950 as well. This isn't your grandson's grammar school. Paul tossed a ball out of bounds in a critical spot, flopped obviously twice in a major game, tripped a class-act good player who was rightfully dominating us at home bc he was sick of losing, etc. I love the kid as a player and person, but he wasn't above criticism for his shoddy play at the end of the year. If he plays up to his own standards, we make the tourney.

There were games at the end of last year where it was better when Paul was sitting. That's just a fact. It's sad and he is better than that. But that's how he was playing. Hopefully he knows that and owns it and gets past it. As should we. Richie already said on a podcast that Paul may not even be a starter next year.

I wish him the absolute best, will applaud him wherever I see him (except for the year he plays foe a BIG team, if he does), and will always admire and appreciate what he did for RU and as a Big Ten high level college ball player, something I could never be.

That being said, fans are fans, sports are sports, and the dude caught some flack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT