ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Jones Defense

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
NOw of course he obviously has barely played in the last 5 or 6 games but when he was in against Maryland albeit for only 5 minutes I specifically watched him on defense and I saw nothing to indicate that he is so bad on defense like everyone says; even in the earlier games I watched him and save for a couple of plays not bad; look Cliff gets absolutely burnt on the pick and roll so many times; Mulcahy because he is so slow always has to cheat on defense and many times is off his man especially at the 3 point line and look at the final 3 against Minnesota he just stood there and watched I think Loewe? shoot and make that 3 so in my opinion we need to get Jaden in the game and work out plays for him to get open 3 point looks

I agree,play him,see how he develops,before he transfers at seasons end.

I think Jaden will be a very good player but.....

On Defense he appeared to have trouble getting through screens. Needs to hit weight room.

On Offense he does not seem to cut or get open. I admit he seems smooth on videos but I never see defense on those videos.

Jaden lacks the level of hustle required at this level and also is lost when it comes to when he’s supposed to help, rotate and when he shouldn’t (team defense). With that said, I agree we need to get him out there at least 10-15 min/game.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
it was criminal he came in the other day and didnt get any shot attempts, whats the point coach when your players are purposely not giving him the ball
IF that's true, what does it say about the player if the other players won't give him the ball? The rest of his stat line was 0-0-0-0-0-0. I don't want to be critical of the player, but tough to blame the coach for a complete goose-egg.

Reactions: RC71 and Loyal-Son
NOw of course he obviously has barely played in the last 5 or 6 games but when he was in against Maryland albeit for only 5 minutes I specifically watched him on defense and I saw nothing to indicate that he is so bad on defense like everyone says; even in the earlier games I watched him and save for a couple of plays not bad; look Cliff gets absolutely burnt on the pick and roll so many times; Mulcahy because he is so slow always has to cheat on defense and many times is off his man especially at the 3 point line and look at the final 3 against Minnesota he just stood there and watched I think Loewe? shoot and make that 3 so in my opinion we need to get Jaden in the game and work out plays for him to get open 3 point looks
He's still learning our 26 awesome in bounds plays.

IF that's true, what does it say about the player if the other players won't give him the ball? The rest of his stat line was 0-0-0-0-0-0. I don't want to be critical of the player, but tough to blame the coach for a complete goose-egg.
How about setting him up for a shot? It’s not that difficult and he’s supposed to be a shooter. I don’t remember him even touching the ball and was just standing in the corner…probably by design..since Miller was doing it earlier in the game vs. the zone….which is a whole separate topic.

Jaden lacks the level of hustle required at this level and also is lost when it comes to when he’s supposed to help, rotate and when he shouldn’t (team defense). With that said, I agree we need to get him out there at least 10-15 min/game.
The other day when Pike finally put him in, he was locked in on defense on his man for the first time all year. He was up on his man, took away a 3 attempt and a baseline drive and even denied an entry pass. The tape does not lie. Hopefully Pike watches it because why he didn’t play in the second half especially with Paul throwing up a goose egg, was costly. They also could have run him off a double screen to get a top of the key jumper like Sasha from Purdue or a baseline pin down. Unfortunately when Maryland went zone after the first few possessions , Miller was in the game instead of Jones , and got passed the ball 3-4 times and could do nothing with it. Jones in that spot breaks the scoring drought a lot sooner.

Reactions: Rutgers36 and RC71
He was engaged to start, but Pikiell pulled him because of a bad, bad defensive miscue just as we were starting to get back in it. Down 29-15, Ayala got a long rebound on a missed Geo jumper and started fast break. Paul was on Ayala and Jones was on Russell, but on the break, Jones decided to leave Russell along to help on Ayala. Ayala dished to Russell for a wide open 3.

He was engaged to start, but Pikiell pulled him because of a bad, bad defensive miscue just as we were starting to get back in it. Down 29-15, Ayala got a long rebound on a missed Geo jumper and started fast break. Paul was on Ayala and Jones was on Russell, but on the break, Jones decided to leave Russell along to help on Ayala. Ayala dished to Russell for a wide open 3.
Ok Mulcahy left Bohannon twice against Iowa for wide open 3 pointers their best 3 point shooter so does he get pulled no

How about setting him up for a shot? It’s not that difficult and he’s supposed to be a shooter. I don’t remember him even touching the ball and was just standing in the corner…probably by design..since Miller was doing it earlier in the game vs. the zone….which is a whole separate topic.
That's a different question. I could counter by saying how about getting your own shot? Which could happen by actually getting a rebound. The bigger point is 5 totally invisible minutes (other than being caught on screens). Zero shots, rebounds, assists...it's a plus that the turnovers and fouls were also zeros. In sum...nothing, nada, bupkis. Again, I'm not down on the kid, it just looks like he's not ready. And to say just give him minutes based on "hope" rather than merit based performance (practice or games) isn't how it's done.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I do not believe it to be true since Geo was the one slowly making his way up court and did not even try to go after Ayala but I would have to look at the film. He was not making the terrible defensive errors he was making earlier and was really sitting down and guarding in a defensive position. It as good to see and my first indication that Pike ‘s preaching and keeping him glued to the bench had its intended message sent and received and acted upon.

Reactions: BillyC80
No problem with what you are saying but he’s supposed to be one of your best shooters and is probably lacking confidence….at least that’s my guess since he barely gets off the bench. An open shot or an early bucket could do wonders…not to mention helping an offensive challenged team. Shouldn’t we be trying to put players into in position to succeed instead of just throwing them out there?

That's a different question. I could counter by saying how about getting your own shot? Which could happen by actually getting a rebound. The bigger point is 5 totally invisible minutes (other than being caught on screens). Zero shots, rebounds, assists...it's a plus that the turnovers and fouls were also zeros. In sum...nothing, nada, bupkis. Again, I'm not down on the kid, it just looks like he's not ready. And to say just give him minutes based on "hope" rather than merit based performance (practice or games) isn't how it's done.
Not totally fair either. Maryland was shooting like 65% so there were no rebounds to get . He did move a few times to get open but never saw the ball because it was not swung side to side. Paul threw a pass to him into the 3rd row. He doesn’t get blame for that.
Pike could have run a double screen with Jones curling to the top of the key or a pin down or he could have him man the middle of the zone at the foul line instead of Paul but none of that was run for him. So I think any criticism of Jones for the total of 5 minutes he played in the first half without being given any opportunity to shoot the ball is totally unwarranted in this game.

Not totally fair either. Maryland was shooting like 65% so there were no rebounds to get . He did move a few times to get open but never saw the ball because it was not swung side to side. Paul threw a pass to him into the 3rd row. He doesn’t get blame for that.
Pike could have run a double screen with Jones curling to the top of the key or a pin down or he could have him man the middle of the zone at the foul line instead of Paul but none of that was run for him. So I think any criticism of Jones for the total of 5 minutes he played in the first half without being given any opportunity to shoot the ball is totally unwarranted in this game.
Again, not blaming or criticizing the player. I'm criticizing posters who attribute his 5 empty minutes to the coach, or to his teammates that "wouldn't pass him the ball." If I wanted to be snarky I'd say "Reading is fundamental", but there's so much blather on this board it's hard to keep track of who said what.

It's because of the ISO ball hog at PG. Harper is often invisible too. Why should they bother ? They are on the same court with the NIL version of Reggie Miller so let them just admire #0 up close. Sure, everyone loves Baker when he hits a few shots but that's hardly team offense. He doesn't share the ball as a PG should.

Mulcahy should be the point. Then you'd see more production from the others.

Rational and fact-based?

Get out of here you

Yeah so what. The entire team has been leaving people open on 3’s. Pike is a hypocrite.

Last edited:
agree, amazingly Jones a frosh is singled out for EVERY mistake while seniors are given passes right and left from GAME 1 this year
Because Geo and to greater extent Paul and Ron are slow. They have an excuse. Does that make it a true double standard ? Dunno.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
I mean the same coach also recruited him so ultimately it's on Pike

In games where we are really struggling scoring, the risk/reward of having Jones in and getting some looks on offense vs defensively liability has to be worth it

As some have said, we do see lapses on defense from upperclassmen. One mistake for some and that's all they get.

Gotta figure Jones has gotten the message by not playing and will see more effort on that end if he got some minutes

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT