ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson and Carter

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
I was at an event last night and missed the game.
This Bryant team had bigs that could defend and match up to our two B1G 10 experienced big men?

Why didn’t Shaq and Myles dominate Bryant and score 30 points between them?

This Bryant team had bigs that could defend and match up to our two B1G 10 experienced big men?

The team was pushing the pace unnecessarily throughout the game and this was not a traditional half court game. There will be 20 to 22 "normal games", where better teams will get back on defense and the execution of offense in half court and bigs will be more likely.

That's a great question and I was wondering that most game. We choose to go smaller and heave up the threes and go one on one a lot. Up tempo with poor finishing and then of course missed the foul shots.

The team was pushing the pace unnecessarily throughout the game and this was not a traditional half court game. There will be 20 to 22 "normal games", where better teams will get back on defense and the execution of offense in half court and bigs will be more likely.
So had we rebounded the ball, gathered ourselves and allowed our big men to get down the court, we could have fed them and win by 20?

There were time last year we pushed the ball with speed beautifully during 10-0 12-0 runs.

But after the first pass, if the fast break isn’t there, you’ve gotta reverse the ball, set up your offense and let the big guys get in position for rebounds and in-let passes.
Sounds like we played like crazy men

Last edited:
So had we rebounded the ball, gathered ourselves and allowed our big men to get down the court, we could have fed them and win by 20?

Not necessarily at all the case....I dont believe Johnson and Carter are your best options in this "smaller" lineup games. RU had turnovers that were unforced and just didnt make enough 3 point shots and FTs.

Not necessarily at all the case....I dont believe Johnson and Carter are your best options in this "smaller" lineup games. RU had turnovers that were unforced and just didnt make enough 3 point shots and FTs.
Why?
They had guys who could contest Myles and Shaq underneath

Johnson has to demand the ball when he has position. Some people thought Carter played a good game but his defense was horrible and he looked out of shape to me.

Constant subbing (figuring out lineups), poor perimeter D and a pathetic display from the line.

this should of been a 20 point game

Reactions: bac2therac
There were time last year we pushed the ball with speed beautifully during 10-0 12-0 runs.

But after the first pass, if the fast break isn’t there, you’ve gotta reverse the ball, set up your offense and let the big guys get in position for rebounds and inlet passes.
Pretty much did. Plus we still can't shoot. It's got to get better in that regard or it will be a long season.

I thought the pace of the game did not suit Myles well at all last night. Other than some nicely executed alley oops he did little on the offensive end and got few touches.

Slightly off topic but why would we want to play "normal games" as you put it against better teams?

I agree - shouldnt need to push the pace against Bryant.

But for the same reason, against better teams it might be better for Rutgers to push the pace?

The same conversations happen with the football team.
Everyone wants to win "ugly" and "old school" because thats what they grew up with.
But this plan doesn't usually work for the under skilled team.

But after the first pass, if the fast break isn’t there, you’ve gotta reverse the ball, set up your offense and let the big guys get in position for rebounds and in-let passes.
Bryant played a zone defense and dared Rutgers to shoot 3 pointers.Mulcahy was effective at the top of the key passing the ball to Johnson and Carter under the basket.If Rutgers had shooters in the corners, it would have opened the inside game for easy baskets.

That's a great question and I was wondering that most game. We choose to go smaller and heave up the threes and go one on one a lot. Up tempo with poor finishing and then of course missed the foul shots.
Your observations have me doubtful about the team being able to play an up tempo style. Poor decision making and shot selection reared their ugly heads. Some players tend to get out of control on the break.

We did force some runs we should have pulled out. Also, Bryant has a couple of Bigs with quick hops that blocked a lot of our shots inside. They played a lot of 2-3 and then some matchup zone. We didn’t go inside enough but had 3 nice alley oops.

I thought the pace of the game did not suit Myles well at all last night. Other than some nicely executed alley oops he did little on the offensive end and got few touches.
Agree but he also had a nice look at the end vs a 6’5 F that he should have brought through the rim with the ball on a dunk but put up a soft baby hook instead that missed.

They were at the rim plenty. Could not finish.

One of the late point-blank misses by Johnson had him throwing his arms up like "c'mon, man".... but that moment of not getting back on D saw Bryant go 5-4 the other way and get a 3. Can't get down on himself - needs to have amnesia and just get on with the next play.

Reactions: bac2therac
One of the late point-blank misses by Johnson had him throwing his arms up like "c'mon, man".... but that moment of not getting back on D saw Bryant go 5-4 the other way and get a 3. Can't get down on himself - needs to have amnesia and just get on with the next play.
I assume the hands up was directed at the ref for a no call?
If so, you can’t do that.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
He had a guard on him on that point blank miss then the 3 the other way. That was bRUtal.

Bryant played a zone defense and dared Rutgers to shoot 3 pointers.Mulcahy was effective at the top of the key passing the ball to Johnson and Carter under the basket.If Rutgers had shooters in the corners, it would have opened the inside game for easy baskets.

It was weird to me that only Mulcahy seemed capable of flashing to the foul line, getting open and finding a man. When he wasn't in nobody could do it. So strange, its a pretty simple thing to do .

He had a guard on him on that point blank miss then the 3 the other way. That was bRUtal.

‘Missed layup for a 3. I dunno’ - my live game thread comment. The ‘I dunno’ to put it mildly was being kind.

We missed layups, FTs, and 3s with incessant regularity. Basically if a shot went up I assumed it would be a miss - and a good chunk of time it wasn’t close.

Shooting was horrible and nobody was going up strong. Got so many shots blocked by a smaller team. Soft all around.

Reactions: FrankZ

Didn't seem like it from body language - seemed more disappointed in himself than looking for a call. Like "c'mon, how do you miss a chippy like that" rather than "where was the foul, ref?"

Either way, can't have lapses like that while the other team is pushing out in transition off your miss.

Reactions: JDNB and zappaa
That was my take watching it. Not about self ...but the worst part as Chopin noted was him just standing there.

@zappaa

Forget everything else being said (sorry fellas). With very few exceptions during the 40 minutes of play last night we played like absolute shit and they hit threes like crazy while busting their asses all over the floor.

That’s really all you need to know about last night in my humble opinion. Hopefully that was the “what the ****” game of the OOC schedule.

Johnson pouted a bit after missing a shot and body language was bad. I think these guys have to get back to work a bit and become hungry, rather than reading press clippings about their improvement.

Reactions: MV9000 and gregkoko
From the perspective of a fan who never played BB, the end of the game looked like we had no idea of what to do. If Bryant had another 20 seconds to play, I think we lose.
And, even though I didn't play BB, I could always shoot free throws! Not hard with nobody in your face.

To make more of a forest for the trees analysis, each of Carter and Johnson only averaged a bit more than 4 points per game last year. So it can't be that surprising that they are not suddenly dominant players the very next year in the very first game, even against Bryant. And Johnson did score 9 points, which is well above last year's average. He has potential, but a ways to go. Carter better start reaching his potential soon because this is his last year.

But, in truth, the real missing piece down low is in Oregon. His absence hurts.

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
Johnson was fine last night. Bryant's zone kept us from going inside to Johnson and Carter. Johnson finished 3 alley-oop dunks, shot 4-7 and grab 7 boards. Playing small, fast OC teams will always pose a problem for our big guys who are here to bang with the bigs of the Big 10.

Didn't seem like it from body language - seemed more disappointed in himself than looking for a call. Like "c'mon, how do you miss a chippy like that" rather than "where was the foul, ref?"

Either way, can't have lapses like that while the other team is pushing out in transition off your miss.
Agree I think he realized the guy behind him was only 6’5” and he should have dunked like I said above. Not easy for him to get back and stop Same smaller guy from hitting a 3. They went small and then we went small after that one. Game was not as close as score. We missed a lot of shots and they hit a lot of 3’s. We had double digit leads for most of the game but still almost lost which is scary. Part of it was also rotating players so much trying to find combos that will gel. Also took too many risks on D which led to open 3’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT