ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith’s act is getting old

DUForever

Freshman
Mar 11, 2016
I’ll admit to strongly disliking him based on the stunts he pulled in our dual at JMA in 2019 and his whining in the Suriano/ Fix final. This is a guy who should be iconic in the wrestling community but is now known to many as a crybaby who puts the actual wrestling on the mat secondary to his “mind games” to influence officials. His behavior last night certainly did not win over any “once a year” viewers to become fans of this great sport. I wholeheartedly agree with Ragusin’s comments post match on Friday night. Google them but know that they are not family friendly. Time for the Ol’ Cowpoke to ride off into the sunset while he still has a sliver of respect left In the community. Makes one appreciate Dan Gable even more as he ages gracefully.

I’ll admit to strongly disliking him based on the stunts he pulled in our dual at JMA in 2019 and his whining in the Suriano/ Fix final. This is a guy who should be iconic in the wrestling community but is now known to many as a crybaby who puts the actual wrestling on the mat secondary to his “mind games” to influence officials. His behavior last night certainly did not win over any “once a year” viewers to become fans of this great sport. I wholeheartedly agree with Ragusin’s comments post match on Friday night. Google them but know that they are not family friendly. Time for the Ol’ Cowpoke to ride off into the sunset while he still has a sliver of respect left In the community. Makes one appreciate Dan Gable even more as he ages gracefully.
Smith is doing whatever he thinks can to give his wrestler an edge, within rules… yes that tactic includes a lot of whining and getting the refs on his side but if it works.. can’t really blame him I guess…

A lot of the wrestling community has sort of come to Fix’s defense saying how wrong it is that so many people booed a guy who has come up short despite dedicating his life to the sport.

John Smith should take a good long hard look in the mirror and figure out why that’s what happened this weekend.

My problem with Fix has nothing to do with Smith. Smith is a whole other issue. My problem with Fix is his "accidental" ingestion of daddy's unlabeled, steroid water. I think I remember the ostarine was traced back to and was purchased/supplied by an OSU trainer. Feel free to read between those lines.

Many of you guys have forgotten more about wrestling than I will ever know, but what I don’t understand is how Smith’s antics could possibly “get the refs on his side?” I just don’t get it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Many of you guys have forgotten more about wrestling than I will ever know, but what I don’t understand is how Smith’s antics could possibly “get the refs on his side?” I just don’t get it.
Make calls in his favor just to shut him up, or 50-50 calls in his favor so you don’t have to deal with the verbal assault and crying. Some of it done consciously, some of it done subconsciously. There are way more refs that will cave to the abuse than there are refs that will stick it to him, especially with his history in the sport.

Make calls in his favor just to shut him up, or 50-50 calls in his favor so you don’t have to deal with the verbal assault and crying. Some of it done consciously, some of it done subconsciously. There are way more refs that will cave to the abuse than there are refs that will stick it to him, especially with his history in the sport.
I hear you SCNJ, but it makes no sense. I totally get working the refs. In any sport you have to pick your spots and know your audience, but I honestly can’t see how the constant over the top histrionics could possibly work on anyone with even a reasonable amount of confidence and self-respect. I just don’t get it.

Agree Smith comes off poorly, with all the challenging and whining. It's probably a small sample that I see though considering I don't watch many OSU matches.

Reactions: Leonard23
I hear you SCNJ, but it makes no sense. I totally get working the refs. In any sport you have to pick your spots and know your audience, but I honestly can’t see how the constant over the top histrionics could possibly work on anyone with even a reasonable amount of confidence and self-respect. I just don’t get it.
If you were at JMA for the Oklahoma State dual you would understand it. He owned the ref due to his over the top antics and the crowd knew it and reacted accordingly. He tried to pull the same “hands to the face” BS during the Suriano/Fix final in 2019. No one can argue with smith’s incredible success as a wrestler and he obviously tries to leverage this with the officials. His conduct as a coach makes Tom Brands look like Joe Torre.

My problem with Fix has nothing to do with Smith. Smith is a whole other issue. My problem with Fix is his "accidental" ingestion of daddy's unlabeled, steroid water. I think I remember the ostarine was traced back to and was purchased/supplied by an OSU trainer. Feel free to read between those lines.
Accidentally drank his father's roids, which coincidentally were recommended by OKST assistant coach, Chris Perry. Also, remember that Fix's dad was and still is an RTC coach at Cowboy Wrestling Club too.

Link to download the full USADA consent award:

https://t.co/xLfgi2cxaP?amp=1

Section 4:

4. Mr. Fix was unaware at the time that his father, Derek
Fix, had been using ostarine (under the name “MK-2866”) every day beginning in late December 2019 or early January 2020. Derek purchased the ostarine online approximately two weeks earlier on the advice of his friend, Chris Perry. According to Derek, he stored the ostarine in his garage refrigerator and would take the ostarine either sublingually or mixed in water bottles with “Vasayo” drink mix. (Vasayo is a health and wellness supplement company for whom Derek’s wife, Mr. Fix’s mother, serves as a representative.) Though the ostarine itself remained in Derek’s garage refrigerator,
sometimes the water bottles mixed with ostarine and Vasayo drink mix would be placed in the refrigerator inside his house.

Last edited:
Announcers on TV were saying it had a bit to do with being a 7th year senior who wrestles a boring defensive style. They compared him to Gomez who fans love and also is a 7th year senior, but one who is exciting to watch. .

The whole covid year screwed everything up. Will never understand why the class of 2020 got 3 cracks at nationals while the classes of 2021-2024 get 5 cracks.

2020 should have been the free season since there was no tournament, not 2021. Feel bad for someone like Kolodzik who pulled his redshirt in 2020, wrestled in 5 duals and his conference tournament and then his career was over.

Smith is a well accomplished wrestler and coach. With that, refs can be more willing to listen to what he is saying and take it into account in the decision making process. During this NCAA, a ref made a call (I forget what happened but I remember thinking it was the right call). Smith threw the brick, approached the ref and I heard him say "You know you can't make that call". Call was reversed. Right or wrong, people look at instances like that and think the refs give him leniency. Compare that to Goodale who threw bricks to challenge obvious takedowns or back back points for our guys and we didnt get the calls, even after review.

Agreed with you until the end. Sadly, Dan Gable sits idly by, tacitly approving the Brands version of crying and poor behavior far worse than John Smith. Real Woods clearly tried to bread Lemley (UMich) arm this season in 3rd period when he was down 6-2. DeSanto did the same at Nationals. Brands are Cobra Kai and sadly Gable sits there never saying a word complicit in their actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUpop and Leonard23
Agreed with you until the end. Sadly, Dan Gable sits idly by, tacitly approving the Brands version of crying and poor behavior far worse than John Smith. Real Woods clearly tried to bread Lemley (UMich) arm this season in 3rd period when he was down 6-2. DeSanto did the same at Nationals. Brands are Cobra Kai and sadly Gable sits there never saying a word complicit in their actions.
Tom Brands is a close second to the Ole’ Cowpoke on my s#+t list. It is not by accident that those two are Ferrari enablers.

Smith is a well accomplished wrestler and coach. With that, refs can be more willing to listen to what he is saying and take it into account in the decision making process. During this NCAA, a ref made a call (I forget what happened but I remember thinking it was the right call). Smith threw the brick, approached the ref and I heard him say "You know you can't make that call". Call was reversed. Right or wrong, people look at instances like that and think the refs give him leniency. Compare that to Goodale who threw bricks to challenge obvious takedowns or back back points for our guys and we didnt get the calls, even after review.
Agree 100%, reputation goes a long way. I remember Buxton coaching kids states freestyle. He got every close & some not even close calls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT