ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Kill now taking on new challenges at Rutgers

RUfromSoCal?

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/jerry-kill-now-taking-on-new-challenges-at-rutgers

Thanks Bobby - enjoyed the new article!

my favorite part: "I told the offensive staff that I don’t want to hear about it’s the players’ fault. It is our fault."

I know all coaches avoid blamming players .. .but sure seemed at times DM was saying "hey, I know what I'm doing - it's these players who can't execute"....

Spot on philosophy. Where we are at now we can't wait for top NJ kids to decide whether they want to play in state. Get a philosophy in place to be identified by and fit in the players who beat can execute it. At some point you hope the top players realize the grass is not greener in PA, OH or MI.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/jerry-kill-now-taking-on-new-challenges-at-rutgers

Thanks Bobby - enjoyed the new article!

my favorite part: "I told the offensive staff that I don’t want to hear about it’s the players’ fault. It is our fault."

I know all coaches avoid blamming players .. .but sure seemed at times DM was saying "hey, I know what I'm doing - it's these players who can't execute"....

Sometimes?

Drew was a master at blaming the players - I found his press releases an exercise in deflecting blame

Listen to the way Jerry speaks and listen to the way Drew does and think about who you would rather work for..

Sometimes?

Drew was a master at blaming the players - I found his press releases an exercise in deflecting blame

Listen to the way Jerry speaks and listen to the way Drew does and think about who you would rather work for..
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. Wise old sage vs. wet behind the ears young buck.

This is what it's all about.

We have to recruit the foundation. We have to recruit to Rutgers,” Kill said. “Everybody gets caught up on this guy being a 13-star or whatever the hell that is. It is more important to me to recruit to your culture and what you want out of your football team and who you want to be. That is the most important thing. I go back to [Bill] Belichick and New England. You can name three or four players on their team but the rest of them no one really knows about sometimes. He recruits to his culture. I think that’s what we’ve got to do here, and that’s what we are doing.”

Reactions: onesimus
I recommend reading the On The Banks article where they talked with Minnesotas writers, basically said he'll be great for Ash with experience of turning program around, but was confused why he was OC since his teams struggled offensively

This is what it's all about.

We have to recruit the foundation. We have to recruit to Rutgers,” Kill said. “Everybody gets caught up on this guy being a 13-star or whatever the hell that is. It is more important to me to recruit to your culture and what you want out of your football team and who you want to be. That is the most important thing. I go back to [Bill] Belichick and New England. You can name three or four players on their team but the rest of them no one really knows about sometimes. He recruits to his culture. I think that’s what we’ve got to do here, and that’s what we are doing.”

Changed the emphasis, but overall agree.

I recommend reading the On The Banks article where they talked with Minnesotas writers, basically said he'll be great for Ash with experience of turning program around, but was confused why he was OC since his teams struggled offensively

How were his offenses relative to their talent?

Why "confused"? His O's did EXACTLY what Kill wanted them to do: eat up clock, minimize mistakes, and get 500+ yards rushing out of the QB each season, because he knew man-for-man most teams had more athleticism than his did. With better talent/athleticism, plus those philosophies, this O can/will run very well in time.

Actually when I read the article the guy was more confused with the hire because Kill didn't run the offense ever at Minnesota Matt Limegrover was running the offense for Kill the whole time.

Why "confused"? His O's did EXACTLY what Kill wanted them to do: eat up clock, minimize mistakes, and get 500+ yards rushing out of the QB each season, because he knew man-for-man most teams had more athleticism than his did. With better talent/athleticism, plus those philosophies, this O can/will run very well in time.
To reiterate what seels said above.
Don't know what Woz was referring to, but if you read that article, the Minnesota blogger said: "I think it is a very odd hire. From an offensive standpoint, I've just never viewed Kill as any sort of an offensive architect. Limegrover called plays on offense so it's not like he even was the guy pulling those strings."

Reactions: CCvNYC
I think you both misunderstood me:

First off I wasn't insinuating that Kill ran the O. Secondly I'm pretty damn sure that Kill, as "HEAD COACH," had a major say in WHAT he wanted from the O (just like Ash does), hence, my comments stand and hopefully make sense to you both.

Reactions: CCvNYC
I think you both misunderstood me:

First off I wasn't insinuating that Kill ran the O. Secondly I'm pretty damn sure that Kill, as "HEAD COACH," had a major say in WHAT he wanted from the O (just like Ash does), hence, my comments stand and hopefully make sense to you both.
I think there is some legit concerns regarding play calling.

But in terms of general offensive understanding? Or ability to coordinate an offense? Zero concerns from me.

Anyone think that Kill could, to an extent, be an advisor on the defensive side of the ball?

Or is that maybe even in practice now among the coaching ranks. Do O coordinators and D coordinators advise and influence one another?

Anyone think that Kill could, to an extent, be an advisor on the defensive side of the ball?

Or is that maybe even in practice now among the coaching ranks. Do O coordinators and D coordinators advise and influence one another?

Already have Ash working with the defense. It is his defense.

I think there is some legit concerns regarding play callingme.

But why? You do know he was an OC at Pittsburg State for three years, right? Does everyone realize this? As of right now I have zero concerns to be honest

NUTS: Let's be objective here. DM was co-OC at James Madison.

Can one really say being OC at Pitt State(!?) 100 years ago is even relevant today? The game has changed so much, what with the pattern-matching coverage, zone-blitzing, run-pass-options, tempo all the time, etc.

Heck, the NFL game is a lot different from even just 5 years ago because of these advancements....

One of our subsidiaries is based in Minnesota. I have been there 6 times in the past 3 months. One guy, who is a big time U. of MN fan, told me he thinks in 2 years Kill will be HC at RU. He thinks he's an excellent coach that RU is lucky to have.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
One of our subsidiaries is based in Minnesota. I have been there 6 times in the past 3 months. One guy, who is a big time U. of MN fan, told me he thinks in 2 years Kill will be HC at RU. He thinks he's an excellent coach that RU is lucky to have.
But how would that play out? Where does Ash go?

But why? You do know he was an OC at Pittsburg State for three years, right? Does everyone realize this? As of right now I have zero concerns to be honest
Oh yes, I remember his time at Pittsburgh state well. His play calling was so innovative I remember thinking, this will go over well in the B1G 25 years from now.:smiley:

Kidding aside, I expect some pretty conservative play calling.

Oh yes, I remember his time at Pittsburgh state well. His play calling was so innovative I remember thinking, this will go over well in the B1G 25 years from now.:smiley:

Houston and OSU under Herman were 60/40 run/pass.

I'm excited about our new OC, his last several interviews is just what the doctor ordered.
I'm also liking what I'm hearing. His experience and philosophy are an instant improvement to the program. I'm once again looking forward to another season. Anxious to see ANY improvement.

Kill address this when he was first hired, he said that he was very involved with the offense design and game planning at Minnesota

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
The inference was that Ash would not have success, and the Kill would then take over. I don't see that happening, but he knows his Football, and thinks Kill is a tremendous coach. Just found his perspective interesting
Thing is, Kill either helps Ash become successful, and thus helps Ash stay at RU, or the team flounders and both are given the boot.

I could see Rutgers playing so well that in 3-4 years Ash bolts, but is Kill still here at that point? I'd sign up for that right now.

Guys I haven't worked in commodities since 2001. That doesn't mean I couldn't be up-and-running in less than a week or two, nor does it mean I can't be successful, so pease let's not be so short-sighted.

Conservative? Don't believe so as we'll still run the power spread - for the 1000th time - just need the right moving parts and it could get fun again!

Last edited:
Maybe the best coaching addition since Ralph Harry Friedgen.
Yes, and look what happened after he left, what a difference the right
coaches can do. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we won 8 games with
him. And could have had 9, but we lost a real close one we should have won.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Yup. Everything about his recent statements AND his coaching history AND your post are in complete alignment.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

All right, smart guy. He was OC at Pitt State 1991-93. In 1991, the team finished 13–1–1 and won the NCAA Division II Football Championship and also played in the Division II championship game in 1992.
Pitt State Records:

Most Consecutive Victories (Playoffs included)
25 Oct. 11, 1991 to Dec. 12, 1992
RUSHING, TEAM
Most Yards Gained

4. Portland State, Dec. 5, 1992 558
7. Missouri Southern, Oct. 24, 1992 528

Single Season Yards Att. Yards
1. Ronald Moore, 1992 356 2585
7. Ronald Moore, 1991 264 1576

RECEIVING, INDIVIDUAL

Most Yards Gained
Career Yards Rec. Yards

2. Ronnie West, 1990-91 123 2521
Single Season Yards Rec. Yards
1. Ronnie West, 1991 74 1495
---------------------------------
After being an OC for a prolific offense, Kill moved up the coaching ladder, taking over as HC at Saginaw Valley State, then Emporia State, then Southern Illinois, then NIU, then Minnesota.
At Southern Illinois, Kill was the first coach to produce four consecutive winning seasons and is credited with turning the football team around to a winning program. On September 26, 2006, he became the school's all-time leader in winning percentage after a "pounding" of Indiana State, 55–3.

I can only hope we having 500+ rushing yards in a single game, and RBs with 1600 and 2600 rushing yards in a season, and a WR with 1500 receiving yards in a season.

Reactions: winRU
All right, smart guy. He was OC at Pitt State 1991-93. In 1991, the team finished 13–1–1 and won the NCAA Division II Football Championship and also played in the Division II championship game in 1992.
Pitt State Records:

Most Consecutive Victories (Playoffs included)
25 Oct. 11, 1991 to Dec. 12, 1992
RUSHING, TEAM
Most Yards Gained

4. Portland State, Dec. 5, 1992 558
7. Missouri Southern, Oct. 24, 1992 528

Single Season Yards Att. Yards
1. Ronald Moore, 1992 356 2585
7. Ronald Moore, 1991 264 1576

RECEIVING, INDIVIDUAL

Most Yards Gained
Career Yards Rec. Yards

2. Ronnie West, 1990-91 123 2521
Single Season Yards Rec. Yards
1. Ronnie West, 1991 74 1495
---------------------------------
After being an OC for a prolific offense, Kill moved up the coaching ladder, taking over as HC at Saginaw Valley State, then Emporia State, then Southern Illinois, then NIU, then Minnesota.
At Southern Illinois, Kill was the first coach to produce four consecutive winning seasons and is credited with turning the football team around to a winning program. On September 26, 2006, he became the school's all-time leader in winning percentage after a "pounding" of Indiana State, 55–3.

I can only hope we having 500+ rushing yards in a single game, and RBs with 1600 and 2600 rushing yards in a season, and a WR with 1500 receiving yards in a season.

FACTS being FACTS!!!

I am also in the camp that has some level of concerns with Kill calling plays, based on his Minny teams and how they mostly struggled offensively, even appeared mostly 1 dimensional--as a power running team, and had very poor QB play. Now their backs were good but his value may be more as a veteran coach. Hopefully I am wrong.

Reactions: RUwoz
There was a lot of talk about adding another young offensive coach along with Kill once the extra coordinator position is approved. Any idea who that might be?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT