ADVERTISEMENT

It's over, pack it up and go home. Hobbs not supporting NIL at RU.

Portnoy and friends will be at the game tomorrow so maybe Hobbs will give him a call.

Thru thick.

But I wonder how that works when it’s mostly thin?

I can't speak to USC but I can to OSU with a lot of family out there. Through thick and thin, but when there's thin the "fire coach" sentiment is as intense as the "fire Ash" was around here. And the following in-state is just so much larger that NJ and Rutgers as a percentage of the population.

Portnoy and friends will be at the game tomorrow so maybe Hobbs will give him a call.
It would be utter incompetence if he didn’t. Seriously, the NIL setup is RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! Barstool is MASSIVE in the college scene. The only potential holdup would be Dave’s allegiance to Michigan. But seriously, imagine ‘Barstool Stadium’ where we give them more reign to add elements to our stadium and promote their brand. It’s such an obvious partnership and we are by far the closest P5 team geographically to their HC.

I can't speak to USC but I can to OSU with a lot of family out there. Through thick and thin, but when there's thin the "fire coach" sentiment is as intense as the "fire Ash" was around here. And the following in-state is just so much larger that NJ and Rutgers as a percentage of the population.
Their thin is the Pinstripe.

We agree on nothing. Nothing.
The largest donors are well aware of what is needed. It has been emphasized. What is shared with donors is not always shared publicly. Not sure what else you want, except to tear down our AD.

Have you joined one of the NIL collectives? How much have you donated? If nothing, that's not going to cut it.
I’ve been in TKR since day 1.

Hobbs needs to get out in the public with this. A simple statement will go a long way. Did you not notice the mindset shift after Schiano made a statement? Fans and businesses need to know that the AD understands and supports NIL. Education needs to be spread.

Thats senior leadership 101 and has not been done yet.

Reactions: bori_blanco
Why the sudden urgency?

We've been behind in donor money for decades it seems according to many.

Has the AD (over different leadership) just always been bad at fundraising?
Even Iif they ban NIL tomorrow - isn't the rest of the Big Ten still crushing us?

Eventually conference payout will be equal (after paying back our advances). But we'll still behind in revenue because of direct to AD donations, right? And by a lot?

The NIL without a reasonable cap, just to give these kids some spending money is a COMPLETE FAIL by the NCAA. After all these years of looking the other way at what the blue bloods did, the forking NCAA managed to come up with a system that's even worse. Unforking real.
The NCAA didnt come up with this system, the federal government did. The NCAA seems to botch a whole bunch of issues, but this ain't one of them.
Ok let’s have Hobbs pretend as well.. What exactly does the pretending consist of?’
Hobbs cannot be involved. Why is this so difficult to understand?
This is what Ohio State is doing. Sadly, Rutgers doesn’t to be as supportive, but I’m not sure why.
Blue bloods have always found a way to skirt the rules. If caught, they get a slap on the wrist. Rutgers gets caught (ala Flood talking to a professor) and we get a higher proportion of sanctions for lesser violations. See UNC, no show, for their classes example.
My basic problem with this thread, is we still have no concrete statement from anyone IN THIS THREAD about what Hobbs has or has not done to "no support NIL." It is either lacking information, misleading, or at worst, totally false. It is a shame that the thread had been up this long and there are no concrete facts on the assertions made. But it is typical of some of our fans.
Exactly..he said/she said wins the day. Even if Hobbs camee out and made a statement saying he doesnt support NIL, I'm not sure I would believe it.
Why wasn’t “Pat” in the Rutgers football team photo with the Governor?
Not in one photo op and you are still hanging on this? By the way, I heard Hobbs was the one taking the pictures with his cell phone and complained his arms weren't long enough to do a selfie with that big of a group.

The NCAA didnt come up with this system, the federal government did. The NCAA seems to botch a whole bunch of issues, but this ain't one of them.

Hobbs cannot be involved. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Blue bloods have always found a way to skirt the rules. If caught, they get a slap on the wrist. Rutgers gets caught (ala Flood talking to a professor) and we get a higher proportion of sanctions for lesser violations. See UNC, no show, for their classes example.

Exactly..he said/she said wins the day. Even if Hobbs camee out and made a statement saying he doesnt support NIL, I'm not sure I would believe it.

Not in one photo op and you are still hanging on this? By the way, I heard Hobbs was the one taking the pictures with his cell phone and complained his arms weren't long enough to do a selfie with that big of a group.
He can have conversations with people who want to help Rutgers Athletics stay competitive. He can allow his coaches to have conversations with people who want to help their teams stay competitive. He can allow his Boards, Committees and general staff to have conversations with people who want to help.

He can have conversations with people who want to help Rutgers Athletics stay competitive. He can allow his coaches to have conversations with people who want to help their teams stay competitive. He can allow his Boards, Committees and general staff to have conversations with people who want to help.

I won't comment on the specifics of AD Hobbs and NIL but in general, he (and the AD staff) is paid to know the details of the rules and how Rutgers can operate within them to gain every advantage.
NIL, fundraising, NCAA rules - his job is the get right up to the edge of the line and operate there.

And you are saying he does nothing of the sort? You said he is not having conversations to help Rutgers Athletics stay competitive. Has he told you he doesn't and will not do anything to help NIL and the student athletes within the realm of legalities? Did Greg say he cannot have conversations with people too? Do you really think, he and Greg would come out and tell everyone they were involved with NIL when they cannot be involved? Also he is not trying to stay competitive, he highly doubt he wouldn't be our AD. And by the way, other than football (which is on the upswing but has a mountain to climb), he has pretty much improved just about all RU sports from top to bottom.

And you are saying he does nothing of the sort? You said he is not having conversations to help Rutgers Athletics stay competitive. Has he told you he doesn't and will not do anything to help NIL and the student athletes within the realm of legalities? Did Greg say he cannot have conversations with people too? Do you really think, he and Greg would come out and tell everyone they were involved with NIL when they cannot be involved? Also he is not trying to stay competitive, he highly doubt he wouldn't be our AD. And by the way, other than football (which is on the upswing but has a mountain to climb), he has pretty much improved just about all RU sports from top to bottom.
Who’s says they can’t be involved, that’s what i’d like to know. As mentioned the legislation restriction doesn’t start till 2025 why would #RU Athletics adhere to that law NOW MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

Hopefully soon an update is provided on this issue..

I was responding to ur previous post: Hobbs cannot be involved. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Good luck with that.
As I said in a post somewhere on this thread, the problem has been to find consensus about what federal NIL legislation should say. But I think it's far from impossible. Often legislative deals come together at the end of a Congress, so it might happen in the next few months.

As I said in a post somewhere on this thread, the problem has been to find consensus about what federal NIL legislation should say. But I think it's far from impossible. Often legislative deals come together at the end of a Congress, so it might happen in the next few months.

I think the one problem with that is that I can't see this as being trade bait for getting some other bills passed. Worthy thought and I wish it was.

I think the one problem with that is that I can't see this as being trade bait for getting some other bills passed. Worthy thought and I wish it was.
I worked on Capitol Hill long enough to know that everything is trade bait in the sense that agreeing with somebody else on an issue makes it more likely they'll agree with you on some other issue ( logrolling") I also think that in this case almost everyone knows that federal legislation is needed. Otherwise all states will be forced to adopt the Alabama approach of zero-regulation (a "race to the bottom") and almost no one wants that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT